Cakewalk auto-saving too often

Matt Dunn

yes, its amazing isn't it. I set mine to time instead of amount of changes as I sometimes will track an event in event list and move it from 25 -70 one increment at at a time. Adds up quickly.

edit: sorry, read the whole thread and it seems you may have other issues. Don't know how to delete a post.

Edited by Michael Fogarty

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 6:24 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

If you have a plugin in your project that has a lot of parameters and its notifying every parameter as a change it could add up quickly.
What happens if you set the number of changes to 0 to make it only respect the number of minutes?

There are many people having this issue. Noel says it's caused by a plugin with a lot of parameter changes. This is happening even without plugins. Something is wrong. I'm having this issue with one midi file and no plugins. Also, it would be great if CW didn't count plugin parameter changes as a file change. It doesn't make sense. If that is indeed the issue, perhaps there's some way to not have CW count plugin changes in the autosave function and only count actual changes to the file that the user makes. Very frustrating.

JG

It's also worth noting that any time I have a crash in CW, it is at the exact same time as an autosave occurs. 100% of the time. I've raised this issue for years and years. CW autosave is messed up. It doesn't respect anything you have set in the preferences as far as zero changes, or setting a time limit. It simply doesn't work. I wish CW would look at these issues that have been present for ages.

JG

On 2/21/2022 at 5:01 AM, jono grant said:

It's also worth noting that any time I have a crash in CW, it is at the exact same time as an autosave occurs. 100% of the time. I've raised this issue for years and years. CW autosave is messed up. It doesn't respect anything you have set in the preferences as far as zero changes, or setting a time limit. It simply doesn't work. I wish CW would look at these issues that have been present for ages.

JG

I have noticed this as well, that it "often happens" at this time. But it is usually if I have a pretty CPU intensive song loaded with heavy VST activity. I did take off the "autosave" and one time when I desperately needed it, it wasn't there and I lost work. I do it by minutes, not by changes. It seems to work better I assume because less calculations. I set it for 15 minutes.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:57 PM, jono grant said:

There are many people having this issue. Noel says it's caused by a plugin with a lot of parameter changes. This is happening even without plugins. Something is wrong. I'm having this issue with one midi file and no plugins. Also, it would be great if CW didn't count plugin parameter changes as a file change. It doesn't make sense. If that is indeed the issue, perhaps there's some way to not have CW count plugin changes in the autosave function and only count actual changes to the file that the user makes. Very frustrating.

JG

If you're working in the PRV, this can generate a lot of changes as IIRC a lot of operations are done on an individual note by note basis  ( as opposed to the clips view, where operations are done on a clip by clip basis ).

The best thing to do when you're still at the stage of editing events/clips is to set your auto-save to be time based.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 4:51 AM, msmcleod said:

If you're working in the PRV, this can generate a lot of changes as IIRC a lot of operations are done on an individual note by note basis  ( as opposed to the clips view, where operations are done on a clip by clip basis ).

The best thing to do when you're still at the stage of editing events/clips is to set your auto-save to be time based.

I set it to 10 minute autosave only. There is no value set for amount of changes. Yet, it saves all the time! This is on files that have a fair bit going on, but still, why is it saving so much if set to 10 minutes?

Also, if I ever crash, it is always at the same time as an autosave...