Why Does Exporting Add Micro Seconds to my Output File

Aaron Needle

Question

I am having a problem with my audio exports when I begin at the starting marker of 0. This is causing an issue when passing bass lines or guitar parts with my bandmates.  It seems to add microseconds at the beginning of the audio export causing the timing to be misaligned when they import the audio file.  However, when I export starting at any other point on the timeline and they import it at that same point, the audio file timing is correctly aligned. For example, if I begin the export at a time of 1:02:000 and import it to the same project, everything is in sync. When I export at a time of 1:01:000, and import it to the same project, it is off by microseconds.

4 answers to this question

I cannot reproduce any difference between clips starting at 0 and a wav export.

To test,

I created several tracks containing audio data all starting at 0

Then exported a mix of the tracks.

Reimported the mix, flipped the phase of the mix and bounced all the tracks.

The bounce completely nulled out.

If there were any differences between the export and original tracks, the bounce would not null.

Mp3 is another story. It is not a suitable format for exchanging project data. 

9 hours ago, Aaron Needle said:

I am having a problem with my audio exports when I begin at the starting marker of 0. This is causing an issue when passing bass lines or guitar parts with my bandmates.  It seems to add microseconds at the beginning of the audio export causing the timing to be misaligned when they import the audio file.  However, when I export starting at any other point on the timeline and they import it at that same point, the audio file timing is correctly aligned. For example, if I begin the export at a time of 1:02:000 and import it to the same project, everything is in sync. When I export at a time of 1:01:000, and import it to the same project, it is off by microseconds.

Do us a favour quick in that same project. On the same file, go to the end clip / set you cursor on the next bar and zoom in as far as what Cakewalk allows to go. Is your cropping spot on? Take a snapshot for us if it's not. In the event that it overlap by 1:02:000 kindly go to the beginning of the clip and do the same including a snapshot and send us that too. 

I've reported a similar issue before.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/21452-202011-feedback/&do=findComment&comment=203116

Turns out when ripple edit is on, it caused that. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo