Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer upgrade from 7

cclarry

I'm part of a Sonar Facebook group that I am seriously considering leaving.  Every couple of days someone asks the same f****ing question:

"I've been using Sonar (1 - 8.5) on my (Win XP-Win 8) machine but I don't know if I should upgrade to CbB or Win10? What's the catch?"  

You can only 'friendly' respond so many times before the answer becomes.....just f****ing bite the bullet and upgrade....you don't need a f****ing forum to make the decision for you. Do some f*****ing research....seriously XP????

*I'll go have a drink now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 53mph said:

"I've been using Sonar (1 - 8.5) on my (Win XP-Win 8 ) machine but I don't know if I should upgrade to CbB or Win10? What's the catch?"  

TBH there are quite A LOT of people who aren't computer savvy.
Add to that another issue: in my (admittedly limited and anecdotal experience) music PCs tend to NOT get upgraded for fairly long times.
There is actually at least one catch: if you still need to use a certain older iLok driver, it no longer runs under recent Win 10 releases and will BSOD it.

So maybe some of these people might be "once burned, twice shy" in terms of upgrading.
It's exasperating but they might just be going by the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" principle and all that.

Edited by Cristian

9 hours ago, Cristian said:

TBH there are quite A LOT of people who aren't computer savvy.
Add to that another issue: in my (admittedly limited and anecdotal experience) music PCs tend to NOT get upgraded for fairly long times.
There is actually at least one catch: if you still need to use a certain older iLok driver, it no longer runs under recent Win 10 releases and will BSOD it.

So maybe some of these people might be "once burned, twice shy" in terms of upgrading.
It's exasperating but they might just be going by the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" principle and all that.

I get your point....but then why join a Facebook group to ask the question 'should I upgrade?' if you know of this issue?

Nah. If I were to be cruel, most of them are old guys in hats (what is it about hats and old guys?) 😆

Edited by 53mph
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 53mph said:

they might just be going by the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" principle

A lot to be said for that.

I actually stuck with 8.5 right up until X3 came out because I hated the drab grey interface of the X series. That and the fact that X1 was clearly a problem child. I bought back in at X3 only because of the melodyne integration and the fact that I was considering buying Addictive drums anyway, so the upgrade price made it a no-brainer and it was at least possible by then to replace some of the drab greyness and the way things were going it seemed like that this might be the last time it would be possible to grab actual install discs. I didn't bother with Platinum until they brought out the Tungsten theme and then it was like finally being home again, except someone had made a reasonable job of tarting the place up a bit. We all know what happened next......and I didn't even bother with that for a year or more. I still operate several updates behind as each release seems to be very quickly followed by something to fix that release. Might as well let those who feel compelled to have the latest and greatest every time take the pain. They obviously like it. 

Edited by paulo