Article: How to Use Cakewalk with NI Komplete Kontrol

Craig Anderton

There's a new tutorial on craiganderton.org - How to Use Cakewalk with Komplete Kontrol. In theory, Cakewalk doesn’t officially integrate with Native Instruments’ Komplete Kontrol keyboards—but in practice, there are ways to make this happen by using ACT. And, even though Komplete keyboards’ documentation says it works as a general-purpose MIDI control surface only when operating in stand-alone mode with the 5-pin DIN connections, there’s a workaround for that, too.

It's kind of a long article, but if you want to use the Komplete keyboards with Cakewalk, I'm pretty sure you'll find the  answers you need. Just note that you really have to follow the steps carefully, if you miss a step things won't work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

I have a Kontrol S49. It integrates nicely with NI Komplete Kontrol but is not very impressive as a general purpose MIDI controller keyboard due to the lack of sliders, not to mention no drum pads. My Akai MPK49 (sold) was much better in that respect. To compensate, I have purchased a Korg nanoKontrol2 which does have sliders. You can control multiple sliders, e.g., MIDI CC's, with the fingers of a single hand simultaneously but you can't do the same with rotary knobs. I fabricated a little bracket that holds the nanoKontrol2 above the left hand side of the Kontrol S49 far enough to still be able to reach the S49 left hand side buttons underneath.

Edited by Dav Mar

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:11 PM, Craig Anderton said:

I see 40+ views, has anyone tried this yet?

Craig,

When  I go back to the page,  it's not loading for me to view and test. 

Sorry, I was too impatient, it loaded.

Edited by jesse g

• 1 year later...

I found your info helpful, thanks.

I've been using NI Kontrol SS-88mkII with no issues for about 1 year. 

Several buttons do not work (not a surprise), but Play, Red, Stop all work in Cakewalk without a hitch.

Question: does the updated (2022.06) Cakewalk "Mackie Control" add any new helps for NI Kontrol SS keyboards? 

I am hoping for more functionality with other buttons: switch tracks, mute, solo, etc.

Timothy

I use a KK  S61 Mk1 all the time as a second control surface (to my Promix) set up as an MCU and everything works in the transport section except for the Loop button (don't really care).

I thought about adding a Nano control, but opted to build midi editor setups where pitch & mod touch strips become CC3 and CC11, or a couple of other expression controls, and changing to the general midi is a two button press on the keyboard. 

If I could get it to change track focus in CbB, I'd be in Val Halla.

• Like 1