MIDI Data Not Appearing in MIDI Track [SOLVED]

Larry Jones

On a project that I have been working on off and on for a few months, this suddenly happened today: I have an instance of Session Drummer 3 in this project, inserted as a MIDI track and 12 individual audio tracks. There are no "real" drums in this project. I was getting ready to experiment with the drum track, that is, replace some of the loops with other loops, when I noticed there was no MIDI data showing in the SD MIDI track. The drums play fine, and if I open PRV I can see all the MIDI notes there, and the drums sound when I click on one, but back in the timeline it still looks like an empty track.

I dragged a clip from the SD MIDI track into an adjacent track (the audio track for the kick) and then I could see the MIDI data. When I dragged it back to where it belongs, the data went away and it looked like an empty track again (but the drums still play fine). Plus, after dragging the clip back to the MIDI track, not only does it appear blank, but I can't move it a second time. After one move, the Smart Tool won't change into the Move Tool on that clip only, and there is no way to grab the clip and move it. Selecting the Move Tool itself doesn't help. If I close the project and reopen it, the situation is the same: no data appears in the MIDI track, and I can move the track, but only one time. The clips in this track seem to have their original names, things like "120 Shuffle D Hats" or "Record 4."

The only thing I can think of that I've done to this track since I first created it -- and I'm not even sure it was this track that I did it to -- is I may have pulled the MIDI track out of the track folder and then put it back in. I know I did this the other day, but I might have done it to a different instrument, I can't remember.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Any ideas what I might have done to cause this, or what I can try to fix it?

Edited by Larry Jones

1 hour ago, Cactus Music said:

Does the track have the MIDI icon?  Or the instrument tack icon?  Sorry I'm at work and cant post screenshot, but you know what I mean.

It is the MIDI track. It has the MIDI icon, which I always thought looked kind of like a DIN jack. But whatever. It's definitely the MIDI track.

I know all of you can't wait to give me the solution to this little puzzle (thanks @Cactus Music), but before you beat down my door, I have to tell you that I figured it out! I don't know the terminology to explain this exactly, but what happened was that I had accidentally zoomed vertically way in on the MIDI rack in question (slip of the mouse on that little zooming slider at the left end of the track), and the MIDI notes were actually there, but not in the portion of the track that I could see (they were below the visible portion). Once I zoomed back out it was all good. And the reason I could see the MIDI notes when I dragged the clip to another track was that the other track was not zoomed in.

So I'm back in business, although I cannot explain why CbB gave me only one shot at dragging a clip to another track (see my OP for that riddle).