MIDI conversion utility

Patrick Azzarello

Question

I have a couple of projects that were initially started at a much faster tempo than I want to see. For example, one was started at 160 BPM but I really need it to get down to @ 80 BPM. Obviously if I change the tempo it will be playing at 1/2 speed. 

Has anyone encounter this (or the opposite) and come up with a solution?  

Thanks in advance - 

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I don't get what you want to do. Is it to slow the song down?  

That's what I thought based on this:

5 hours ago, Patrick Azzarello said:

I have a couple of projects that were initially started at a much faster tempo than I want to see. For example, one was started at 160 BPM but I really need it to get down to @ 80 BPM. Obviously if I change the tempo it will be playing at 1/2 speed. 

although the references to "were initially started at" and "was started at" made me wonder if just the beginnings of the songs were too fast.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Please explain what the results you are after. 

^^^ This.

Out of curiosity, would this work for you?

image.png.12e4ad618b05aeddc3dd083e6fa4d0b6.png 

image.thumb.png.86ba17428599fcf4b0b481a61481cdd3.png

Note: "Before" is at 160 BPM; "After" is at 80 BPM.

4 hours ago, Patrick Azzarello said:

The problem is all the MIDI has been recorded/played at the previous, higher tempo.

Are you saying that the project includes both MIDI and audio?

Edited by User 905133
(3) to ask a Q about the content of the projects; (2) to add a short note; (1) to add an example
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

image.png.12e4ad618b05aeddc3dd083e6fa4d0b6.png 

User 905133's solution should work.   Half the tempo.  Then select all, then Process, change length.  Make sure both Change Duration and Start times are selected.  If there is no audio in the project, then deselect “Stretch Audio“

I have done this many time with MIDI projects.

The Length idea is helping a lot. Thank you - 

I'm trying to take MIDI tracks that I recorded at 170 BPM And convert them so they play at the same speed when I set the tempo to 85 (e.g., the song will be exactly the same length when I'm done). Tempo is constant throughout - not looking for ritards or accellerandos or anything else of the sort. 

No audio - I'm putting together a track with MIDI only and will eventually bounce to audio. 

Here's the process. 

• For each of the tracks I want to modify I bounce them to a single clip (the length of the song) and make certain the clip starts at Bar 1, Beat 1
  • I then use the Length process as described above on the individual tracks
  • (And of course I already created a backup of the original. 

The only issue I'm currently seeing is with the drum parts. What is working well for the other parts (Piano, midi bass, midi guitar, oboe) isn't working for the drums - the drums are being offset for some reason.  Even when I add some 1/4 note hi hats to the intro (where there are no drums), it doesn't line up. 

I'm going to play around a bit more and update the thread tomorrow - unfortunately CW crashed on me and I'm not going to risk mixing crashes and fatigue for much longer.... don't want to lose everything :( 

Quick update....

That did the trick. I must have messed up the drum clip (slid it over accidentally). I went back to the original tempo and cut/pasted the drum part in and then did the Length trick and it appears to be fine. 

Also, the crash was caused by the TTS1 plugin. I archived all tracks that used it (it was a placeholder anyway) until I can reassign everything.

Solved - Thanks to everyone. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Azzarello said:

The Length idea is helping a lot. Thank you - 

I'm trying to take MIDI tracks that I recorded at 170 BPM And convert them so they play at the same speed when I set the tempo to 85 (e.g., the song will be exactly the same length when I'm done). Tempo is constant throughout - not looking for ritards or accellerandos or anything else of the sort. 

You can also do other tempo ratios other than 50%

The formula is  (Old tempo / New Tempo) x 100 % to get the length change. When entering in in the Process | Length dialogue box, drop the mantissa.