Activating Cakewalk Software

This FAQ answers common questions about Cakewalk activation.

What is activation?

All Cakewalk software requires an activation process to unlock full use of the software. Activation is a process that links the software to your BandLab account. Activation is required before you can use the software and is a seamless process that typically only takes a second after you sign on to your BandLab account from within Cakewalk.

Why is activation required?

Activation ensures that you are running genuine Cakewalk software obtained from our servers and that you have a currently supported version. Running an updated version ensures a better user experience, by getting the latest features and fixes to the software. It also guarantees that your software stays activated, because you get a fresh activation lease every time you install an update.
Note: Backend changes to the BandLab services may periodically require the software to be updated to remain compatible.

Why do I get a sign in message when I start my Cakewalk application?

Normally activation is an automatic process if you are signed in to your BandLab account from within the application. If the activation lease has expired and you are not signed in,  you will be prompted to sign in to activate on startup. 

Occasionally, saved sign-in credentials may occasionally expire requiring you to sign in again. This happens very infrequently (every few weeks) and is a normal part of the single sign on security process.   

How do I sign in to BandLab 

Sign in is prompted automatically only when needed, such as when the application is in a deactivated state or when you try to use feature that requires access to BandLab services. You must sign in to BandLab using the same credentials that you used to create your BandLab account. You may also use any one of the alternate sign-in mechanisms such as using your Google, Apple, Facebook account info as long as you have associated those with your BandLab account.
If you aren't prompted to sign in via a notification, you may also choose to sign in manually by selecting Sign In to BandLab from the Cakewalk Help menu.

On choosing to sign in, a web browser window will open displaying the sign in page below.

sign-in.png

How to activate Cakewalk software

Cakewalk applications must always be activated by using in-app activation or via Offline activation
If your PC is online, activation is done automatically and seamlessly.  The first time you install and run Cakewalk, you will be prompted to sign in to BandLab, using the same credentials you used to create your BandLab account.  Once you sign in successfully, Cakewalk will will be automatically activated.

In-app activation/refresh

Cakewalk is normally activated automatically directly from within Cakewalk.  When starting Cakewalk for the first time, you will be prompted to sign-in. After signing in, Cakewalk will automatically activate itself.  Under normal circumstances, activation will require no manual user intervention going forward, beyond the initial sign-in.

Offline activation

If your DAW does not have an active internet connection, offline activation is also an option. Offline actication, is presently unavailable but an activation utility will be made available soon.

How long does activation last?

If you are signed in to BandLab and your system is online, the application will stay permanently activated without any user intervention. If your system is offline, however, the activation lease can last from 1 - 3 months, after which you will need to reactivate to continue using it. When this happens, an activation required notification will be displayed .
Activation may occasionally be required if you make major changes to your system such as  installing a new OS, changing the motherboard, etc. Reactivation normally occurs automatically and seamlessly when you launch Cakewalk if it's needed. However, if you don't have an active internet connection, you will need to enable it or follow the offline activation steps.

Do I always need to be online for Cakewalk to work?

No. You only need to be online in order to update the software to the latest version or when activating it. If you choose the in-app activation method, under normal circumstances, activation will require no manual user intervention beyond the initial sign-in to BandLab.  An internet connection is required to activate as described above but is not necessary for general Cakewalk usage.

Does signing in to BandLab or reactivating Cakewalk transmit information about my usage to BandLab?

The only purpose of activating Cakewalk is to register the software with BandLab and verify validity of the program. No other user data is transmitted during this process. The sign-in data is used to verify your BandLab user account identity during operations such as refreshing activation, or when using BandLab specific features to upload or download BandLab projects. No other data is transmitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am still running Win 7.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft installer created a new problem. When I try to sign in no letters appear in either field box. I closed and started Cakewalk different ways. Sometimes I open a project from Win Explorer, especially when a project crashes, which has been happening more frequently. When I open this way I cannot put any text in either box. When I open the normal way and the Cakewalk Start Screen appears the Sign In page also appears and I can input letters, but still not the letter C, lower or upper case.

Now I have 12 days to reactivate. I feel confident this issue can be solved, but I will need Noel's and Jesse's help.

Jesse, big thanks. That did the trick. The only strange thing is that Bandlab Assistant doesn't completely update. It just sort of dies before it hits 50%. Nothing hangs up, no error messages. I  even checked in appdata\local\programs and there wasn't a new file in \bandlab-assistant.

Right now it isn't very important. I know I need to build a new Win 10 computer. Maybe these issues are a result of Win 7.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:34 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

What is activation?

Cakewalk by BandLab is provided to users free of cost by BandLab. The software is linked to your BandLab account by a process called activation. The first time you install Cakewalk it is automatically activated. From time to time  re-activation may be necessary. The reactivation window is typically once every 6 months and requires you to be logged in to your BandLab account from either Cakewalk itself (preferable) or via BandLab assistant.

Why is activation required?

Activation ensures that you are running genuine Cakewalk software obtained from our servers and that you have a current version of CbB that is actively supported by us. Running an updated version ensures a better user experience by getting the latest features and fixes to the software. Additionally back end changes to the BandLab cloud may periodically require the software to be updated to remain compatible.

Do I always need to be online to BandLab for Cakewalk to work?

No. You only need to be online in order to update the software to the latest version or when activating it. If you choose the in-app activation method, under normal circumstances, activation will require no manual user intervention going forward, beyond the initial sign-in.  An Internet connection is required  for performing activation as described above but not required for general Cakewalk usage.

How to activate Cakewalk

Cakewalk can be activated in two ways - by using the in-app activation  (preferred) or by using BandLab assistant

Activation will occur automatically when launching Cakewalk if it is in the “grace period”, the period that begins when you see the timeout toast notification asking you to sign in to BandLab to activate soon. You may also manually refresh activation at any time with the Help > Refresh Activation command.

In-app activation/refresh

You can now activate Cakewalk directly from within the app, without requiring BandLab Assistant.  When starting Cakewalk for the first time, if the app has not yet been activated via BandLab assistant, you will be presented with a BandLab sign-in dialog box. After signing in, Cakewalk will automatically activate itself.  Under normal circumstances, activation will require no manual user intervention going forward, beyond the initial sign-in.

Offline activation

If your DAW is does not have an internet connection offline activation is also an option, which requires use of BandLab Assistant to submit an offline activation request (see Offline activation).

Got it done. Thanks for the explanation.