Your Name in the Wind

RexRed

I backed off the vocals a bit, I hope it is okay they sounded perfect in my ear buds but when I listened to the song through my big Custom speakers (15 inch woofers and radial horns) the vocal was way too forward as Wookie so helpfully stated.

So I backed them down a bit.

I hope it is better. I think it is better but I am not sure because it sounded great in the earbuds but earbuds have no good precision when it comes to placement of the main vocal on top of the music it takes big speakers to get that setting right.

Thanks again for the help! 

You do help a lot and inspire me to finish the songs rather than leave them with a few flaws that really do detract from the whole effort.

I also fixed some timing and pitch areas in the vocals. Thanks David, Wookie, Jack, Freddie and Kurt for the compliments and valuable feedback!!! :)

• Like 1

Rex , I don't know how you're doing it , but what ever you're doing keep it up. You have really been on a roll ..  Everything you've posted lately I think is your best work to date  and now you just raised the bar.  That was perfect.   mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, garybrun said:

Very nice..  excellent vocal.
What is your new microphone.

I thought your choice of reverb was great..
Well done.

Hey Gary, thanks for the compliment!

The new microphone is 

Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0BQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love every single thing about it.

The sound is very responsive and it is perfectly accurate (at least to my ears) in reproducing transients.

That was the reason why I went searching for a new mic.

My old mic was not giving me good recordings.

I like the screw that tightens the included shock mount, it seem sturdy and only requires a little bit of torque to tighten it firmly.

and I like the included black velvet like bag that fits perfectly over the mic when I am not using it to keep dust out of the mic. 

I have the mic on a desktop stand, the stand has a weighted cylinder base and a pole that comes up out of it.

It is perfect for desktop recording! 

Yes, the reverb is a REmatrix convolution reverb on a parallel bus JPVerbs "rich ballad" patch. :)

3 hours ago, jack c. said:

what vst plugins comp,verb etc on your voice?jack c.

He Jack! The reverb is a REmatrix convolution reverb on a parallel bus using the JPVerbs "rich ballad" patch.

I used the ProChannel compressor and EQ and Neutron 3 in the effects bin along with Waves Vocal Rider.

I side chained the lead vocal so it would cut an impression out of the music tracks and sit better into the mix.

And,

Thanks Lynn for checking the mix on your systems!  It is nice to know this song is translating well across other speakers! I hope this song does well, I am switching to a more pop style for the time being. Maybe a more universal appeal never hurt. :)

Rex that's a beautiful piece of work. Truly stunning vocal - the clarity really cuts through and such a simple stripped back arrangement. I absolutely loved it and was reminded a little of some of those Eagles ballads. Top work all round fella. Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Rex that's a beautiful piece of work. Truly stunning vocal - the clarity really cuts through and such a simple stripped back arrangement. I absolutely loved it and was reminded a little of some of those Eagles ballads. Top work all round fella. Andy

Wow Andy, The Eagles, I am very flattered! I grew up on them, I aspire be compared to such greats! THANK YOU.... 👍🎶🌟