no midi

Carl Wade

Another  Newbie in need of help. i just recently  installed Cakewalk by bandlab I'm doing fair but I just can't seem to get the midi working. 

nothing shows up in the input and output. The program is asking to choose there nothing to choose. Can anyone help me? I have a keyboard connected to a Focusrite 212 connect to laptop. Thanks in advances

15 hours ago, Carl Wade said:

I have a keyboard connected to a Focusrite 212 connect to laptop.

As the others have said, you'll need an interface with MIDI ports to do MIDI. If you're connecting the audio in/out from the keyboard to the interface, that will only get you audio, not MIDI.
What keyboard are you using and does it have a USB port? If it does and it's a pretty modern device, you may be able to get away with not buying another interface.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

You know this is actually funny. We get hundreds of posts where the OP says “I hooked up my midi cable (or USB) and there’s no sound. “
We politely explain that midi is not audio that it is only data  

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen “ I hook up my Audio cables and there’s no midi “. 

But chances are that the op has a keyboard with a USB MIDI output and won’t need to return the interface.
 I’ll blame this on pour salesmanship in the store. They should have asked the op what they were trying to accomplish and supplied them with the correct gear

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1