Unavoidable bug - Mouse movement limited and shuttle issue

jkoseattle

Question

I have updated to the newest CbB, restarted the computer, this bug won't go away. After working in Track View for a few minutes, all of a sudden I can't move the mouse cursor above or below the region containing the shuttle and measure numbers. I have to hit the windows key or Alt-Tab to activate an entirely different application to get full motion of the mouse cursor back. At the same time, if I change the now marker when paused, when I playback it stars playing where the Now marker was before I moved it.  I don't know what i'm doing to make this happen. 

10 answers to this question

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I've had the same experience with the mouse cursor suddenly getting weird. This happened to me one or two versions ago, so it doesn't sound like something that changed in the latest CbB update. Does this bug always happen in the same project for you?

On 5/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, kellerpj said:

I get the same issue when I try to use the "Jog" function.  Check this post.

I've found the "jog" function can be toggled by pressing the J key.  You don't have to hold the J key down.

And I've also had the experience of the mouse being captured by a child window.   It is annoying but switching away from CW fixes it.

Maybe the OP is accidentally pressing the J key.

Hi all, sorry I didn't get back to this post. It's still been happening, and it's getting so frequent that I will never ever get into any kind of flow unless I deal with it. @msmcleod both the things you told me to check needed changing, so I changed them both and that makes me hopeful. I might be accidentally toggling Jog on because it's assigned to a mouse button, though I never use Jog in Track View, only PRV. 

Are you using scaling in your display properties? If so try turning it off.  I do use scaling and the behavior you describe is exactly what happens if I try to use the scrub tool or jog with it on. I need the 150% scale to be able to read screen so I have learned to live without jog/scrub. 

No display scaling here. 

And yes, you don't have to hold the "J" key, but if you do, it will only be active for as long as you hold the "J" key down.  You can also press and release the "J" key to go into Jog mode.  If you do that, then subsequently pressing and releasing the "J" key will take it out of Jog mode.  (At least that's how it used to work when "jogging" on the time line, but not now.)

I used the Jog function for many years before October 2018 without issue.  It was one of the primary steps in my workflow for creating practice tracks.  Really sorry to see this has stopped working as it used to.

One thing to note though; if you use the Jog function by "jogging" on a single track (my steps to reproduce the issue plays all tracks by "jogging" on the time line), it works as expected.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue.  Very surprised that more people don't seem to use (or care) about the jog function.

Later,

Paul

I use the job function constantly in PRV, and could n't live without it. I've devoted a mouse key to "J" for that purpose. But trying to use it in Track View is asking for trouble. It's never worked for me, even many years ago.