SI Drum Kit maxing out Gain Bar unless -INF - Silent Cakewalk

Mark Baker

Question

Hi all. I'm still very much a noob at Cakewalk, and I was noodling around creating a drum track with some audio clips as added percussion. I applied a reverb FX to the SI Drum Kit, and didn't like the way that the bass drum was reverbing, so I decided to split the drum midi into two sections, each going to a different instance of the SI Drum Kit (one with FX applied and one without). However, I get a silent playback now unless I drop the Gain slider in the Console for the track down to -INF. Anything other than that results in the bar being slammed into the red and Cakewalk refusing to play any sound (even if the MIDI track or bass drum instrument are muted).

At first, I thought it might be fact that Omni is set in the console, but everything else is None, but that changes when I select a different strip, so I don't think it is that. I've attached a screenshot which I think shows all the relevant inputs and outputs and I don't know what else to check.

Thank you very much.

Cakewalk Drum Error.PNG

2 answers to this question

Interesting. I looked at your image for a while and couldn't see anything immediately amiss. However, it might help if you told us what audio interface and driver type you are using. If your using the built in audio card then there is a setting for recording everything that is played out of the audio card in many of the drivers. This could cause a feeback loop possibly.  Doe the meter go away if you disable the echo button? (The orange one highlighted on track 4)

13 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Interesting. I looked at your image for a while and couldn't see anything immediately amiss. However, it might help if you told us what audio interface and driver type you are using. If your using the built in audio card then there is a setting for recording everything that is played out of the audio card in many of the drivers. This could cause a feeback loop possibly.  Doe the meter go away if you disable the echo button? (The orange one highlighted on track 4)

Hi @reginaldStjohn I am relatively new to Cakewalk, so I haven't done a huge amount with it at the moment. I did previously have it set up with my Zoom G1u with ASIO but as I was just working on some "mouse-and-keyboard programmed" backing tracks, I had no interface. so it was set to WASAPI shared (so I could have Chrome/YT etc.).

Weirdly, despite opening/closing the project several times yesterday, and working on some other projects with no issues, it persisted but it has gone this morning. The only real different is that the laptop was shutdown overnight (as opposed to just restarting Cakewalk which I had already tried). Maybe that does point towards an internal soundcard error in some way. Looks like it has been resolved for now, but I'll obviously come back if it reoccurs.

Thank you