Cannot solo Buss and track simultaneously

Bassfaceus

Hello..

I should be able to this right?

Ive setup a new stereo bus routed my drum tracks to it..all good

try to solo drum buss and bass track ...cant do it. its a setting somewhere but i cant work it out..

any help appreciated thanks

OK so ive checked out some of my other mixes that use busses

and i cant solo track and buss es with them either.

that cant be right..

i want to solo my bussed drums with my unbussed bass (track)

weird.

Edited by Bassfaceus

Track solo and bus solo work independently from each other but bus solo overrides everything since its soloing the destination of tracks. When you solo a bus you are telling the system to only listen to inputs for that bus. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. If you want to hear tracks that are not routed to that bus you will have to additionally solo the corresponding bus that those tracks go to. As Max says if you want to solo different groups of tracks then you can either use groups to solo the group of tracks simultaneously or you can use aux tracks and route your drums to the aux.

Another quick option if you do this frequently is to set up groups.  Hover over the bass tracks solo button, right click - select groups - pick group A. Next hover over the drum tracks one at a time or put in folder and right click the solo button. Select group A again. (Be sure all the solos are turn off before you start {they all need to match unless you are using this for a quick switch to compare}) Now any time you click any solo button from any of the tracks you grouped together they will all solo.  Tracks can only be assigned to one group at a time.  I'm not sure I exactly get what you are trying to do. If I had more details I might be able to help more.

In retrospect - you can also mute everything you don't want to hear - this can be grouped as well.

Max Arwood

Thanks for the replies..

What i am trying to do is simple..

I have 6 drum trax routed to a bus which has comp, EQ etc

I want to solo one single bass track which i normally do not route 

to a bus and the aforementioned drum bus ..cant do it.

all the methods suggested group solo etc...do not include the fx included on the drum bus.

but the way i am getting around it is using AUX tracks..

these seem to have (afaik)   all the benefits of bus es

and none of the drawbacks...

what am i missing here?

Edited by Bassfaceus

yep can do that ...

the way you are suggesting is to take trax that dont really need to be put in busses

1x bass 1 x acoustic guitar 1x electric guitar 1x voc 

which are already on separate trax

just so i can have the benefit of being able to solo  a buss and other random trax

call me intuitive, but it doesnt make sense to me from a work flow POV

15 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

yep can do that ...

the way you are suggesting is to take trax that dont really need to be put in busses

just so i can have the benefit of being able to solo  a buss and other random trax

The bus pane stores destinations and the track pane stores sources.

So if you solo a destination bus you are telling the engine to ignore all sources that do not route to that destination. If you think of routing that way then perhaps it will be more intuitive. If we mixed and matched solo between the track and bus pane I think many users could get confused. e.g. I have only Bus "A" soloed but why am I still seeing Bus "B" in my mix?

In your use it seems like you are trying to solo sources but using the bus pane to achieve this. When you use aux tracks they are essentially the same as buses but since they are treated as sources they following the same soloing rules as other tracks.   Hope this helps.

15 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

yep can do that ...

Yes.. Buses are cheep. You could have an instrument bus for single instruments. You have a lot of leeway.