USB-C headphones don't show with ASIO

Maghock

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum section. I couldn't seem to find one aimed at technical support. Hope you'll bear with me. 🙂

I'm new to Cakewalk and new to music production in general. But I'm excited about it as I've been playing the piano my whole life.

My laptop has no 3.5 mm jack output port. Instead, it has two USB-C ports and comes with an USB-C to jack adapter. The adapter works fine with my jack headphones for all ordinary audio purposes (Spotify, streaming movies, that sort of stuff).

But in Cakewalk (or other DAW's I've tried), if I set Driver Mode to ASIO in Preferences -> Audio -> Playback and Recording, the adapter is not listet under Audio -> Devices -> Output Drivers. The adapter (and thus my headphones) only shows if Driver Mode is set to MME, which is not a good MIDI experience.

This means that right now I can only use my laptop speakers when recoding MIDI, which works but is not ideal for making music.

Is there a way I can get a set of speakers or headphones to work with Cakewalk and ASIO, either with the adapter or some other device?
I tried installing ASIO4ALL, but it did not work. Maybe a cheap Audio Interface might work? Bear in mind my laptop only has a single USB-A port as well, but a dongle will fix that.

The OS is Windows 10 64 bit. In device management the adapter is shown as "Asus USB DAC".

Thank you in advance for any and all advice, suggestions, and help!

Hi. Do you not have the option to use WASAPI? It should perform better than MME.

I suspect that the USB-C to Jack adapter does not come with ASIO drivers, and that is the reason you don't have that option.

A budget Audio Interface (AI) with proper ASIO drivers would help a lot.

Others will hopefully chime in with AI suggestions.

A budget will be needed for getting good advice.

All the best.

To add something for you  to start reading:
https://consordini.com/best-budget-audio-interfaces-under-100/

Edited by Zargg

On 2/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Zargg said:

Hi. Do you not have the option to use WASAPI? It should perform better than MME.

I suspect that the USB-C to Jack adapter does not come with ASIO drivers, and that is the reason you don't have that option.

A budget Audio Interface (AI) with proper ASIO drivers would help a lot.

Others will hopefully chime in with AI suggestions.

A budget will be needed for getting good advice.

All the best.

To add something for you  to start reading:
https://consordini.com/best-budget-audio-interfaces-under-100/

This was very helpful.

"WASAPI Shared" recognizes both my laptop speakers and my headphones through the adapter. And the latency is great too.

Is there anything I should be aware of using WASAPI Shared instead of ASIO? 

Also, I learned a lot about Audio Interfaces from your link. :) 

Thank you very much