Add Envelope gain parameters for \_ / not |_ |

Max Arwood

When I am editing volumes with gain envelopes -  I love the new gain envelope stuff, but It is rare when I would need the sides of the gain edit to be straight up and down. It would be nice to be able to add a slope to both sides kind of like in a crossfade on clips. \ / not | | that way the volume does not jump. I have been doing this manually but some type of parameter in the preferences would be great.

Thanks,

Max Arwood

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

One idea would be having the mouse wheel control that slope much like you do with the Q parameter in many digital EQ plugins these days.

This is an excellent suggestion - I was about to say I would never use the OP's idea and straight lines work well for me....but this way you make it so it's there if needed but doesn't affect those who never use it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

@Max Arwood, not meaning to toot my own horn but see the bonus tip at the end of this blog post.

Colin's tip is so awesome, it deserves a mention here! 😀

For quicker access for ya'll and for posterity's sake (in case Colin's blog ever goes away): create two nodes, drag a selection outside the nodes and then drag downwards - voilá, you have slopes on both sides as Cakewalk will add nodes to the outer selection.

I suggested something similar a while back. Why not make it so that up-down mouse movement adjusts the level and sideways mouse motion adjusts the slopes? That way, when you create the envelope section, you can set the level and end slopes with a single operation. The slope form could be configurable somewhere (linear, fast, slow etc.) as well as in relation to what the slopes are adjusted: inside the selection, outside the selection or half in, half out.

@Colin Nicholls's tip is really awesome, didn't come to think of that, but I think mine would require even less clickin' and draggin'. 😁  Sideways mouse motion is not utilized at all now when creating the envelope sections. The mouse wheel could be good as well, as @Bruno de Souza Lino suggested, but maybe not while keeping the left mouse button down setting the level.

Edited by petemus

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

@Max Arwood, not meaning to toot my own horn but see the bonus tip at the end of this blog post.

Only issue I can see with three method is that you need quite a large amount of zoom if you want to do a small change in a small bit of the clip. Or you want a large spike for a transient or peak. Not to say the method shown is not useful.