Audiosnap and other workflow issues

Craig Reeves

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

now it hangs for about 10 seconds or so when it hits the Melodyne loading part. I contacted both parties and neither knows why. They say it shouldn't happen. I've even done a fresh install of my system to fix it thinking something got corrupted and nope. Something changed and that's just how it is now on my system. Others have checked for me and are not experiencing that. So there is one problem that kind of stinks.

That happens for me with CbB and Melodyne too - Celemony haven't been able to solve it.  Happened when I went to 3.x to 4.x (and now 5.x).  Every time I scan Melodyne (eg. reset or new version) and when I insert it as a region FX.  I think it's something to do with the copy protection.

Interestingly, it was exactly the same delay on my old Q6600 system as my new Ryzen 2600, so it's *not* a CPU bound problem.

15 hours ago, solarlux said:

Where i

Where i can search for CAL scripting language?

Good morning.  I started to gather the CAL documentation I have, as well as a bunch of scripts, and an editor app, last night - but fell asleep.  I will continue getting that stuff organized better, so it can be shared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert Bone said:

Good morning.  I started to gather the CAL documentation I have, as well as a bunch of scripts, and an editor app, last night - but fell asleep.  I will continue getting that stuff organized better, so it can be shared.

Than you very much about effort

21 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

You can use most of their VST's in any DAW just not their synth. You have to install an add-on called Presonus Hub to do it.

That said, there are plenty of things that came with Sonar that were locked to Sonar. Not everything was usable outside of it. CbB just doesn't include those any more.

And like you said, just use something else and stop complaining. Go use a different screwdriver.

Presonus sells VSTs of other  producers, but their own intruments are presence core instruments and that's it. And yes, I know Sonar isn't open software and cubase isn't.  But they have / had own instruments that are VSTs. I didn't know about Presonus Hub, thanks for that.

I don't complain, I just explained why I use other srewdrivers than S1

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, solarlux said:

Than you very much about effort

No trouble at all.  All I did was to clean up things a bit.  (still room for improvement).

I uploaded what I have for CAL to Dropbox, in a compressed folder less than 6 MB in size, that contains CAL documentation and examples. an editor, and a bunch of CAL scripts.

The download link is: CAL Documentation, scripts. and editor

• Like 1

ok thanks

3 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

No trouble at all.  All I did was to clean up things a bit.  (still room for improvement).

I uploaded what I have for CAL to Dropbox, in a compressed folder less than 6 MB in size, that contains CAL documentation and examples. an editor, and a bunch of CAL scripts.

thanks

• Like 3

Well, I'd say:

• The re-installation issue is not a bug.
  • The "problematic time stretching" isn't a bug.

You expect a DAW to figure out the tempo from that vocal track?? (seriously?) - and you've got "Follow proj. tempo" ticked with the incorrect tempo assumptions and then you wonder why it's making a hash of it?

A feature not having human intelligence, and/or not working the way you want it to work, is not a "bug".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkerl said:

Presonus sells VSTs of other  producers, but their own intruments are presence core instruments and that's it. And yes, I know Sonar isn't open software and cubase isn't.  But they have / had own instruments that are VSTs. I didn't know about Presonus Hub, thanks for that.

I don't complain, I just explained why I use other srewdrivers than S1

Pro Channel did the same thing though. And they were stripped down versions of full blown VST's. I do agree with you that it's not a good idea to do that. I was very disappointed when I first started using S1Pro and found out the VST were locked to it. On the other hand, they were pretty crappy until version 5 just came out. They really updated all of their VST's. My biggest criticism of them is they are excellent at telling you about the things they want you to know and even better at avoiding certain things they don't want you to know.

For example, in a subforum here I was talking about how it took me 4 days to set up routing external hardware on my Presonus interface. What it boiled down to is you have to disable their virtual mixer and only use the inputs that have gain control knobs with the built in mic pre's. That's not in any manual anywhere or in any of their setup video's that I could find. What that means is, all those extra inputs I paid for are rendered useless in my setup because I wanted to set up all of my external mastering and processing hardware so it's always on and ready to go. You can easily route external hardware through S1 via a special VST they include with it that compensates for latency. Nobody that responded to me on their forum knew that either. In that regard they are very bad. They make great equipment and software but you are kind of on your own setting it up and figuring it out. And their forum is all but dead. CbB has the most helpful user group I've ever seen. Always has.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.
  • Like 3

@Craig Reeves @jon sasor [cakewalk] and several others have already replied to your original post and suggested resolutions.
We also received your recent ticket 488179 about quick grouping and will consider it for a future update. Thanks for that.

Many if your issues are relatively minor workflow related teething pains rather than major defects. As such could you please retitle your post to something more appropriate like "Need assistance with AudioSnap" or something more appropriate, since as it stands it looks a bit like clickbait? 
Thanks in advance.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

This seems less like someone who just wants to rant than someone who is frustrated and really wants to see improvement.

Ranters typically don't take the time to include video of their issues with detailed explanations.

It's a foregone conclusion that CW works well for most people, but what if you had so many challenges using it that it stopped your creative workflow? What would you do?

Sure, some comments were overly general, but I read that as frustration.

That's my .02c

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Craig Reeves @jon sasor [cakewalk] and several others have already replied to your original post and suggested resolutions.
We also received your recent ticket 488179 about quick grouping and will consider it for a future update. Thanks for that.

Many if your issues are relatively minor workflow related teething pains rather than major defects. As such could you please retitle your post to something more appropriate like "Need assistance with AudioSnap" or something more appropriate, since as it stands it looks a bit like clickbait? 
Thanks in advance.

Will do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Isn't CAL just a variant of Lisp?

Almost 5 sites reading to just get two or three substantive responses, oh well ;) 

Regarding legato CAL script not working anymore I didn't check yet but I'd say it would be sad if it got broken. When I was using it, I remember that I had to do some reasonable preparation on the clips itself first in order to make it work properly, like cutting or replacing the first note at some specific time. Overall I think the best thing we can do about it is asking developers to put a new "LEGATO" command in the Process menu - as many times as we can! That's one of biggest missing core features in Cakewalk's MIDI department.

The 'sndfile.dll' bug is a Waves bug and have had accidentaly occured at this time, and as I see it had been already explained.

Glad to see Noel already logged the quick group bug, that's great news. 👍

Regarding time stretching problems, I don't try to say that Audiosnap is entirely bug free but I kind of agree with Jonathan Sasor saying that in your case it's more of an user error rather than a bug. Besides you need to remember that Audiosnap will in almost 100% situations work with regard to transient markers that you've enabled, so that shouldn't be overlooked as well. And a question, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a Groove Clip rendered with Elastique Pro (or Radius, if you prefer - I prefer Radius Mix over Elastique Pro 6 days in a week) when we bounce to clips/tracks? Maybe that's just the one step you're missing to get the quality - bounce your stretched clips once you've done.

Lastly the cut/paste bug. Indeed there is a tiny bug in the way Cakewalk is handling selection when you cut. Just watched your video again - observe the selection on the Time Ruler changing the moment you hit Cut - there is your bag :) so the workaround would be always to select clips with only lasso (right mouse click+drag over clips) and this way have no empty area before clips discarded from selection after you hit Cut.

And I think, but I could be wrong, that perhaps the right person to ask for dealing with this last bug would be @msmcleod...?😅 IIRC he did correct similar bug a year or two ago that I reported (Cakewalk didn't remember selection after Ctrl+Z, it was), so there's a hope. BTW as we're on it, I also don't like how Cakewalk looses tracks selected when we try to change time selection manually in the Time Ruler i.e. I have a few clips selected across a few tracks, when I drag any of the selection markers with the mouse, Cakewalk will change to only one track selected, only the focused one, discarding all the other tracks. But maybe that's for a purpose, idk.

Edited by chris.r

On 2/16/2021 at 9:26 AM, mkerl said:

And yes, I know Sonar isn't open software and cubase isn't.  But they have / had own instruments that are VSTs. I didn't know about Presonus Hub, thanks for that.

Just for the sake of accuracy...

The Retrologue, Padshop, and Halion SE plug-ins that come with Cubase Pro do load into other hosts. [Edit] And Spectralayers loads to in ARA-compatible hosts.

PreSonus Hub works with some of their plug-ins, not all of them.

(BTW I'm very glad that some of the Sonar plug-ins load into other hosts. As just one example, the Vocal Strip remains a fantastic vocal processor.)

Edited by Craig Anderton
Add Spectralayers info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Regarding legato.cal. It's working (or not working in this case) as it always has; it only works as expected with monophonic melody lines. As-written , it is not capable of handling chords. All it does is go through the event list, sequentially, and set the end of each note to match the beginning of the next (with or without a specified gap). In the case of chords where the start of the 'next' note in the 'sequence' is the same as (or close to) the current one, you naturally end up with a note that has little or no duration. It might seem like a simple thing , but it would take a lot of additional logic to recognize and handle chords properly, and this is challenging in CAL because of the way it processes MIDI events in strict order of start times.

EDIT: I realize I'm way late to the party, and some of this may have been covered already, but while I'm at it...

Regarding copy vs. cut behavior, I think it's debatable whether this is a 'bug', per se, but consistency in behavior when including space in the selection would certainly be helpful.

Regarding Audiosnap, it certainly has its share of issues, but in this specific case the problem is self-inflicted by having the Follow Option set to 'Measures' instead of 'Autostretch'. The 'Measures' option make Audiosnap immediately try to 'fit' the clip to the project at measures based on the clip tempo map. If you just want the whole clip to stretch proportionally as changes are made to the tempo, you need to choose the 'Autostretch' option before enabling Follow Project.

I understand the OP's wish to have Cakewalk be as solid as possible, but 'bugs' are often addressable by changing one's workflow slightly or just having a better understanding of how things actually work vs. how one might expect or prefer them to work. As such, it's not usually helpful to immediately ascribe 'buginess' to a something that doesn't work as expected before running it by the forum as a simple question: Is this expected, or am I doing it wrong, or is there  a better way or a setting I can change to make it work the way I want?

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

I understand the OP's wish to have Cakewalk be as solid as possible, but 'bugs' are often addressable by changing one's workflow slightly or just having a better understanding of how things actually work vs. how one might expect or prefer them to work. As such, it's not usually helpful to immediately ascribe 'buginess' to a something that doesn't work as expected before running it by the forum as a simple question: Is this expected, or am I doing it wrong, or is there  a better way or a setting I can change to make it work the way I want?

Bears repeating.

Computers do what you tell them to, not what you want them to.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1