SOUNDBRIDGE .. Totally free DAW .. anyone use it?

aidan o driscoll

On top of that, you get a nag screen ***UNLESS*** you make a donation. $5 is enough but not if you want to have it installed on more than 1 machine. $50 gets two machine installs and every $50 after that get another machine install.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Bapu said:

On top of that, you get a nag screen ***UNLESS*** you make a donation. $5 is enough but not if you want to have it installed on more than 1 machine. $50 gets two machine installs and every $50 after that get another machine install.

Now that’s gonna be costly for Serial Machine Installers like us!

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

soundbridge2.jpg

This is the Donate screen that pops up when you open  that software. Click REMIND ME LATER and it goes away, nothing major TBH .. esp as this software is free.

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

This is the Donate screen that pops up when you open  that software. Click REMIND ME LATER and it goes away, nothing major TBH .. esp as this software is free.

But it says right in it's description that it's an "annoying dialog". 

I had to giggle when I read, "democratize access to music production" and "100% free . . . but we need money to make it free.".

Looks like a nice clean DAW. That's my #1 complaint with most DAW's. Too much going on and I get cornfused.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

But it says right in it's description that it's an "annoying dialog". 

I had to giggle when I read, "democratize access to music production" and "100% free . . . but we need money to make it free.".

Looks like a nice clean DAW. That's my #1 complaint with most DAW's. Too much going on and I get cornfused.

Yeah but TBH .. as freebies go, a pop up is par for the course, in this case one second to click REMIND ME LATER and thats the end of it. Not the worst of things

OK I get your point about ANNOYING and democratize, but I think yes it would be annoying if this pops up every minute and I think the democratize thing is to do with the fact it is free at the end of the day. People here even crib about the Bandlab Assistant .. for something free, I wouldnt complain TBH, because these things are FREE after all, a little "annoying" thing is a small price ..

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

OK I get your point about ANNOYING and democratize, but I think yes it would be annoying if this pops up every minute and I think the democratize thing is to do with the fact it is free at the end of the day. People here even crib about the Bandlab Assistant .. for something free, I wouldnt complain TBH, because these things are FREE after all, a little "annoying" thing is a small price ..

If you have to ask money before the product is used each time, either your product is crap or the money is more important than the product itself.

• Like 1

Going by the images, the UI looks quite nice if I ignore the control bar being at the bottom, which just doesn't work for me although it is better than in S1. What I don't really see is anything that I can't already do. The nag screen is laughable.....we need money to make it free LOL.

21 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

as freebies go, a pop up is par for the course

Mm, not in my experience. Most of the software I use is freeware, and very few have beg screens.

Especially with creative software, where I fire it up when I am inspired, having to click through a beg screen....just ain't gonna happen.

The way Meldaproduction handles it, where with the Free Bundle there is a small banner at the bottom of the UI (and non-essential "pro" features if you choose to pay), is what I prefer. And in the case of that company, I used the free versions for years before eventually purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of licenses from them.

The way REAPER does it, as trialware that starts nagging after the (generous) trial period is up, is good too. Let it be beg-free for a month before the pitch starts to let people decide whether they like it before being confronted with the guilt screen.

I don't mind being asked for a donation, but not by having to click through a guilt trip. And if paying makes the nag go away or alters the program, it's not a "donation," it's a commercial license.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The way REAPER does it, as trialware that starts nagging after the (generous) trial period is up, is good too.

I don't know which version of REAPER you're using that has that feature. The nag screen is always there the first time you run it and it also lists how long you used the program and how many times you ran it.

4 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I don't know which version of REAPER you're using that has that feature. The nag screen is always there the first time you run it and it also lists how long you used the program and how many times you ran it.

All Reaper version works like @Starship Krupa said. You can use it for 60 days without any nag, but after the 60 days you must buy a license, that is why the nag screen is showed after the 60 days period.

By the way, Reaper is not free. You should buy a license (which is quite affordable) if you plan to keep using it after the 60 days trial period.

Edited by Patricio Campos

34 minutes ago, Patricio Campos said:

All Reaper version works like @Starship Krupa said. You can use it for 60 days without any nag, but after the 60 days you must buy a license, that is why the nag screen is showed after the 60 days period.

Mine never work like that. They always have the nag screen from the beginning. That's across installs in different operating systems, different machines and so on.

If reaper somehow knows something, I'm a bit concerned.