Waveform Free 2021​ Is Here!

cclarry

19 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

AVLinux is a custom Debian build with everything installed and already set up correctly. Realtime kernel tweaked for multimedia work and so on.

I don't see Windows offering any kernels specifically made for real time operation or something that comes even close to the flexibility and features JACK has.

REAPER, Waveform and Bitwig all have native Linux versions with VST3 support. Developers like u-he and Auburn Sounds also have native Linux versions of their plugins. Many audio interfaces, thanks to iOS devices and mobile are now class compliant and you don't even have to install drivers for them. You plug them in and the kernel already has drivers for them.

Do you have all the plugins you get in Windows and MacOS? No. In fact, Linux has the opposite problem. Not only you have plugins, you actually have too many plugins. A standard Ardour installation with the regular set of plugins you install from packages can have anything between 300 and 2000 plugins in total.

Hi, I’m running AV Linux (newbie) and it’s working well so far. How do you install plugins from packages? Are those the same as repositories? Aren’t all of the plugins installed by default in AV Linux? I’ve noticed that not every plugin or program that’s included in KX Stutio is installed, for example. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Hi, I’m running AV Linux (newbie) and it’s working well so far. How do you install plugins from packages? Are those the same as repositories? Aren’t all of the plugins installed by default in AV Linux? I’ve noticed that not every plugin or program that’s included in KX Stutio is installed, for example. Cheers!

I don't believe this is the right avenue to ask that sort of question. You'll have better luck at a linux specific forum or Discord server.

8 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Is the answer 'no' because of Linux itself or because Line 6 doesn't support Linux? It's because of the latter. If you could, theoretically you could run at 8 samples in 96k. RME cards can do that in Linux and are fully supported.

In the end, it doesn't matter "why"... the reality is the same.

It can't be done.

All those top-notch virtual instruments/effects are simply not available.

One could fantasize about an OS far more dedicated/optimized for DAW purposes.

BeOS was one such promising OS.  No profit.  No development.  No future.

The DAW using market is extremely small.

The Linux DAW using community is a tiny percentage of that.

It's not economically feasible for companies like Native Instruments, UA, Line-6, etc to spend massive development hours on such a small niche.

44 minutes ago, Maestro said:

No.  It's really not.

Bloatware is generally defined as unwanted software.

Since Win10 was released, I've yet to have a single client who's wanted Cortana enabled/running.

Ironically, a friend of mine worked on Cortana.  Tim Noonan is a great guy, great musician, and super sharp.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
More details

1 hour ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Hi, I’m running AV Linux (newbie) and it’s working well so far. How do you install plugins from packages?

Noramlly, since it's a Debian based distribution, running "sudo apt install package_name" is the main approach, if the required program or utility exists in the repository. Depending on the package, you may need to use other installation methods, described somewhere in READMEs and/or HOWTOs.

But AVLinux used to have a utility to install software provided and supported by distro developers. Not sure if it's still there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, abacab said:

Ubuntu!

i toyed with ubuntu a few years back, for about a year, but there was just too much regular stuff (games 🙄, VSTs) i couldn't do so came back to windows... it would certainly be fine for just officey stuff but once you start getting specific it's just not happening...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

i toyed with ubuntu a few years back, for about a year, but there was just too much regular stuff (games 🙄, VSTs) i couldn't do so came back to windows... it would certainly be fine for just officey stuff but once you start getting specific it's just not happening...

I had exactly the same experience as you. I tried the 'imitation' software that always 'nearly' did what you wanted, but was buggy as hell. The word processing software that 'almost' did as much as an old version of Word. I even tried the free DAW... Then I went back to Microsoft.

Lynx is great for coders who find great pleasure in coding for the sake of coding. For a musician, it's just a waste of valuable studio time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 53mph said:

No, this Lynx LYNX

Hmm...

I just googled 'lynx for coding'. Did you mean this? I still fail to see how lynx sprays, lynx online coding platform and studio time are related to what is being discussed.

I was genuinely interested when you mentioned Lynx in this thread. Now it seems it's a waste of time, just as you said.

23 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Hmm...

I just googled 'lynx for coding'. Did you mean this? I still fail to see how lynx sprays, lynx online coding platform and studio time are related to what is being discussed.

I was genuinely interested when you mentioned Lynx in this thread. Now it seems it's a waste of time, just as you said.

I meant Linux.....but I'm sure you knew that. ;)