Melodyne and Cakewalk

5 minutes ago, marled said:

What would be the advantage of this new nasty version? 😁

It's significantly faster at detection. Not sure if they've improved the accuracy of the detection or not, but it's still just as good.

As long as you've created a Region FX, and selected an algorithm you won't get the crash.

The template method I described earlier was a bit hit & miss. The common factor for failure seemed to be whether the Melodyne GUI had been active or not. If it was visible, and was focused at some point  (i.e. you clicked on it), then it seemed to work. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, marled said:

What would be the advantage of this new nasty version? 😁

Not much that I am missing for sure. But at some point they will release another update, and I am wondering if they will ever fix this. They have known about it for a while. I really don't hold out much hope for a fix.

For a detail of new stuff for 4.2: https://services.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LicenseApp.woa/wa/Melodyne4Service/downloadUpdate?token=72d7f3d058214e64ad07e21f2e777025&trk=c50f1f12594148598ab106a0a593d9d0

Edited by Grem
Added info
  • Thanks 1

I'm not convinced Celemony will ever fix this.

Celemony developed ARA 2, whilst leaving backwards compatibility with ARA 1. 

I suspect something in the 4.2 update has broken backwards compatibility in certain scenarios. However, Celemony won't want to continue to support ARA 1 compatibility, when they'd rather DAW developers use ARA 2.

So I reckon it's probably going to be up to Cakewalk to support ARA 2, which is probably on their road map anyhow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

so what's the last version of melodyne that works without issue in sonar? that should be in a FAQ somewhere

v4.1.1.011 works perfectly

for any later version,  (e.g. 4.2.x) you need to create a region fx before doing any operations.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

for any later version,  (e.g. 4.2.x) you need to create a region fx before doing any operations.

Hey Mark - does that work every time, or is it hit-or-miss? I want to upgrade Melodyne for use with ARA2-friendly programs, but still want to be able to use CbB with minimal issues.

2 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Hey Mark - does that work every time, or is it hit-or-miss? I want to upgrade Melodyne for use with ARA2-friendly programs, but still want to be able to use CbB with minimal issues.

It works every time for me.

Luckily I'm not in the habit of routinely dragging Audio tracks on to MIDI tracks. This will crash every time on 4.2.x if you've not created a region FX first. 

• Like 1

Back in 2015 I was talking quite a bit to Tech support at both Celemony and Cakewalk.  Celemony acknowledged the problem and said they were working with Cakewalk to fix the ARA integration issues.  Frankly, I don't think they ever fixed it entirely.  At least I have never got Melodyne and Sonar (Cakewalk) to work together smoothly.  I have also spent many hours with tech support at Focusrite thinking my Scarlett 18i8 was the issue.  We tried all sorts of utilities testing all aspects of the audio interface and everything tested out ok.  My computer is a new Dell XPS 8930 with 32 G ram and runs flawlessly, except when running Cakewalk by Bandlab.   I was really hopeful when the last Melodyne update came out a few months ago.  While it did fix some freezing issues and did work better with CBL, all of the issues are not fixed, for me at least.  I still use Melodyne mostly in the standalone mode to avoid the issues.  It is SO frustrating to spend more time with tech support than actually making music. 

I have Melodyne Studio 4.2.1.003 64 bit  and Cakewalk by Bandlab  (CBL) 2019.03 build 20, 64 bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

4.2 is working for me today, i.e. it remembers my default algorithm, melodic. 

I don't know if it's a temporary thing, or something to do with a W10 update or whether the bakers fixed something in the last CW release, but usually the behaviour on my set up was that Melodyne would use the default algorithm when first invoked in a new CW session but when I used it  subsequently  in that session I had to select the algorithm manually.  Today all seems to be working as it should.  I'm not getting excited yet, let's see what tomorrow brings first!

1 hour ago, Skyline_UK said:

I don't know if it's a temporary thing, or something to do with a W10 update or whether the bakers fixed something in the last CW release, but usually the behaviour on my set up was that Melodyne would use the default algorithm when first invoked in a new CW session but when I used it  subsequently  in that session I had to select the algorithm manually.  Today all seems to be working as it should.  I'm not getting excited yet, let's see what tomorrow brings first!

Just out of interest, are you using Melodyne Essential, or another version (e.g. Editor or Studio) ?

On 4/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Skyline_UK said:

Strange - it's working fine for me too 😊

I guess it must be a Windows update - I've done nothing else to have suddenly caused it to work.

• Like 1

I've been working closely with Celemony to get to the bottom of some of the instability with detection not being triggered in CbB.
We believe its fixed - Using a test build from them I can't repro the issue where it would hang on MIDI detection or not detect blobs after creating a region effect.
I can't speak for release schedules but I believe good news is on the horizon.

As to why it could appear to be fixed without any changes from us, this could be because race conditions behave in unpredictable ways. A subtle change in the timing of operations can mask the issue. This is likely why this issue has lingered on so long because it was hard to repro for some people.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, yesterday I was using Melodyne again and the problem has re-appeared... although in a slightly different way.

Now it doesn't crash when dragging audio to MIDI, but any subsequent creation of RegionFX will not have any algorithm selected. Re-selecting the algorithm fixes it for that edit, but it forgets it again for the next edit within the same session.

This I can live with as at least it doesn't crash.

Hopefully @Noel Borthwick has got to the bottom of it.

🤬 Sadly, on my sessions with CW today the old problem reappeared, i.e. Melodyne not remembering the default algorithm so I have to select Melodic every time I open it to work on a clip.  Very bizarre how it ramdomly 'fixes' itself and then unfixes itself.  👻