Melodyne and Cakewalk

Hi,

I have an issue with the last release of Sonar where Melodyne clip manipulation will freeze or crash the audio engine (I have an I7 desktop cpu in my laptop with 16GB RAM so plenty of power I think). I have a Clarett 4Pre USB I/F.

Does Cakewalk by Bandlab solve this issue and what will I lose by using the free version (are any updates included?)

Thanks!

Edited by Murray Webster

You can try the new version of Cakewalk By BandLab and install it along with Sonar. They won't bother each other. I use Melodyne on a regular basis and with version 4.01 I have no issue. But be aware that version 4.02 of Melodyne has some issues with CbB. Not sure if your issue is the same though.

Thanks guys!

If I try Cakewalk, do I need to install the add-on Studio Instruments, Drum Replacer and Melodyne? Not sure how much space that will all take up?

I still have the Melodyne 4.1 installer - any news from Celemony on fixing any known issues?

Cheers

Murray

Edited by Murray Webster

On 3/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, Grem said:

You can try the new version of Cakewalk By BandLab and install it along with Sonar. They won't bother each other.

except for the "shared utilities"... i still don't understand why they didn't use the switch to bandlab as an opportunity to genuinely make it a separate install (although i bet @Noel Borthwick knows)

• Like 1

CbB started out as an unreleased version of Platinum. It uses essentially the same project format as Platinum.

When opening CbB projects in SONAR there will be a warning about the project being created with a newer DAW and some features may be unavailable as a result.

Which version of SONAR are you planning to use?

8 minutes ago, scook said:

CbB started out as an unreleased version of Platinum. It uses essentially the same project format as Platinum.

When opening CbB projects in SONAR there will be a warning about the project being created with a newer DAW and some features may be unavailable as a result.

Which version of SONAR are you planning to use?

23.10.0 Build 14 (2017.10)

I opened Cakewalk and one missing synth was Pentagon, which they presumably don't have a license for - any others?

Thanks!

CbB includes these plug-ins but can use any 64bit plug-ins bundled with SONAR. Can't tell from

33 minutes ago, Murray Webster said:

23.10.0 Build 14 (2017.10) 

if you have Platinum, Professional or Artist. If Platinum or Professional, the only thing that could be missing when opening a CbB project in SONAR may be zplane Elastique. IIRC, this is mentioned in the warning message when opening the project. Any CbB project containing patch points or aux tracks will not open in Artist.

For Pentagon issue see this thread

I requested the 4.1 installer this morning from Celemony and they sent it to me (and asked me to not distribute it)...

here was Ulf's comment about 4.2:

"thanks for your mail. There are indeed a few systems that have an issue with Cakewalk by Bandlab and Melodyne. We’re still investigating this.

However, the workaround is simply:

If you come across undetected blobs, simply select all blobs and manually chose the algorithm desired. This should do it for the rest of your session."

Rusty

Edited by newdreamstudio
misspelling

1 hour ago, newdreamstudio said:

I requested the 4.1 installer this morning from Celemony and they sent it to me (and asked me to not distribute it)...

here was Ulf's comment about 4.2:

"thanks for your mail. There are indeed a few systems that have an issue with Cakewalk by Bandlab and Melodyne. We’re still investigating this.

However, the workaround is simply:

If you come across undetected blobs, simply select all blobs and manually chose the algorithm desired. This should do it for the rest of your session."

Rusty

Never got the big deal with choosing the correct algorithm. It takes a few extra seconds. That being said, I love how Melodyne works in Reaper. Just awesome!

1 minute ago, S.L.I.P. said:

Never got the big deal with choosing the correct algorithm. It takes a few extra seconds.

It may be a big deal if one forgets to perform the requisite workaround and the project hangs with unsaved changes.

2 hours ago, scook said:

It may be a big deal if one forgets to perform the requisite workaround and the project hangs with unsaved changes.

I guess I'm lucky, because I've never had that happen. When Melodyne opens I can immediately see if it is showing the correct algorithm, and if not, I chose the correct one.  Now if you are referring to Audio to Midi conversion in Melodyne, that I certainly agree with you about the requisite workaround. On another note, I have the utmost respect for you, and I am very appreciative for all of your knowledge, and hard work. 

36 minutes ago, S.L.I.P. said:

if you are referring to Audio to Midi conversion in Melodyne, that I certainly agree with you about the requisite workaround.

This and tempo map creation will kill a CbB project dead without first setting the algorithm.

I think I may have found a new workaround...

• Create a new project using your usual template (e.g. Basic)
  • Create a new audio track, and record a very short silent audio clip
  • Create a Melodyne FX Region using this clip
  • Select the Algorithm within Melodyne
  • Hide the track from both within the Track view & the Console view
  • Close Melodyne within the MultiDock
  • Save your project as a template (e.g. Basic_Melodyne.cwt) 

Now when you create a new project using this template, Melodyne is loaded & initialised using the algorithm you previously selected.

The hidden track can be a bit annoying if you use an external controller however, so in this case just miss out the hiding the track part when creating your template, and delete the melodyne track as soon as you've created your new project.

[EDIT] - Scratch that... it doesn't work every time :(

Edited by msmcleod