Hardware Forum??

John Vere

I don't often wander around the forum site but the main pages are real boring now. Same stupid questions over and over. It's great to help people who are truly stuck, but most of these people seem to think for themselves. 99% of the questions are easily Googled.  

One thing I just noticed as I answered a post here about a dead laptop, is we no longer have a Hardware Forum? That was one of my favorites on the old site. 

Any of you old Hosts, I know that you are all hiding down here-- have any pull around here and can see if we could bring back the Hardware sub forum? 

• Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don't often wander around the forum site but the main pages are real boring now. Same stupid questions over and over. It's great to help people who are truly stuck, but most of these people seem to think for themselves. 99% of the questions are easily Googled.  

One thing I just noticed as I answered a post here about a dead laptop, is we no longer have a Hardware Forum? That was one of my favorites on the old site. 

Any of you old Hosts, I know that you are all hiding down here-- have any pull around here and can see if we could bring back the Hardware sub forum? 

We asked quite a few times about having it added and so far no luck :(

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

I've found most forums are dead now. I think they're viewed as old school in this attention span-less world we live in now. It's mostly old timers here now and we're basically free tech support. I think that's the only reason the forum is here.

TDPRI seems like it's still a pretty good forum but I stopped going there a long time ago because of the mods. There was one in particular who would attack everyone and anyone for absolutely no reason. He left me alone for a long time then suddenly started following me around in threads so I just left. Never engaged him or anyone. I just walked. After my tenure at the old cake forum I made a conscious decision to just walk away from everything that even remotely bothers me so I just left. Never said a word to any of the guys I had become friends with or anyone. I felt bad about it afterwards. I kept getting emails asking if I was alright but I never responded. I've learned that even if you're right about something, if someone disagrees with you, you always come out looking bad or like a troublemaker if you take a stand and it's just not worth it. For example, there's a thread here right now that accidentally got derailed into a BiaB discussion that I desperately want to respond to but I just have to walk away. It's just not worth it.

They did something fun in one of the sub forums at TDPRI. Someone would post a backing track and all the guitar pickers would take a crack at doing their own lead parts to it and post and everyone would compare. I did so many that I got really good at making up riffs on the fly. I really miss that. It was always the same core group of guys and stragglers would come along once in a while. It was really cool to hear how different everyone approached the songs. I looked the other day and the same guys are still doing it and it's been 5 or 6 years since I left and they were doing it long before I got there. It would be fun to do something like that here.

Sorry for the long post. I'm bored out of my mind. Think I'll go walk on the pond out back and see how thick the ice is. 🥶☠️👻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

owe 99% of my proficiency at Cake to reading the old form. Not so much of that happens here  anymore 

A consequence of it being free I think. New users have nothing invested in it, so if they haven't got it all figured out it in 5 minutes it's easy to just move on to the next free DAW rather than trying to learn how to work with this one. Long term users have it pretty much figured out  at least in the sense of how they like use it so don't really need much help apart from when they encounter bugs or incompatibilities with 3rd party products. Also, I would guess that a large number of the newer users come via the bandlab app where they are used to just gluing loops together for instant results and then find themselves facing a very steep learning curve so either return to the easier option or move onto something more suited to loop orientated stuff.

It's great that BL took over the software and are keeping it alive and moving it forward in some fashion but also surprising to me that this far in they haven't made more of it and worked on better integration with controllers like every other big boy DAW seems to have. I guess that's also a consequence of it being free - probably costs too much for a product with zero income.  Early BL talk was that the synths, PC modules and such would be reworked/developed and reintroduced as paid add-ons to maybe generate an income stream once they had more users on board but none of that has materialised or is even talked about any more, so I guess that's not happening. Maybe they haven't got the amount of new users they'd hoped for and it isn't worth it? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, paulo said:

Maybe they haven't got the amount of new users they'd hoped for and it isn't worth it? 

This I exactly my thoughts too. Judging by forum activity Cakewalk has not truly expanded its user base. They must have lost a ton of serious users  during the transition who never came back once they got going on other DAWs Once burned  

I was one of the few who refused to leave figuring worst case scenario was X3 for the rest of my days. I don’t think I could ever go back now. 
I sure hope if they do pull the plug that they unlock it and leave the door open

I think if tomorrow they announced that Cakewalk now requires a paid license most of us would gladly anti-up the cash. It’s still weird that they kept it free and are paying staff to further development it.