is roland trying to catch up customer from their past sonar ?

natalini

i am trying out Zenbeat from roland. it is first time i can use a daw, (setting, recording and editing ) in a desktop touchscreen without touching the mouse a single time . unfortunalely not complete as Cakewalk, here is the minimum. cakewalk with zenbeat touchable functionalities will be the daw of 21 century. 

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

download (1).jpg

Edited by natalini

35 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Them and soon Behringer :D 

Really I think Roland is just going after a different market.

Yes this is just like Bandlab app as compared to Cakewalk.. Totally different market. In my family there are a few young teenagers just discovering music creation using these "APPS" one could argue that they are just creating more of the same stuff that seems to have flooded the world of music. They use pre created loops and then for the most part RAPP over this into their cell phones and then lord help us,  they post it to you tube. 

A friend just stopped by yesterday ( one of the few who is allowed) and was all excited because her grandson and friend had posted one of these you tubes. It was terrible in every way a home made video could be terrible. But to her the grandson might as well have been a super star.  The artistic equivalent of Googling a picture, printing it, and telling everyone this is your picture you "made".  Anyhow as long as they stay away from my DAW all is good.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Does Band in a Box generate real music?

If you like Country, Bluesy rock, various jazz styles, or elevator music, then yes. 

But being serious, the results are very impressive. For RealTracks it cleverly picks random parts of pre-recorded material. For MIDI it's even more clever, generating parts on the fly.

I think my comment about BIAB was mostly tongue-in-cheek... just riffing on the idea of constructing songs from prefab elements.

Is it OK to call the results "your" music?

Disclaimer: I have BIAB and like it. I consider it an educational tool and practice aid, but don't really expect it to write my next hit song. But I might get lucky! :)

Edited by abacab

21 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Only thing I can think when I look at Zenbeats is "Those touch elements sure occupy a lot of my screen space. How do I turn them off?"

Sure, if you don't use touchscreen.....although  zenbeat can be resize !

On 2/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, InstrEd said:

Them and soon Behringer :D 

Really I think Roland is just going after a different market.

maybe but it will depend on their policy, the  staff who built what was Stagelight  (roland should have keep this name) can make some surprised. but still i don't check how vst are handled. since i discovered an use cubasis on ipad, my main focus is to throw the  prehistoric rat from my desktop computer, my hand reject the mouse. that is why i came to cakewalk but it need a so big improvement for be touchable....or you can go for Ableton and Cubase with a third party software for be touchable but since there is new version of both, third party need to program update compatibilities thzt id  not the case till now.

Edited by natalini