a new unknown .dll

lapasoa

56 minutes ago, John Vere said:

You should only have 3 or 4 scan paths so just go to them and look and delete it

It is not the quantity but the quality of the paths that matter.

The paths should only contain VST2/3 dlls and the minimum amount of supporting files possible. Asking the scanner to evaluate random dlls is a bad idea.

I've always whitelisted the entire \program files\cakewalk tree, as well as \program files\common files\vst3, all of my virtual instruments and project folders. I also have general exclusions for all audio file types regardless of where they live. You'd think an AV program would be smart enough to skip all those wav files in my sample libraries, but not all do. 

Your computer may have other locations that need to be excluded but that you've never thought about or didn't even know existed. For example, I had to whitelist the Celemony folder under \users\davet\documents. I don't remember exactly why I did that, but it appears to be a repository of temporary Melodyne files.

I'm curious as to how an Avast file got dropped into your VST folder in the first place. That seems like a weird place for its installer to choose. I have seen DLLs in my VST tree that aren't scannable, e.g. some Adobe Audition effects, and Waves files that are dependencies but not themselves VSTs. All of those can be disabled in the scanner's own exclusion list.

I agree with you bitflipper. In fact the funniest and strangest thing is that I  owned Avast free antivirus for a long time and never appeared to interfere with Cakewalk VST scanning.

As I said at the beginning this issue appeared after a Windows update.