Hundreds of fake Shure, Sennheiser, Yamaha and Harman products seized in factory raid

pwal³

To be honest. I did pirate before in my jung days. And I think that allot of the business know that young/starting up people can’t afford the most expensive gear. But in the end. If not Yamaha did design the amp that the fake is copied, it would not even be a fake amp. So, this is really a dangerous trend for everyone in the business. If you get paid for making music or not. If the brands you relay on don’t get enough income to pay the bills, they will have to ether lay off many people, or even close the store/factory.

And what amp, microphone, soundcard or anything like, can we get then, if everything was free? Nothing. Just the design of a component costs a lot. For free we would never get any new innovative products!

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

but why pirate hardware these days when we have behringer?

Ahhh...  Someone beat me to it!

Everyone knows Behringer has R&D departments everywhere (Roland, Yamaha, Mackie, etc., etc., etc.!). 😜

I guess there's two types of counterfeit products:

1. Cheap imitations, where they look the same on the outside but the components inside are completely different; and

2.  The company actually manufactures the real goods on behalf of the original manufacturer, but decides to illegally sell re-badged or unofficial versions of the product without the original manufacturer's knowledge. What you're actually getting is the real product, but the original manufacturer doesn't get any money from the sale.

Both are bad of course as they both damage the original manufacturer. But the worst part is there's no way of telling the difference until you actually get it - and even then you'd need a real one to compare it to.

That's why I always buy branded music gear from a respected music retailer. 

• Like 1

R&D = ripoff and duplicate

I still long for my Ibanez Les Paul ripoff i had in college (class of 93).

One day I'm gonna have to pony up and buy the real thing.

When i got it, i was probably so green i didn't know who ripped off whom.

Edited by Gswitz

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

2.  The company actually manufactures the real goods on behalf of the original manufacturer, but decides to illegally sell re-badged or unofficial versions of the product without the original manufacturer's knowledge. What you're actually getting is the real product, but the original manufacturer doesn't get any money from the sale. 

This one is the bigger concern, and fairly prevalent with companies that give their IP to a third party for manufacture (that IP often makes its way into another company). Pretty much any company that manufactures in the Free Trade Zone in Pudong has exposed themselves to this because of the policies there, and enforcing IP laws is extremely difficult.

Flip-side to the coin are manufacturers who can legally sell outside the US, but due to trademark restrictions cannot sell their products inside the US. LP's are a bit too heavy for my taste, but if I were to get a LP-style, the Fernandes Burny RLC 85S (Floyd Rose/Sustainer) would be high on the list (roughly $1250, and the sustainer is about $300 if bought separately). They do not carry the Gibson logo, but are close enough in look to violate TM.

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

... and the sustainer is about $300 if bought separately

FYI - I found out the hard way that the Fernandes Sustainer is actually a licensed version of only one of the models created by Sustainiac.  Eventually, I'll get a different clip-on model they have so I don't have to modify any of my customs, plus I can use one on multiple guitars when I want that effect! 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. I can definitely relate to folks not wanting to chop and swap custom guitars, which definitely precludes a lot of extra gear out there. A sustainer pickup unto itself is more of a novelty to me, and seems it is simply a static version of an E-Bow (with high (harmonics) and low (sustain only) capability). When mounted in a static position (like the neck position in this usage), it does a couple of unwanted things 1) knocks the pickup being used to sustain (the neck) out of the audio circuit, and 2) will always sustain harmonics in a static way depending on the note played.

An E-Bow gives more dynamics (vicinity to the audio pickup will effect the sound greatly), but they are clunky to use (again a novelty for me) and I use mine so infrequently that I don't keep a battery in it.  The old-fashioned methods of sustain via amp proximity/feedback and harmonics from string touching/pinch harmonics, feedback, and/or wah pedals tends to suffice for 99+% of playing. Whenever I do use the E-Bow it is more for sustain purposes, and even if I do mess with other things and think "that is cool," I tend to forget about it by the next time I sit down to play.

Heh, I love my E-Bow too, but they definitely require learning the best technique (similar to correctly using a slide - something I also suck at - LOL!).  The sustainer was really cool because I didn't have to do anything except work my way around the fretboard.  In fact, it was the E-Bow that made me have a Sustainer put into one of my customs (and the above info that also had me remove it).