Little Dude needs a gaming PC

bluzdog

I'm fighting to keep mine away from that , be absolutly carefull , damages are real ... studies are just discovering the impacts (social , spychological , individual and for the socail engeenering behind (no politics , just facts) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zo said:

I'm fighting to keep mine away from that , be absolutly carefull , damages are real ... studies are just discovering the impacts (social , spychological , individual and for the socail engeenering behind (no politics , just facts) 

Nothing against video games by themselves (except the ones that are unashamedly pathological), but it is good to see a healthy balance with life outside cyberspace.

For example, there are a couple of  families around the block from me whose young kids are always outside playing in the yard and neighborhood street. Reminds me of how my generation grew up. Good to see some parents encouraging their kids to get outdoors. :)

• Like 3

Avoid the building, upgrading and windows updating madness, get him a Playstation or X-box.

Where is he going to play the games and with whom and what does he already have in terms of screens/computers/TV's. What are his friends using.

I run a tower for music and video that is not connected to the internet. When I'm using it, I can only do music/video, cannot be distracted by internet/business or games. Then I have a docked laptop for internet/business and when I use that I cannot be distracted by games, music or video. They share the same monitor and keyboard/mouse through a KVM switch. For games I have a Playstation that is connected to the TV. When I'm using that, I can't be distracted by internet, business or music/video.

If the computer is going to be used for other things aside from games like homework, then he probably won't get much homework done and having a monster computer running all the time to surf the internet or to use Microsoft word is a bit overkill. If the functions are separated out, you will know how much time he is spending on what. Also, as Abacab suggests, going outside once in a while can also be good.

I've found it pays to separate these things out to avoid distractions. Computers, internet, games and music/video can all be addictive like drugs, easy to get addicted and lost.

Consoles are easier to move around and set up as well. He might come into the family room and use the big TV and everyone can play together and then can just take it back to his room and plug it back into his monitor/TV.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

Just now, Brian Walton said:

I'd do research on the games he wants/needs to play.

$1K on a gaming system is pretty crazy.  

A console system is way less than that, and for a computer system you can run some nice games on a far cheaper system.  

He said Minecraft. Pretty basic requirements...

Another way it to force him to play with you lol but they can stand compagny of heroes here with me  .... RTS is to much for those savages lol 

I'm to nervous when i see myself fighting " guyz while he's having fun building a fukkkking ikea of defense chilling lol 

Mores seriously , yep it's all a question of balance , problem is addiction and how whenever they can have so time to spare , video game is the first reflex with TV ....  gonna start hiring him as an audio assistant ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

There's just no way to build a "healthy" gaming PC for under $1k.

• RTX-3070 is $750
  • RTX-3060ti is $500

Right now, it's hard to find any mid/high level GTX/RTX video card in-stock.

FWIW, I just got done building a high-end gaming prototype machine.

It's got the best of everything in it.

Cost as much as a nice PRS guitar.  🤪

I do far more gaming than guitar playing but I'd go with a PRS.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'd do research on the games he wants/needs to play.

$1K on a gaming system is pretty crazy.  

A console system is way less than that, and for a computer system you can run some nice games on a far cheaper system.  

Less instability issues on a console compared to a PC.

Edited by Paul Young
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

Avoid the building, upgrading and windows updating madness, get him a Playstation or X-box.

X-Boxes still need updates - every now and then when you turn it on you have the choice to either update, or stay offline. Never had a PlayStation, but I guess they're the same.

Came home just now to my daughter playing Fortnite on the desktop computer.  She needed to blow off some steam. She was at school for Science Olympics setting up. They are going to do some virtual events and they were practicing.  First event for her since the pandemic.  She said I don't care if it is 20 below zero I'm going.  I think she jinxed us with the weather as it is 0 degrees outside now!    I think you can have the computer but you as the parent have to make sure your kids have balance and they don't need the fanciest one on the block. 

Peace

• Like 2

I don’t have any kids yet so my suggestion is blow his college fund, get him the $300 laptop, enroll him in some free online programming classes so he can pay his own education,  and get yourself a new fully packed studio....this may not be the best advice but just exploring other side of coin to give you more options :)

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

M

I just checked looked up my local Microcenter and they only have 9 video cards in stock!

I picked up an Asus GTX 1650 OC, with 4GB GDDR6, at B&H for $160 last October. It's the successor to the NVIDIA GTX 1050 line. It's a budget card that should be fine for casual play at 1080p. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gtx-1650/

They are a 2-4 week wait at the moment...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1585942-REG/asus_ph_gtx1650_o4gd6_phoenix_geforce_gtx_1650.html

Edited by abacab

42 minutes ago, kevin H said:

I don’t have any kids yet so my suggestion is blow his college fund, get him the $300 laptop, enroll him in some free online programming classes so he can pay his own education,  and get yourself a new fully packed studio....this may not be the best advice but just exploring other side of coin to give you more options :)

Now you come up with that idea. Thanks for nothing. My kids are 18 and soon to be 17!  Remember your post when you have kids of your own 😆

• Haha 1