Little Dude needs a gaming PC

bluzdog

For a gaming machine, clock-speed is the single most important factor.

Intel is currently offering higher clock-speed than AMD.

Clock-speed (and extremely low latency) is Ryzen/Threadripper's (3xxx series) Achilles Heel.

The new 5950x (Vermeer) is a much better performer at ultra low latency... but it's extremely hard to find in-stock... and it's an $800 CPU.

Aside from CPU,  video card is extremely important.

Right at this moment, it's hard to find high-end GTX/RTX video cards actually in-stock.

If you find one, grab it immediately.  Our distributor received a shipment of 140 RTX-3070 video cards ($750 each)... and they were gone in two days.

As a point of reference, running Forza Horizon 4 (racing sim):

• 1080p at 60-fps - RTX-3070 running ~30%
  • 4k at 60-fps - RTX-3070 running ~50%

• Like 1

Maximum PC has some articles in it that I will try to remember to look up for you. They have low, medium,  and high priced gaming rigs you can build. I know you don't build, but that gives you a very good starting and ending point as references. 

For a good gaming pc you wanna go with at least a 1060 nVidia GPU. AMD GPU's are good too. I just don't know off hand what the equivalent model number would be.

And Jim's advise above is spot on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

Tell him to think on and just be grateful for all the things he already has. That when you were his age all you had to play with was a stick and and if you were really lucky you got an orange for xmas. That you were so poor that for your 13th birthday you only got a yo, because despite having three jobs your poor old pa couldn't afford a yo-yo.

That is the cheapest option by far.

LOL how many have been told this for generations?

Let's also look at gaming prices.  Instead of complete games the offer download content. One could almost pay $100 for a deluxe edition.  Game developers are into drive bloat.  A 1TB OS drive is almost needed for gaming.   Game developers are the worst out there.  I avoided a lot of games because you needed a modern video card.  Meanwhile all of my modern DAW software can still run on a AP2496.   Some of my favorite games were developed during the XP era.

You could also do what young generations never hear and that is tell them NO!  Also consider a console.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Totally agree...

A fast CPU and Video card will chew thru $1k

I would have to disagree here. I believe a PC offers a better experience in the long run. He will use that PC for more than just gaming. 

• Like 2

f.w.i.w.... I'm not looking for a high end gaming machine but he definitely needs something usable. He has an Xbox1 and lots of games. Right now he's talking about running minecraft on the PC. When I get back home I'll pick his brain a little more. Thanks for all of the useful info. You guys Rock!

Rocky

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I would have to disagree here. I believe a PC offers a better experience in the long run. He will use that PC for more than just gaming. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

There's just no way to build a "healthy" gaming PC for under $1k.

• RTX-3070 is $750
  • RTX-3060ti is $500

Right now, it's hard to find any mid/high level GTX/RTX video card in-stock.

FWIW, I just got done building a high-end gaming prototype machine.

It's got the best of everything in it.

Cost as much as a nice PRS guitar.  🤪

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Minecraft isn't demanding.  That'll run on anything.

Games requiring high FPS is where it gets expensive.

Yes. Especially if your trying to do it at any resolution above 1080. But a decent system can be had for around $600 that can run most (except the most demanding) games released in the past two - three years if you stick with 1080 resolution with a decent (GTX 1060) video card.

If he doesn't need the extra eye candy, you can get by cheaper.