Late buffers

Darcy

I wonder if someone can give me some help.  I'm on the edge here with a project . 

When I play it with a WDM driver I can set the latency high enough that it will play fine.

If I switch to ASIO and set the latency all the way to safe the project will stutter sometimes and when it does I see a late buffer show up in the meter section. 

The buffer size with the ASIO driver is 2048 with a stated effective latency at 48000/stereo of 42.7 msec, further down it states a total roundtrip of 99.7 msec.

With the WDM driver I can get as much as 250 msec latency and I can easily play the project with it set around 160 msec.

Is there any way to increase the latency while using the ASIO driver to take a little more strain off the CPU. 

The situation I'm in requires the ASIO driver as I'm using an Allen and Heath Qu16.

Thanks in advance 

Darcy Van Loo

does the Qu16 have its own ASIO driver or are you using ASIO4All? Drop outs have to do with your computer, including the driver, keeping up with the audio stream(s). It could be a bad ASIO driver or some other process on your machine. Try running letencymon with your project open to see if there is anything on your PC causing this.

I'm using the A&H ASIO driver.

I'm just wondering if there is another setting somewhere that would let me add a little more latency so i can play this project.

As it is I have to add a delay to the audio to let the video catch up and I wondered if I could instead make use of it. 

I think what you are experiencing is a badly written ASIO driver. Did you look this up on user forums like Gear Slutz? Some of the historically worst drivers have been the ones that come with certain brands of mixers. For good performance best to use a well know popular audio interface like Focusrite, Tascam, Steinberg, Motu etc. 

Most of us have buffers set at the most at  128 or 256 and RTL around 7 -11 ms. You really should not use WDM mode if your overdubbing if you want tracks in sync. 

• Like 1