Problem with k brown softsynths (plugins)

JP van Rumste

Hi All. 
I'm having a rather weird problem with several of the freeware k brown synth plugins. (Found at: https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com) It's a very nice collection of soft synths, including among others, korg, moog, yamaha and buchla type synths. And they're all free. 
I've installed quite a few of them and most of them work fine, be it in a 32 or 64 bit version. However, some of them I can't get for the life of me to work. When I try inserting them into a project (empty or otherwise, via insert instrument track or replace synth (on an existing track)) I always get the same answer from cakewalk: "Failed to insert soft synth. The synth may not be properly installed."
I tried redownloading them, reinstalling them, installing them in a different folder, but all to no avail. The strange thing is however that it is only the case with a number of soft synths from this developer. Some series (he has quite a lot of them) work flawlessly, others simply can't be gotten to work. There's the case of one soft synth where the actual synth doesn't work but the fx version does (as an audio effect).  Regretfully I'm not enough of a programmer   to figure out where the problem could be found.  Hence this post and the possibility that there's someone here who knows more about this kind of thing.  All the synths are provided as dll's.  
Anybody here care to figure this out? It think it is worth the time as these soft synths are remarkably good. 
I'm wonering if anyone else uses these plugins and what their experiences are. 
If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask. 
Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

I'm on Win 10 pro, laptop intel i7, latest version of cakewalk (bandlab version). 
Thnx in advance.
Enjoy

Possibly a permissions issue.

Some plug-ins (mostly freeware) try to write into the folder where the dll is installed.

This is a problem when the plug-ins are installed in "Program Files" the default for most plug-ins.

There are several solutions. Here are three:

• Install the plug-ins in a different area (some create folders directly off the root such as C:\VST and C:\VST32)
  • Modify the permissions of their install folders adding user write access
  • Run the DAW as administrator

Some plug-ins just need to write once to create their data files, some write every time they are used.

Hi Scook. 
Thnx for taking the time to reply. Allas, none of your suggestions works. And I always run cakewalk as administrator. I had to change that setting for reasons I can't really remember. 

I tried changing the security settings, created a folder C:\VST, I also tried changing the security settings of the actual dll, all to no avail. I keep getting the same message. Frankly, it's flabbergasting. (And disappointing, the guys plugins are quite good.)

I understand completely. And I wouldn't bother if I didn't think it worth it. by the way, they're all easy to install: go to the site: https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com 

At the top of the page you'll see a link where you can download all the plugins in zip packages. The site isn't all that reliable -I get 502 bad geateway messages- but a couple of retries should overcome that. I suggest you download either the 80-vox II (Yamaha CS 80 based) or the chorg Ps-20 (Korg MS20 based). (Neither of them work on my system and the 80-vox II has 32 and 64 bit versions. The Chorg is 32 bit only.) Click the relevant folder and then the download all button. Downloading is quite fast normally.  
Thnx for taking the time. I'm really curious as to your experience with these plugins. 

The 80-vox II  fails for sure.

The VST Inventory registry entries look OK.

Just because a plug-in runs in another DAW does not indict the DAW just like the thousands of plug-ins that run fine in the DAW exonerate it.

At this time, all I can say is the 32 and 64bit 80-vox II plug-ins fail to load and the normal remedies do not work.

If I wanted to use the plug-in, I would contact the plug-in developer and support@cakewalk.com and ask for assistance.

Well, I'm afraid that's it then. Just had a reply from the developer that -in short- he doesn't know. He admits that he's just an amateur and refers me to the flowstone forum. Not sure if I can be bothered. I'll have to think about it. 
I also have my doubts if the cakewalk people will be willing to help, in the end it's only free plugins that -probably- few people use. Again I'll have to think about it. 

Anyway, thnx for your willingness to help out. 
Enjoy.

• 1 year later...

I know I am a little late here but….. I am actually a big fan of Kevin Brown’s Plugins  At first I was a bit thrown off by the lack of presets, but after playing around a bit I really started to appreciate them more for it. It forced me to learn more about the building blocks and signal flow of each of the synths they were inspired by.  I actually get kind of lost in time playing around with them making presets!  I also find that I am using them more and more in my songs.  Yes, many are 32bit, but with jBridge most of them work great in Cakewalk for me, but I did have a few that didn’t.

The following is a list of my personal favorites.  Naturally I haven't tried them all.... yet!

MatrixSix1, Juan, Oh Juan, Voyette, Osciet, Cronus, VQ-800, Tyro, JP-680, PG-238, OBie 2V, SH3p,

Unfortunately, I received that same error message you have on the following. 

Polly, SH-75. Tonus 2813, Luge

They worked just fine in VSThost by Hermann Seib, where I made a few presets as I was learning the process… only to find them failing to install when I went to use them

I just released some music that features quite a few presets from these synths.

https://patcotillojr.com/the-sounds

Anyone interested in presets, just let me know.

Pat