SSL Essentials Bundle

cclarry

I took advantage of this sale without really understanding the v6 improvements.  Was curious after Zo’s post.

Here are some details:

SSL Native V6 is the result of our software engineering team re-building the Duende Native V5 plug-ins from scratch using a new coding framework (JUCE).

JUCE is now an industry framework used by many other leading plug-in manufacturers. This change of framework will future-proof our plug-ins so they can continue to be used and enjoyed for years to come. Along the way we've been refining the underlying algorithms and making a series of changes; the most obvious improvement being the enhanced GUIs optimised for HD and Retina screens. 

SSL Native V6 will install alongside V5, so you can use both versions in a DAW.

Other improvements include the addition of preset management to the Channelstrip and Bus Compressor plug-ins, which we hope you will enjoy. One thing to note is that the X-Verb will not be making it's way over to v6.

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022908072-Is-SSL-Duende-Native-the-same-as-SSL-Native-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zo said:

I ll keep those instead any combo you listed ... it sound more like the 9000 than the 4000

Not quite. PC emulates the 4000 G and E. T-Racks does both, with the White Channel emulating the 9000K and the British Channel giving you the 4000J or K (don't remember) with or without Max Martin's modifications to the lower frequencies.

I haven't used the others. I tried the SSL bundle at one point and the Vocal strip was very nice although not something I couldn't replicate using other plugins I have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Not quite. PC emulates the 4000 G and E. T-Racks does both, with the White Channel emulating the 9000K and the British Channel giving you the 4000J or K (don't remember) with or without Max Martin's modifications to the lower frequencies.

I haven't used the others. I tried the SSL bundle at one point and the Vocal strip was very nice although not something I couldn't replicate using other plugins I have.

Plugin alliance : SSL 4000 (bx console E and G , townhouse being a in house SSL 4000 G comp made for rack )

Tracks : SSL 4000  , not sure about the white ;)

Duende : Taking from the algos from the 200 (digital) , the 200 algos were an attemp to create the closer thing to the 9000

Sonically , while the Eq are quite close , the compression seems more accurate for the duende in the channel strip .

Notice that the SSL comp from IK is a pure beauty and one of the closest to the real thing around 

• Like 3

I have used the UAD SSL for a couple of years and it's really amazing, especially as a Unison pre on recording inputs. I also have all the usual suspects and I find they all sound and behave differently. For instance, I always use the Waves SSL on a hi-hat track. Don't know why but it does nice things others don't. The PA versions are "heavy" sounding, thick and dense and really shine when they're driven, probably because of the TMT thing. I don't use the IK ones much at all, at least not to try to set up an SSL-sounding mix in the box. I have used them as their own sounding channel strip and as with all IK stuff, they sound groovy.

I have a ton of SSL bus comps as well, but the UAD version is always on my 2-bus. It feels like the hardware on a mix.

I grabbed this bundle because the discount is ridiculous. I would never pay the actual price but I thought this was a good deal. And, I really like these, especially the Channel Strip. I haven't spent too much time with it but so far I like it a lot. 

It is very open and transparent and the EQ is especially clear in the mid-highs and highs. It's not quite as beefy down low to me as some others but the filters are smooth. The comp is "grabby" in a nice way and seems just the right aggressiveness for most material.

I dropped 30 across a test mix and it barely registered a hit to the CPU. The metering is really good as well.

I think the reason some don't think these sound as good as some of the others is that you can't really drive the input to get some harmonics. You can't really "bend the board", so to speak, like the PA or the UAD. It seems to me it stays pretty clean until it hits red. 

Overall, I think it's a lovely channel strip and really does sound great. It feels like it's in a metal chassis, if that makes sense, very smooth operation. I'm glad I grabbed these, although I definitely didn't need another channel strip plugin. But, who can resist Larry's siren song?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tommy Byrnes said:

I have used the UAD SSL for a couple of years and it's really amazing, especially as a Unison pre on recording inputs. I also have all the usual suspects and I find they all sound and behave differently. For instance, I always use the Waves SSL on a hi-hat track. Don't know why but it does nice things others don't. The PA versions are "heavy" sounding, thick and dense and really shine when they're driven, probably because of the TMT thing. I don't use the IK ones much at all, at least not to try to set up an SSL-sounding mix in the box. I have used them as their own sounding channel strip and as with all IK stuff, they sound groovy.

I have a ton of SSL bus comps as well, but the UAD version is always on my 2-bus. It feels like the hardware on a mix.

I grabbed this bundle because the discount is ridiculous. I would never pay the actual price but I thought this was a good deal. And, I really like these, especially the Channel Strip. I haven't spent too much time with it but so far I like it a lot. 

It is very open and transparent and the EQ is especially clear in the mid-highs and highs. It's not quite as beefy down low to me as some others but the filters are smooth. The comp is "grabby" in a nice way and seems just the right aggressiveness for most material.

I dropped 30 across a test mix and it barely registered a hit to the CPU. The metering is really good as well.

I think the reason some don't think these sound as good as some of the others is that you can't really drive the input to get some harmonics. You can't really "bend the board", so to speak, like the PA or the UAD. It seems to me it stays pretty clean until it hits red. 

Overall, I think it's a lovely channel strip and really does sound great. It feels like it's in a metal chassis, if that makes sense, very smooth operation. I'm glad I grabbed these, although I definitely didn't need another channel strip plugin. But, who can resist Larry's siren song?

UAD (new user here since few weeks) is simply the best emulation (the mk2) , and yep you're right the bus comp is something on its own , same thing , my go to here ... and i oiwn all UAD comps ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zo said:

UAD (new user here since few weeks) is simply the best emulation (the mk2) , and yep you're right the bus comp is something on its own , same thing , my go to here ... and i oiwn all UAD comps ;) 

Hitting the Jensen Transformer and driving it is cream in my coffee!!

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Byrnes said:

Hitting the Jensen Transformer and driving it is cream in my coffee!!

but man , this is such a dsp hogg lol , by the way controlling it with console 1 via regular midi mode : pure pleasure !

Just now, Zo said:

but man , this is such a dsp hogg lol , by the way controlling it with console 1 via regular midi mode : pure pleasure !

They are hungry little buggers. With the Apollo and the Satellite I can run 10 on inputs during tracking, which lets me print the input and not worry about it during mix. I will often drop the Legacy SSL on those tracks during mix. The Legacy plugs have a very light hit on the SHARKs so I can drop a bunch and save the computer CPU.

1 minute ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

They are hungry little buggers. With the Apollo and the Satellite I can run 10 on inputs during tracking, which lets me print the input and not worry about it during mix. I will often drop the Legacy SSL on those tracks during mix. The Legacy plugs have a very light hit on the SHARKs so I can drop a bunch and save the computer CPU.

yep legacy are great and on pair with native stuff , i keep them for stuff here and there and i drop SSL V2 and Neve V2 on VIP's tracks , the one that i've found supebe is the DFC neve AMS for 20 % of dsp it sounds superb (kinda reminds me the duende clarity)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

Just to add, I have the SSL Saturator (another dastardly Larry temptation!) from another stupid deal a while back, and if you put that before the Channel Strip you can get the total sound. I tried it on a drum mix and it sounds really good.

oh yeah i forgot about this one , i confess i over abuse the neve preamp on the uad platform as well as the 610 ones ...

• Like 1

My son and I did a mix today of a hip hop tune he's working on and we put the Channel Strip and the Saturator on every track. Only a couple of loops and Superior Drummer, otherwise, mostly live instruments and vocals. It sounds really, really good. We had a mix strategy already for the tune and we threw it out.

2 hours ago, e-cue said:

Thanks! That's good to know, because there is a $10 VAT on top of the $49 price at the SSL website.  (Making a mental note to start checking prices at Sweetwater. They might even price match too...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Do SSL charge for version updates?

nope : DSP to native : free  , V4 to V5 : free , V5 to V6 : free with major Gui updates , at least we can agree that they're cool in that aspect 

• Thanks 1

I already own the Bus Compressor as well as the X-Comp and X-ValveComp, so $50 for the Channel Strip seems a bit much. And since I would have two licenses for the Bus Compressor I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to even sell the standalone Bus Compressor.

• Sad 1