[Solved]Recording Desaster since this week ? Can't record anymore with RME, Audiobox works.

Heinz Hupfer

Hi there:)

Since this week I can't record anymore with Cakewalk!

Tried it with a complete new Project, but it doesn't matter which project I load into Cakewalk!

1. Picture (Cakewalk Fehler Playback alte Spur)

An recorded track from last week, everything's fine and plays back normally

2. Picture (Cakewalk Fehler Aufnahme)

Here I took a picture at the recording, the waveform is totally OK.

BUT, as soon I stop recording:

3. Picture (Cakewalk Fehler Playback) 

The waveform looks like this. It is totally distorted, as you can see in the picture, completely overloaded!

Here is a link with the pictures on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al2mKojzOW0Mk51-R-Da9Wrjq4QTxQ

I've started new Windows and Cakewalk, doesn't help:(

What's wrong, nothing changed but updated to the new versions from march....

Please help!

Thanks;)

Bassman.

Cakewalk Fehler Aufnahme.png

Cakewalk Fehler Playback alte Spur.png

Cakewalk Fehler Playback.png

Hi again:)

WTF, tried with Sonar Platinum and same result, so it's not the update. OK, in a few hours I can test it with another Soundcard.

Instead of RME Hdsp 9652 I'm trying Audiobox 1818vsl.

Now I remember, I've installed new RME drivers, perhaps that's the problem???

I'm back soon....

Tested RME with Cubase and Studio One, recorded 1 track to test it, everything's OK with it, so it has to do with Cakewalk!

Hm.......

OK, I'm in hurry, but wanted to know:

Tested again with Audiobox and it's fine, I think the problem must be Cakewalk in conjunction with RME! anybody tested the new drivers or does anybody else have problems with RME in Cakwalk??

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

• Heinz Hupfer changed the title to Recording Desaster since this week ? Can't record anymore with RME, Audiobox works.

Hi again:)

So, installed old drivers from 2016, no effort, every recorded clip is totally distorted, recording itself looks good!

Installed Flash Update for RME Hdsp 9652 to the newest, installed newest drivers from FEB 2019, no effort, can't record anymore:(

Switched to Presonus Audiobox and it's fine again! so no problem at all, my work can grow on....

RME Hdsp and audiobox are working fine in Cubase and Studio One.

At the moment can't figure out the problem. How can I switch back to a previous version from Bandlab?? I have made no Backup from the last Installation Files:( 

Thanks,

Bassman.

Not sure how you can revert back to previous version. We have been asking for this feature. It was a really nice feature when we had Cakewalk Control Center. It had a rollback feature that's really needed in BandLab Assistant.

I have a RME audio interface and have not updated to the new drivers yet. After reading your posts I may hold off for the time being.

Have you tried a new test project in CbB? Just to rule out corrupt project file?

Does it sound overloaded on playback and just look that way?

If it sounds fine, it might be the graphic waveform scaling hosed up. 

If in track view you click and drag on the scale of the track divide with clip selected, you can expand and contract the wave form.

You are recording a single input to a mono track?

Edited by Gswitz

@Gswitz It looks overloaded and it is! Sounds like a digital feedback, but there is none, as the waveform at recording looks fine and sounds fine.  After hitting Space to stop recording it's switching to a stereoclip totally distorted. At Recording it shows a monoclip, i have selected ADAT 1 Left Input selected. (see pictures)

Curious that the older RME drivers have now the same result as the new drivers, so it must have to do with the Bandlab Update and I can't roll back...

There is no problem in Cubase and Studio One with the new drivers, it can't be my mixer who makes problems or any other things....

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

Have you tried deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core ?

I've found this can help with issues after updating audio drivers. 

This might also explain why you're getting the same results in SPLAT - the AUD.INI is using the profile from the previous drivers.

It kinda sounds like it is exactly doubling the signal.

This sometimes happens to me when i senda mono track to a single mono out. Cakewalk let's the track go stereo in the channel and then recombines it for the mono send causing an overload. (Totally beside the point)

I have no idea what could be causing this. I'm really scratching my head.

Do you have total mix? If yes try a complete reset in totalmix.

23 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

[...]

Instead of RME Hdsp 9652 I'm trying Audiobox 1818vsl.

[...]
Be aware that the Audiobox 1818VSL has several issues, and a more proper name would be Audiobox 1810VLS.
There is mysterious digital noise on the ADAT outs. It might also not roll well with USB3. At least that was the status
when I dumped it after realizing a firmware fix was not intended ever. 

Since you saw the same issue in platinum its definitely nothing that changed in this update so going back to a prior version is not going to help.
There are no changes to recording or waveform drawing for the March release. Since you had updated your RME drivers its likely some variable there. Did you flash the firmware as well?

@msmcleod

@Gswitz

I wanted to delete the AUD.INI, but decided to experiment with the Audio Preferences. 

So I changed the buffersize, which I have generally at 128 and on 2028 for mixing.

Changed it to 256 and clicked on 64 bit precision, which was unlikely unchecked (?). I always had this ON.

Cakewalk did some test and after this all worked fine.......??? 

Is it the same as to delete the AUD.ini?? Or make a new one? 

At the moment I can't reproduce the behaviour, I've undone the changes, but still OK.

Now I have an idea what happened. I decided to record a singer at home over the weekend, but I had my mixerdesk for the RME outside the weekend before and my mixer at home has no good faders. So I took the Audiobox at home and installed the drivers for it. This switched windows to 48 kHz as I saw now I tried to combine these 2 cards over ADAT cables.  

The singer didn't come because of a influenza and I changed back to RME Card but forgot to unplug  the AB.  On Wensday I tried to record something else with RME and then I saw the problems. 

I'm sure the problem was 48 kHz on Audiobox and 44.1 kHz on RME though I changed the right drivers in Cakewalk.

I hope that was the problem:) In future  I always unplug the Audiobox before switching back to RME....

Thanks for your help;)

Bassman.

1 hour ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

I wanted to delete the AUD.INI, but decided to experiment with the Audio Preferences. 

So I changed the buffersize, which I have generally at 128 and on 2028 for mixing.

Changed it to 256 and clicked on 64 bit precision, which was unlikely unchecked (?). I always had this ON.

Cakewalk did some test and after this all worked fine.......??? 

Is it the same as to delete the AUD.ini?? Or make a new one? 

Changing the buffer size will force a change in AUD.INI, so although it isn't quite the same as deleting it (which would force Cakewalk to create a new one), it was obviously enough in your case.

As you say though, having a mismatch between 44.1K & 48K would have caused issues too. Some drivers don't always change their sample rate / buffer size when Cakewalk tells them to, so it's best click the ASIO Panel button and check there too.

I'm glad it's all sorted now :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lapasoa said:

I have RME Firefox 400 and recently I've installed the last driver update, namely fw-win- 3125 of 02/25/2019.  My RME with Cakewalk is currently going as a shining star.

I have the same interface. This is great news. Thanks.

• Like 1

• Heinz Hupfer changed the title to [Solved]Recording Desaster since this week ? Can't record anymore with RME, Audiobox works.