David,

While listening I kept thinking that your song sounds like someone telling a story. That was before looking up "tone poem" and finding out that's what a tone poem is.  Very creative!  Reminds me a bit of Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev.
Thought I heard a bear sneaking up on me in there!
-Bjorn

On 2/14/2021 at 9:51 PM, bjornpdx said:

David,

While listening I kept thinking that your song sounds like someone telling a story. That was before looking up "tone poem" and finding out that's what a tone poem is.  Very creative!  Reminds me a bit of Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev.
Thought I heard a bear sneaking up on me in there!
-Bjorn

I've been listening to the russians lately!:D:D  Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Bjorn.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:31 AM, daryl1968 said:

Hi David - I hope you are well.

Strings and percussion sound great mate - just those BIG drums that get squashed when they come in.

This is an excellent composition - I listened to the end and it kept me listening.

Hi Daryl,  I tried using rx 7's declip on those horrible drum passages in order to make them better.  It improved a little, but they're still squashed.  Glad you liked the other bits.  Cheers!

On 2/17/2021 at 1:41 AM, Makke said:

Enjoyable composition with different parts. Sounds nice.

Makke glad to see you.  How are things in Finlandia?  I just listened to the Sibelius violin concerto for the umpteenth time last night.  This is a cool clip: 

Take care.

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 8:21 PM, Max Arwood said:

Are you taking a Audio mixing ear training?  Which one?  I used to have a finalized (hardware).  When you get the settings right they work really well.  I think I would like the software version way better than the hardware version!

Yes the TC Electronic finalizer does some things that other mastering products don't do.  It's great for dialing in things quickly.

Edited by David Sprouse

On 2/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, David Sprouse said:

Makke glad to see you.  How are things in Finlandia?  I just listened to the Sibelius violin concerto for the umpteenth time last night.  This is a cool clip: 

Take care.

Hi David! Things are quite well in Finland but the winter is way too cold. 
Have a nice weekend! Greetings Makke

On 2/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

We've come a long way since camp Granada (hello mother, hello father).  I used to live in Portland in 1986 and hung out at Apple music.  I wonder if we ever ran into each other.  Anyway, if I ever go camping again, I'll remember this!  Nice job, David.

I hung out at Apple when it was at the first location.  Bought many cigarette -smelling pieces of kit from there.   I can't remember when they moved, but by the time I was re acquainted with PDX they were out of business.  You must know Portland Music ...they're still around.  Thanks for listening to this rather lengthy piece. :D:D

On 2/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Cool stuff David.

At 10+ minutes isn't it more a "Tone Novelette"? 🙃

t

Tom,

Haha and tone novelette, that's a good idea! I agree 10 minutes is a long time for anyone.  Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my composition.    

• Like 1

Interesting piece, sounds like Peter and the Wolf and an occasional bear ramble into the scene and perhaps Bigfoot who I have heard might be in Oregon ? Having done many years of camping I can relate! Some of your sounds at night in a campground in the woods would get my attention! Lots of images come to mind listening.  Some of the themes could be pieces on their own.