Bandlab or Cakewalk By Bandlab

DallasSteve

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm sorry but that article is so full of misguided nonsense I'm not even going to bother commenting. For one I'm not sure when it was posted since the information is completely out of date and speculates on things the author clearly has no knowledge about.

I will comment on the commonly quoted reference about "old code". Developers don't rewrite code unless it makes sense to do so. Cakewalk is continually being refactored and new features being added while actively improving the existing features. I wish people didn't write stuff they have no understanding about :(

Here is a link to an article that mentions all the achievements since BandLab acquired Cakewalk. The link Scook posted covers in detail all the improvements and updates to existing features.

Totally agree about code. C++ exists also long time and never gets old : ) I think article author doesn't have any programming background. Also agree about why reinvent wheel and rewrite existing code : ) 

Edited by solarlux

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Here is a link to an article that mentions all the achievements since BandLab acquired Cakewalk. The link Scook posted covers in detail all the improvements and updates to existing features.

Thanks Noel and I agree with you the Bakers are doing a fantastic job with the DAW we love.    If you're on Windows 10 download it and give it a spin. Maybe it might not be your #1 DAW but still nice to have on your system just in case.

7 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Thanks Noel and I agree with you the Bakers are doing a fantastic job with the DAW we love.    If you're on Windows 10 download it and give it a spin. Maybe it might not be your #1 DAW but still nice to have on your system just in case.

Cakewalk is so easy and very good look at video how easy to build chords and fast in Cakewalk. Absolutely best DAW

Edited by solarlux

14 minutes ago, solarlux said:

Cakewalk is so easy and very good look at video how easy to build chords and fast in Cakewalk. Absolutely best DAW

That is subjective. Don't get me wrong ,I love CbB but there are other DAW's that I like and use for other reasons.  I come to the conclusion that there is no one best DAW out there.  If CbB fits your needs use it and be happy.

1 minute ago, InstrEd said:

That is subjective. Don't get me wrong ,I love CbB but there are other DAW's that I like and use for other reasons.  I come to the conclusion that there is no one best DAW out there.  If CbB fits your needs use it and be happy.

Agree

Great article. This sums it up 😛

How can we fix this terrible code?
“We’re programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We’re not excited by incremental renovation: tinkering, improving, planting flower beds.”
— Joel Spolsky, CEO of Stackoverflow

Rewrites have no direct effects/benefits for the customer. Your users don’t care about your code. They just want to solve their own problem.

I've been at Cakewalk over 20 years and have worked on every single version of Cakewalk SONAR as well as several new products that started from scratch. 
Guess what - the new products didn't have a smaller bug to feature complexity ratio. Its flawed thinking to to assume that something new must be better and is something mostly propagated by inexperienced engineers.

To take a somewhat tangential parallel from architecture, a lot of Europe doesn't throw away their old buildings, they maintain and renovate. Why? Obviously in large part its because they see art and value in it but its also because they have strong foundations and value.

The fact that we have been releasing high value updates almost monthly for the last 3 years should be enough to convince naysayers that we're actively improving the product  and its not "legacy code" whatever that is.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Great article. This sums it up 😛

I've been at Cakewalk over 20 years and have worked on every single version of Cakewalk SONAR as well as several new products that started from scratch. 
Guess what - the new products didn't have a smaller bug to feature complexity ratio. Its flawed thinking to to assume that something new must be better and is something mostly propagated by inexperienced engineers.

To take a somewhat tangential parallel from architecture, a lot of Europe doesn't throw away their old buildings, they maintain and renovate. Why? Obviously in large part its because they see art and value in it but its also because they have strong foundations and value.

The fact that we have been releasing high value updates almost monthly for the last 3 years should be enough to convince naysayers that we're actively improving the product  and its not "legacy code" whatever that is.

Yes and testing also is hard. Its beauty of OOP Of reusable objects if all tested and works well why write  module again if input and expected output is same : ) I think rewriting code what is tested and works well is regression instead of progress.Sometimes some refactoring of code but its code optimization not writing it again. If  big code base build it can be wasted hours of hard work to writing code from scratch again.

Edited by solarlux

18 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

Here is the page where I read what I thought says it's not being updated, under Con - Old Code, pretty far down the page.  Did I misunderstand?

https://www.slant.co/versus/6429/26342/~pro-tools-2018-7_vs_cakewalk-by-bandlab

First, DallasSteve is correct in referring to that as a "page" rather than an "article," as in something written by one or more people who stake their reputations on its accuracy. Notice there is no way to up or downvote comments. Slant seems to be a collection of laypeople's opinions. Nothing wrong with that as long as people reading it remember it. SONAR is on there as well, and one of its "CONs" is supposedly that it has no scissors tool. It's as if Consumer Reports were written by YouTube comments.

I do notice that in the summary, while Cakewalk outranks Pro Tools overall, Pro Tools has a slight edge when Slant's community of experts is ranking "free music making software tools." Got that? Cakewalk's the better DAW, but Pro Tools is the better free software.

Second, Steve, did you miss this comment higher on the page? "Pro: Updated frequently" 😊

Since there's been some confusion expressed regarding BandLab and its relationship with Cakewalk, I'll see if I can clarify:

BandLab is a company and also the name of one of its flagship products, a freeware DAW that runs in Chrome-based web browsers and on iOS and Android devices. There is a "social media" site also by that name where musicians may connect and collaborate using the DAW.

Cakewalk by BandLab is another product of the BandLab company, a freeware DAW that runs on Windows and was originally based on the SONAR DAW code that BandLab purchased over 3 years ago and has been constantly improving ever since. Cakewalk has a small amount of integration with the BandLab social media site in that it is possible to upload and download projects directly from and to Cakewalk.

It is not necessary to use the BandLab social media site or any version of BandLab the DAW in order to use Cakewalk. The only requirement is that the user must create a BandLab account in order to download, install, and register Cakewalk.

Cakewalk must be allowed to connect to the internet at least once every 6 months to contact the BandLab licensing server and renew the license, no user intervention necessary.

So, if you want to use a DAW on your phone, tablet, or in a browser, check out the BandLab DAW. If you want a much more comprehensive DAW that runs on your Windows system, check out Cakewalk by BandLab.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RexRed said:

Before Cakewalk we used to navigate music with a sextant and a compass and count measures with an abacus...  :)

You had a sextant at least! I remember when "piano roll view" meant going to Shakey's Pizza and staring at the piano, when "track view" was something that you had while waiting for your train, when "console view" was what happened when you'd watch TV, and when "staff view" meant that a company had windows in its offices. A "cue sheet" was something we sat on at a cookout and "cursor" was what my mom became when she dropped a jar of applesauce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

You had a sextant at least! I remember when "piano roll view" meant going to Shakey's Pizza and staring at the piano, when "track view" was something that you had while waiting for your train, when "console view" was what happened when you'd watch TV, and when "staff view" meant that a company had windows in its offices. A "cue sheet" was something we sat on at a cookout and "cursor" was what my mom became when she dropped a jar of applesauce.

I have a friend who once had staff view. Terrible terrible terrible... :)

But back to the original question. BandLab bought the Cakewalk software from Gibson back in 2018 in to order to have a fully fledged desktop DAW for their portfolio.

It was my understanding that the reasoning was to have a path for BandLab online users to "graduate" to a desktop DAW.