Best Hardware for a PC Upgrade? - Help pls

musikman1

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.  The very strange thing about this, is that Windows has it listed in Device Mgr as working properly.  To top it off, today while Cakewalk was open, I shut the power switch to the keyboard and Cakewalk threw a message up that the device has been disconnected and do I want CW to reroute, I chose No. Then when I turned the power back on, Cakewalk asked me if I wanted to Add the device, so I hit the Yes button to add it, but as you can see in the 3rd image, its still not showing up in Preferences/MIDI/Devices.  I also tried closing CW after than and re-opening, but didn't work. Same result

MK361 in Cakewalk Settings 1 - E.jpg

MK361 in Cakewalk Settings 2 - E.jpg

MK361 in Cakewalk Settings 3 - E.jpg

Edited by musikman1

Also, I read an old thread posted by Scook directing to another forum that was regarding multiple instances in Device Mgr, which I had. You can see a few grayed out listed along with the solid colored one. I did delete those last night to try to see if that would work, but so far no luck.  Here's the thread....

https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/modules-and-midi/solving-the-windows-midi-port-problem-r309/

It also mentions windows only allowing 10 entries. This is way above my pc knowledge, so I only deleted the duplicates for my keyboard that were grayed out and left the one solid color entry.  I'm not sure what all the others are, possibly equip that my pc tech had connected when he did the upgrade, so with not being able to distinguish what the others are until I can speak to him, I just left them alone, which makes more than 10 entries.  Still doesn't explain why CW doesn't list it.....also I have a stand alone B3 organ that is also no longer recognizing the keyboard, so it appears it's not just CW.

MK361 in Devices - E.jpg

Michael, I did try it with a stand alone B3 organ and didn't work. However, my PC tech just fixed it, all set now!  He did what you said about uninstalling the driver then re-installing it, but he did fix a couple of other things before doing that. It seems I'm all set now. It was just strange that CW would notice when I turned off the keyboard, and when I turned it back on it asked if I want to add it, but it never showed up in the active midi device list in CW.  Thanks guys for hanging with me on this and for all the help, much appreciated! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm just considering an upgrade on the cheap, however, my current setup is a Lenovo Thinkpad  T520 Laptop Core i5 with VPro, 4 Gb Ram and 250 Gb SSD. (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

In addition I put the majority of VSTs on a large Western Digital My Book external hard drive.

Now whether its the VPro platform I don't know but the laptop has proved reliable, bought as a refurb ex-business unit some years back and I've been looking at similar Core i7 Thinkpads T or P range with more memory and poss bigger HD. The i5 is quick and i have the same battery I started with probably 6-7 years back. Had to replace the HD when the SSD was put in. 

I use Tascam US  122 and US 100 USB Audio interfaces - basic but OK for my needs.

I don't know whether this will give some food for thought - Phil

19 hours ago, Phil Deacon said:

Hi I'm just considering an upgrade on the cheap, however, my current setup is a Lenovo Thinkpad  T520 Laptop Core i5 with VPro, 4 Gb Ram and 250 Gb SSD. (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

In addition I put the majority of VSTs on a large Western Digital My Book external hard drive.

Now whether its the VPro platform I don't know but the laptop has proved reliable, bought as a refurb ex-business unit some years back and I've been looking at similar Core i7 Thinkpads T or P range with more memory and poss bigger HD. The i5 is quick and i have the same battery I started with probably 6-7 years back. Had to replace the HD when the SSD was put in. 

I use Tascam US  122 and US 100 USB Audio interfaces - basic but OK for my needs.

I don't know whether this will give some food for thought - Phil

you'd get a performance boost just by adding more ram, also does it have space internally for an extra hd?