Easy way to put names on keys on piano roll?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Is there an easy way to like just put labels or names on the keys of the piano roll? Because I have impact sound work's frame drums and I like to put names on the piano roll so I know which note is what kind of drum..........

I've googled...studied midi drum maps....watched videos...STILl don't know how to edit the files :<......

12 answers to this question

I don't know how to edit the PVR note assignments but what I have done in the past is mark my Keyboard controller with a strip of masking tape and write the drum sounds down on that. 

I don't really ever write music in the PVR I just edit. I play stuff in real time on my keyboard. Faster. Can't think of anything more painfully slow than manual entering of notes. Much easier to just bang it out and fix my mistakes. 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

It involves editing the master.ins file.

I describe the process here

the biggest problem with using alternate note names in the Notes pane is they are not persistent. Unlike drum maps, the alternate note names must be selected every time the track is loaded in the PRV.

48 minutes ago, scook said:

It involves editing the master.ins file.

I describe the process here

the biggest problem with using alternate note names in the Notes pane is they are not persistent. Unlike drum maps, the alternate note names must be selected every time the track is loaded in the PRV.

Ah thanks for sharing...I think I've read that one...thought 2 years later there would be an easier way :<.. Ok I'll download that file and try to play around with it thankss

16 hours ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Is there an easy way to like just put labels or names on the keys of the piano roll? Because I have impact sound work's frame drums and I like to put names on the piano roll so I know which note is what kind of drum..........

I've googled...studied midi drum maps....watched videos...STILl don't know how to edit the files :<......

Easy! I'm not at my home studio or have my laptop on me, but . . . 

1: Right click on any key in the piano roll view. 

2: select "use these note name instead."

In the drop down menu select "General Midi Drums" and hit OK.

And, I believe they say Voila! 😊 

That's a start.

It gets a little more interesting when one needs to add a custom entry to the Alternate Notes drop down.

Regardless as mentioned above, unlike drum maps (which may be used for any MIDI note labeling duty even drums)  Alternate Notes has a persistence problem

12 hours ago, scook said:

Don't need to use the Drum Map Manager to create simple Drum Maps. Any tool capable of writing a text file may be used along with a freely available ins-to-drum map program.

I tried to google that. Three first pages gave nothing.

There is a link to the site w/ the program in the thread I linked above but here it is again

From http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-Cakewalk-by-BandLab-CbB-Resources-and-Utilities-m3392713.aspx

Ins2map.zip (Listed Nov 18 2015)
ralf (Ralf Sesseler)
This tool will convert an instrument definition (ins file) into a drum map for Cakewalk SONAR. (Essentially, any text file with a mapping from midi note number to drum instrument name can be used.) The created drum map uses default values for most parameters and is not linked to a particular virtual instrument, so it's mainly the first step and may require enhancements to be done in SONAR directly. 
Download and Further Information http://dis.sesseler.de/ In the left menu area, click on “Cakewalk SONAR”. Then select “Instrument to Drum Map” to download the file.

• Like 1

@scook

Thanks. Sorry about that. I read your first post. But i read all posts first and then follow links.

As i don't know much about drum maps i didn't know the difference between master.ins and alternate notes name i thought it was waste of time to follow that link if they wasn't persistent.

On 2/11/2021 at 6:54 PM, John Vere said:

mark my Keyboard controller with a strip of masking tape and write the drum sounds down on that

Best testament to the utility of Cakewalk's drum map system I've seen! I thought about using my P-Touch or a Sharpie, but board tape is less destructive to the controller.

Another way to do it is right click on the piano keys and use the Note Names dialog and select Use These Notes Instead. There is a GM drum kit in there.

HOWEVER, there is a bug in this that reverts the PRV to piano keys when you close and reopen the PRV. Also, if you have multiple MIDI tracks, changing note names will apply to all of them, including non-drum ones.

In the end, it's just easier to memorize the keys for kick, snare, hi-hat and a few others. And I lobby for improvements to the drum map system and Drum Pane and wait.