G.A.S. what do you actually use?

Vernon Barnes

Many of us here suffer from GAS and acquire VSTs like billy-O.  I decided to look at my latest project, a four song "EP" and list all the virtual instruments and sample libraries in use. This does not include drum, bass and guitar libraries used in writing and arranging where parts were replaced by real instruments or any effects.

Song 1

GForce Minimonsta
GForce Oddity
GForce VSM
Synthmaster 2
Waves Codex
Waves Electric Grand 80
Waves Clavinette
IK Hammond Organ

Kontakt

• Orange Tree Famous E Electric Piano

EW Play

• Gypsy Violin

Plus real drums, bass guitar, ebow bass and electric dulcimer.

Song 2

Waves Electric 88 (Rhodes)
Waves Codex
Arturia Pigments
Arturia Mini V3
GForce Minimonsta
GForce MTron Pro

Kontakt.

• Orange Tree Rock Standard
  • Orange Tree Texas Twang
  • Kirk Hunter Pop and Rock Strings
  • 8Dio Claire Alto Flute

EW Play

• Steven Wilson Ghostwriter vocal clusters.

Plus real drums and bass guitar.

Song 3

EW Play

• Quantum Leap Bechstine Grand Piano

Kontakt

• Hideaway studios string collection
  • Heavyocity Vocalise gravity pack 2
  • Soundiron Hyperon Strings Elements.

Plus real drums, bass and electric guitar.

Song 4

Kontakt.

• Sampletekk Rain Piano 2
  • Sonokinetic Ostinato winds.
  • Joshua Bell Violin.

EW Play

• Hollywood Choirs.
  • Basoon
  • English Horn
  • Obeos
  • French Horn
  • Trumpets

This is a hard one to answer. I've experimented with so many free synth's and samples. I use strings and piano as background and almost always go to a few patches in Dimension Pro and SI Strings. I've used pipe organ samples someone painstakingly sampled from a very old church in England I got off a Soundfont site many years ago that's no longer there, but I have the sf2's backed up.

My main instruments are my guitars.

Session Drummer 3 for drums.

Dimension Pro for strings and piano and SI Strings.

Guitar Rig Pro 4 for my amps and other special effects. You can run vocals through it and do some cool stuff. I like how you can record just the effects and save them as a wav.

For mixing/mastering I use Ozone 9 Advanced, Melda AutoDynamicEQ, and the stuff that comes with Studio One Pro and CbB.

I don't have the smarts or the attention span anymore to really dive in to new things so I tend to stick to what my muscle memory will allow. I mean, it just took me 4 days to set up a hardware loop on my audio interface. I fear I'm on a downward spiral. 

I'll have to dig out that pipe organ sound font set and do something and post. It was really good, especially when you know it's a real several hundred year old pipe organ.

Virtual instruments can be a source of inspiration, even serendipity.

In my current project, I created a temporary drum track using the TTS-1, as I often do. But then on a whim threw some distortion on the TTS-1 and squashed the hell out of it with the over-the-top LoudMax limiter. I liked the result so much that I decided to leave the TTS-1 in as the primary drum synth. But I wanted a more resonant-sounding kick so I used a Kontakt library made from plastic water jugs. Sorry, Superior Drummer, you'll have to sit this one out. 

As to "how can you have guitar acquisition syndrome for a vst?", the answer is sampled guitars. This project started out as a demonstration for Indiginus' latest offering, called Generation Electric Guitar, which I was reviewing for SoundBytes. The demo didn't get completed in time for the article submission, so I decided to flesh it out with a bunch of other guitar libraries: Indiginus Steel (lap steel), Indiginus Renegade Electric, and both electric and acoustic 12-string guitars from Orange Tree Samples. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in every guitar library I have, although it would take months to cycle through them all. Maybe I'll find some inspiration in Cinematic Guitars today...

• Like 1

So many VSTs but only a few get used. Spent a lot of money over the years on Spitfire, Toontrack, AAS, EastWest, Korg, Melda, FabFilter and then hardly ever use them.
I tend to go with u-He a lot -  Zebra, Diva and the more obscure ACE and Repro
Also on the go to list:  Omnisphere, Alchemy (ancient but still good), Kontakt (Session Guitarist mainly, Heavyocity and Indiginus), Arturia (but only CS-80, Modular and Pigments) and a couple more I can't think of at the moment.

If stuck on a desert island with only one synth choice - Omnisphere.