Melda licenses and bundles (not a deal, but info you may want to know)

Barrie

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

As one often says: companies are not your friends.

A similar policy could be seen with upgrading to versions of Cubase 10. If you owned LE, it would seem cheaper to upgrade to an intermediary version first, then to Pro... Except there's no price difference. Upgrading from LE to Pro in one go would cost you the same as going from LE to, Artist (which they removed in version 11), then to Pro.

Where is the similarity and who said it must be cheaper to buy an intermediary version first? Makes totally no sense to bring Steinberg into this thread with a lame comparison .  Any word about my example above?  

I donate you 100,- € via PayPal if you find another dev upgrade plan which is even worse then the Melda example above. I know you can't so no risk for me. :D

FYI folks,  don't even bother replying to this guy "mlad 72".  "mlad 72" complained about this same gd thing over on KVR for OVER TWO YEARS and never once contacted Melda support about the issue to give them the opportunity to look at his account and fix the problem.   For some reason he doesn't  want Melda looking at his account...  🤔

The thread was eventually shut down because it was going nowhere, and all he did was complain and wouldn't do anything about it. Obviously the same thing is about to happen here, now that he has showed up...

Later.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, mladi 72 said:

Where is the similarity and who said it must be cheaper to buy an intermediary version first? Makes totally no sense to bring Steinberg into this thread with a lame comparison .  Any word about my example above?  

I donate you 100,- € via PayPal if you find another dev upgrade plan which is even worse then the Melda example above. I know you can't so no risk for me. :D

Judging by the post right above mine, you don't have that money either, so I won't be wasting my time.

• Meh 1

Even if you buy all the plugins that make up a bundle, there is a upgrade price to "get "the bundle.  And if you don't pay it then you won't get future products that are added to the bundle.  Long story short, buying single Melda plugins are never a good deal if you will ever want to upgrade to a bundle. 

But what is important is what the products do (or don't do) and how they do it.  The fact you can't get a crazy good deal on Melda is just one of the factors.  I think a lot of the newer Melda plugins are overpriced due to the weekly 50% sales.  And the bundles are overpriced due to the every major holiday 50% off sales. 

Their entire product line is priced assuming a 50% discount.  And that's really all on us.  Right now the most (only?) adverting these small software niche software developers have is via offering a sale.  They can't buy enough exposure but if they overprice the product and then offer a 50% off sale dozens of web sites and forums like this will promote their product, for free.  We made this beast.

• Like 2

If you contact Melda support they will tell you why your upgrade price is what it is.
Good or bad they track exactly what you've ever paid (on their site) for any plugin and for ones purchased through resellers they assume you paid 50%.
Don't recall how they calculate private transfers. 

When I contacted them complaining about my upgrade prices they listed each qualifying plugin I owned and what I had paid for it and how much it contributed to the discount. Since I rarely buy plugins not on sale the total discount was lower than I had hoped, I didn't like it but it was consistent and accurate.

If you have further complaints on this particular issue please list what Melda support said are the reasons why they quoted such a low upgrade price.  We'd all be interested.
But if you're just venting then a single post on this thread is more than sufficient.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, mibby said:

FYI folks,  don't even bother replying to this guy "mlad 72".  "mlad 72" complained about this same gd thing over on KVR for OVER TWO YEARS and never once contacted Melda support about the issue to give them the opportunity to look at his account and fix the problem.   For some reason he doesn't  want Melda looking at his account...  🤔

The thread was eventually shut down because it was going nowhere, and all he did was complain and wouldn't do anything about it. Obviously the same thing is about to happen here, now that he has showed up...

Later.

We don't allow personal attacks. Please don't do this in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mladi 72 said:

uhh....WAVES is worse.

I prefer USD via paypal, pm me for where to send it to.   😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Waves is worse. And WUP is the devil. 

I'm in the process of moving from a desktop to a laptop. I got SO sick of Waves shells and WUP (I had v9, v10 and v11 shells, 'cause I wouldn't WUP), that I wrote off the $1000s invested in Waves plugins. Sayo'f'ing'nara.

• Great Idea 1

On 2/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, Sander Verstraten said:

If you have MTurboReverbLE, you can either use the license to upgrade to a bundle with LE plugins.

Or 

Upgrade to the full version.

This. You may choose how to apply your upgrade credit, either for enabling extra features in the single plug-in, or getting a collection with more plug-ins.

FWIW, regarding the assumption that the user paid 50% of list if they bought it from a reseller: at least in my case, that would be quite generous, as I have always paid much less than 50% of list when buying from resellers. Resellers put certain plug-ins at way deeper than 50% discount from time to time. I got MReverbMB that way at PB. Otherwise, why bother buying from a reseller? Meldaproduction rotates all of their individual plug-ins through the 50% off sales anyway.

Regarding users airing grievances because the calculations from the website came out wrong, here's a consumer tip: the first place to contact is customer support at the company. Then if you still don't get satisfaction you can complain on public fora to warn/commiserate with other consumers. Companies make mistakes. Web sites have programs on the back end that can have bugs. Orders are not processed by human beings. Assuming that it's a deliberate "policy" rather than a bug, well, does making that assumption get a person anywhere except angry? Unless they somehow enjoy venting and then eye-rolling when they don't get validation? I don't get it. If I think I was overcharged for something, I contact the company and ask them to make it right, and that can include a refund of the transaction. This policy has never failed me, ever, in half a century of buying things.

Some companies don't apply any credit from individual products toward bundles. A wise consumer must study the upgrade policies if future upgrading is important to them. There are many plug-in developers out there. I don't require any single company's product(s) to be perfectly happy and functional making music and mixing and none of them owe me conformation to my idea of "fair" when it comes to their policies, merely that they allow their policies to be known before I purchase.

People on this forum especially should remember that there's never a guarantee that any company is going to survive until you decide to upgrade. If I had held a license for SONAR Artist or Home Studio in November 2017, and BandLab hadn't stepped in....yikes.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, John said:

We don't allow personal attacks. Please don't do this in the future.

Duly noted.  As an explanation, when I saw the Forum Troll (currently 12 posts) show up HERE and start spewing the same bile he did on another forum I enjoy spending a lot of time on, I got quite irritated.  Especially so, since he has never even tried - in TWO YEARS! - to get any sort of resolution to his purported "problem".  

I'd also like to point out that there was a real discussion going on that could be useful information to other forum members and even the dev in question - and it was totally appropriate in a "deals" forum. But to have someone "drop in" and start poisoning the discussion HERE all over again...  🤬

I consider a lot of these members here my virtual friends  and I suppose I felt a sort of duty to give them a heads up not to waste their time and hopefully save them the aggravation. 

Anyway, sorry about my response above John, and please accept my apology.

------ back on topic -----

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Waves charges a single sum to upgrade all your plugins to the latest version.

By contrast, Melda charges you nothing to upgrade all of your plugins to the latest version.   ... and they actually update their plugins.  :)

• Like 6
  • Meh 1

3 hours ago, John Maar said:

I'm in the process of moving from a desktop to a laptop.

FYI - I'm in the same boat.  I actually just moved over to a new-to-me PC. I was dreading moving the Waves stuff over.*  But, I followed the steps on their website on how to do it. To my surprise, I found that the newer Waves Central worked pretty well with my v10-12 plugins. Then the offline installer worked for the v9 stuff (most of my Waves plugins) and was almost painless.

* Anti-WUPper and proud

9 hours ago, mibby said:

By contrast, Melda charges you nothing to upgrade all of your plugins to the latest version.   ... and they actually update their plugins.

I think I maybe used one Melda plugin in a mix after all this time with the free bundle installed. Their plugins have extra functions that are not intuitive to figure and they don't seem to have any written documentation either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Their plugins have extra functions that are not intuitive to figure and they don't seem to have any written documentation either.

Yes, the documentation is lacking and the plugins can sometimes seem counter-intuitive.  One thing they do have going for them though is that they are modular, meaning that once you figure out a particular set of functions, say the multi-band features (MB) for example,  it's lather rinse and repeat for any of the plugins that have that feature, which would be any of them suffixed with "MB" in this example.

And honestly, I have to gear up and get ready to go to school when I want to dive into one of the plugins and really learn it.  There is a learning curve for some of the plugins for sure.  But they are top quality.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1