Melda licenses and bundles (not a deal, but info you may want to know)

Barrie

I just wanted to pass on this information I got from Luke at Melda. Maybe others know about this, but I did not.

For example:

If you own MTurboReverbLE, you can use it to upgrade to MTurboReverb,

BUT

If you upgrade to a bundle that contains MTurboReverbLE, you lose that license and are unable to upgrade to MTurboReverb.

So even thought you still own the plugin (as part of the bundle) you are not able to upgrade.

Just wanted to pass that on (a bit disappointed).

----- CLARIFICATION (as it seems there was some confusion) -----

If you own MTurboReverbLE, and you upgrade to a bundle containing MTurboReverbLE, you lose your stand alone MTurboReverbLE license, and can no longer use it to upgrade to MTurboReverb.

You can only upgrade a stand alone license of a product (e.g. MTurboReverbLE purchased separately) to upgrade to a full version. 

(hopefully clearer) also noted by Sander below.

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 1

So, if I understand what you wrote, if I have MTurboReverbLE, paid for, then upgrade that LE version to the full version (paid for) I will loose the full version license if I ever upgrade to a bundle that has MTurboReverbLE in it.

If this is correct, this is even more stupid than IK upgrade policy (if you wanna call it that!)

I have always respected Melda and their policies regarding upgrades.

I am finding this hard to believe that it would screw the user this way. For a company that has at times bent over backwards for its customers,  this is highly unusual. 

1 hour ago, mladi 72 said:

Same with their upgrade prices for bundles if you bought single plugins via a reseller and not directly from them. Terrible behaviour. I'm done with them.

It you bought anything from a reseller (company or individual) they assume you paid 50% of list price and work from there.
Pretty straightforward.

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I have always respected Melda and their policies regarding upgrades.

I am finding this hard to believe that it would screw the user this way. For a company that has at times bent over backwards for its customers,  this is highly unusual. 

I'm gonna guess Melda is probably not making enough money or thinks they are not making enough money.

I don't see the problem.  Once you upgrade to a bundle, you get a license for that bundle, and all of the individual licenses are rolled into that.   But you got a discount for owning MTurboReverbLE when you bought the bundle. 

If you upgrade to MTurboReverb instead, you still get credit for it.  Then, you could eventually get a discount for a bundle that contains MTurboReverb.  So you could kind of double-dip with the credits that way...

Still, Melda gives you credit for owning MTurboReverbLE either way...  Seems perfectly fair to me. 

Edited by mibby

While it would be nice if they allowed you to double dip and get both credit for a bundle upgrade then credit again for an LE to full version update - like mibby I don't see the big deal about it not being the case. Still I guess YMMV

However they do allow you to use one bundle to upgrade to (get discounts on) another bundle...

Edited by TheSteven

Bundles only give discounts on the larger "final" bundles.  Any overlap between two bundles don't result in a lower cost.  So having the mixing bundle doesn't help you getting the mastering bundle, even though there is some overlap between the two.  And the 50% assumption on anything not purchased directly, which is then discounted when computing what your upgrade discount is can be a bit disappointing.  But while not exactly a deal paradise, Melda is reasonably consistent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mibby said:

I don't see the problem.  Once you upgrade to a bundle, you get a license for that bundle, and all of the individual licenses are rolled into that.   But you got a discount for owning MTurboReverbLE when you bought the bundle.

So if I have a car, add one option as an upgrade, then decide I want to upgrade to a pack which doesn't have that upgrade, can the manufacturer downgrade the upgrade that's already there because it's not part of the pack?

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Any overlap between two bundles don't result in a lower cost. 

Are you sure about this one?  I guess I've always had miscellaneous singles that applied towards the next bundle...  (?)

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

So if I have a car, add one option as an upgrade, then decide I want to upgrade to a pack which doesn't have that upgrade, can the manufacturer downgrade the upgrade that's already there because it's not part of the pack?

I don't follow you, sorry.  He upgraded to a bundle which included his original plugin (which he got credit for).  Nothing was downgraded.

What's unfortunate, is that it's no longer an individual license, so he can't get credit for it again to pick up the full version - MTurboReverb.  It would have been good to know how it worked beforehand because he may have made a different decision when using the license to upgrade. 

FWIW, keep an eye out for one-off Melda sales. Those $15-$20 deals can really add up to good discounts on bundle upgrades, especially during BF.  A couple of years ago - I think it was Audio Plugin Deals -  had MTurboReverb and MTurboComp for $99.  So other sales do come around.

Thanks for the heads up Barry. 

The LE plugins are the "easy" screen versions of the full plugins and don't have access to the "edit" screens.  So you wouldn't use  MTurboReverb to upgrade to a bundle that has MTurboReverbLE, they are not the same license.   When you were done, you'd have your bundle license and MTurboReverb license.  At least that's how I understand it would work.  But that wasn't even the original question. (??)

Edited by mibby

23 minutes ago, mibby said:

The LE plugins are the "easy" screen versions of the full plugins and don't have access to the "edit" screens.  So you wouldn't use  MTurboReverb to upgrade to a bundle that has MTurboReverbLE, they are not the same license.   When you were done, you'd have your bundle license and MTurboReverb license.  At least that's how I understand it would work.  But that wasn't even the original question. (??)

Uh... You're upgrading to a package that has more plugins... How can you not?

1 hour ago, mibby said:

Are you sure about this one?  I guess I've always had miscellaneous singles that applied towards the next bundle...  (?)

The upgrade is computed based on what you own vs what is in the bundle.  So when you own the mixing bundle, that is one entire unit.  And isn't part of the mastering bundle.  So no discount.  But if you have any single plugins, those will count.  The smaller bundles do apply discounts to the two larger bundles, but that's it.  So having the mixing bundle does give a discount on MTotalFXBundle and/or MCompleteBundle but not other bundles.  And that's why having a bundle doesn't help you buy an upgrade to anything in that bundle (which is the case here).

I'm not sure if you can choose to omit some single plugins when doing an upgrade deal, which might have been better here.  But I'm not 100% sure if/how that works.  The upgrade deal may not let you pick and choose what is included (Waves does let you do this for example).

It is one of the things I wish they would reconsider.  For a long time I wanted to get the mixing bundle to go with my mastering bundle.  But with no discount due to the cross overs I just waited.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheSteven said:

It you bought anything from a reseller (company or individual) they assume you paid 50% of list price and work from there.
Pretty straightforward.

That isn't the fact in reality. An example: They offer me in my account an upgrade to MEssentialsFXBundle (10 plugins) where i can get one additional plugin for 232 EUR. The other nine plugins of that bundle which i already own they calculated with 24 EUR spent from my side .  That is just one example and even that "wrong" calculation from them getting worse and worse because when i click on that link they only deducted 17 EUR not 24 EUR from what i've "spent" for nine plugins according to their user-friendly calculation. So a bundle with ten plugins which cost 249 EUR  from which i already bought nine from resellers i got now an offer to buy the last plugin for 232 EUR.. Do you find it still pretty straightforward?

screenshot-www.meldaproduction.com-2021-02-12-11-10-19-988.png

As one often says: companies are not your friends.

A similar policy could be seen with upgrading to versions of Cubase 10. If you owned LE, it would seem cheaper to upgrade to an intermediary version first, then to Pro... Except there's no price difference. Upgrading from LE to Pro in one go would cost you the same as going from LE to, Artist (which they removed in version 11), then to Pro.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

17 hours ago, Barrie said:

hopefully clearer) also noted by Sander below.

Yes that is much clearer to me now. 

So, if I bought the bundle with a LE version in it, I could not upgrade to the full version at an upgrade cost? I would have to pay full price?

Still sounds like IK BS to me.

• Like 2