CWAF

Starship Krupa

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Whenever I see that, I can't help thinking  it stands for "CAKEWALK AS F**K!!"

Yep, I would have lived the rest of my life and that thought would never pop into my head.

: )

57 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yep, I would have lived the rest of my life and that thought would never pop into my head.

Are apologies in order? I have it in my sig now.

To me it means I only ever run Cakewalk, not Sonar, and I never call it "Sonar" or "Splat" in the forum and I'm also down with Take Lanes. If any of my brothers or sisters comes here for help with "Sonar," I remind them that there's something better. 🤣

(PLEASE understand that the above is meant to be an ironic parody of punk puritanism!)

I don't know anyone's age or musical/cultural background, so I don't know if "punk as f---" rings any bells. I'm not sure where it originated, but it was a phrase that hardcore kids used to describe things that were totally "punk." Like if you brought your boombox into study hall and blasted Minor Threat and then flipped off the monitor and told them that they were a tool of governmental/corporate oppression when they asked you to turn it off.

A new neon yellow mohawk could also be "punk as f---."

In my specific scene in the '80's, it was a phrase that was parodied the instant we became aware of it, because everything was one big joke to us, and anyway, we were what is now known as post-punk, so talking about what was or was not "punk" was kiddy stuff. The most enduring one was "funk as puck" because there were a few West Coast Red Hot Chili Pepper Gang of Four slap bass/rap shout funk-punk bands around. "Hey, y'all are funk as PUCK!" Hilarity ensues.

37 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Are apologies in order? I have it in my sig now.

Aww he** no!!

And I don't see anyone's signature anymore. Wonder why?

And as far as punk stuff, I am older than that! But I was exposed to it by the younger crowd where I worked. I only picked up on Social Distortion and Me First And The Gimee Gimee's. Never was a Johnny Rotten or Sex Pistol's fan at all. But I did like Debra Harry!

Edited by Grem
Added info

Paul McCartney was into the RAM thing, too, wasn't he?

I sold out! I recently switched the system drive in my main DAW system to an SSD. Thanks to Black Friday freebies, I own several Wave plug-ins, including TrueVerb, my "go-to" reverb (even though it has steadfastly resisted my several attempts to understand its theory of operation).

Mostly I put that in my sig because of coming across threads where someone would ask about how to tune their compressor settings to get a lead vocal to be more up front in the mix, and sure enough, if the discussion made it to page 3, they would have been counseled that Renaissance Vox was on sale for only $29, that 8G of RAM wasn't enough for a DAW, and that an SSD was mandatory if they were really serious.

Because I guess, everybody needs to load humongous sample libraries, everybody mixes large band album projects that go up over 24 tracks with multiple overdubs, and you'll never really get the results you're after using the FX that come with a DAW.

Meanwhile, there are all kinds of different things that people do (and in the case of Cakewalk, the FX that come with it are of excellent quality). I know lots of people who do acoustic music that never go above about 12 tracks, never use a single VSTi. Friends who do punk and indie derived music don't usually go near VSTi's either. Some friends, it's all in-the-box electronic, and they never touch a mic except to record vocals. None of these people load orchestral or percussion sample libraries.

For these types of users, a system with 4G RAM and a 5400RPM hard drive will run Cakewalk just fine, and I know this because  I have done it. To declare otherwise is merely to display ignorance of a wider variety of uses than one is used to oneself.

To say that 16G of RAM and an SSD are the absolute minimum for a DAW computer is like saying that electric cars are useless because they can't go more than 300 miles on a single charge. In other words, all it does is expose the person saying it as having their head up their ass. They can't imagine someone using the tool other than for what they use it for.

"Silly man, you can't run a DAW with only 4G of RAM, how will you ever load Miroslav? And that 5400RPM drive will never keep up when you try to record a 20pc. drum kit at 2mS latency!"

And while I'm in rant mode, the Sonitus fx:Compressor has some pretty slick controls, although I don't use it myself. When it comes to advice, my best respect goes to those who tell the OP how to get there with what they have available, less so to those who tell them to go buy something (unless Pluginboutique are doing a BOGO iZotope giveaway!).

Hmm, maybe having much respect for the included FX and instruments is part of being CWAF.

49 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

To say that 16G of RAM and an SSD are the absolute minimum for a DAW computer is like saying that electric cars are useless because they can't go more than 300 miles on a single charge.

Exactly!  Everyone knows you actually need 128GB of RAM and a RAID full of SSD's! 😆