VST PLUGIN ISSUE!

Nathan Greenly

Good morning, I use the most up to date free version of bandlab/cakewalk on my 64 bit windows 10 pc.

I use mostly meldaproduction free plugins and some of the free plugins attached w/ cakewalk & use bitbridge as I have no idea how to install the J-BRIDGE and I would really like to avoid paying for it.

every time I save and I reopen a project all the VST plugin effects diminish and it basically puts my vocals back to raw, this happens consistently with chains that I make and everything.. if anyone has an idea of what could be going on here it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help.

JBridge can load 32 and 64bit plug-ins but in most cases there is no advantage to using a bridge when the plug-ins and host are the same bitness.

MeldaProduction have 32/64bit VST2/VST3 versions of all of their plug-ins. There is no reason to use a bridge with them.

• Like 2

Cakewalk is Jbridge aware.

With Jbridge, you simply install it.  When Jbridge is installed , the “Use Jbridge Wrapper” option becomes available in the plugin’s properties.

That being said Meldaproduction plugins come with 64bit versions of all their plugins.  You do not need any bridging software to use Meldaproduction plugins in Cakewalk by Bandlab. Just make sure you install and use the 64bit version.

In fact, on their Web Site, it specifically states the following:

“64-bit plugins can't work in 32-bit hosts even if the operating system is 64-bit. Do NOT use 32-bit plugins in 64-bit hosts. They would have to be bridged and can become slow and unstable”

On 2/11/2021 at 6:27 PM, Nathan Greenly said:

every time I save and I reopen a project all the VST plugin effects diminish and it basically puts my vocals back to raw, this happens consistently with chains that I make and everything.. if anyone has an idea of what could be going on here it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help.

This needs a bit more explanation. (Unless it was something to do with using 32-bit plugins/bitbridge.)

• Like 1

JBridge can be useful for 64 bit plugins if there's a compatibility problem between CbB and the plugin, or the plugin is unstable and has a habit of crashing the host.

For example, the UJAM virtual guitarist seems to produce clicks & pops even with an ASIO buffer of 1024. The plugins are obviously doing something it shouldn't be doing with one of Cakewalk's threads.

Wrapping in it JBridge solves the issue - I can comfortably run them with a buffer of 64, or 32 in a small project.

For plugins that have a habit of crashing CbB, JBridge can sometimes help. JBridge may access the plugin in a slightly different way, which may mitigate the issue. And even if it doesn't, at least it will only crash that JBridge process and not CbB itself.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

JBridge can be useful for 64 bit plugins if there's a compatibility problem between CbB and the plugin, or the plugin is unstable and has a habit of crashing the host.

I have to agree here. 

I think this solved an issue I was having with SONiVOX Big Bang Cinematic drums crashing in CbB (this is a known issue is SONiVOX not an issue with CbB). 

Wrapped SONiVOX Cinematic drums in JBridge, crashes went away.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:43 PM, Promidi said:

I have to agree here. 

I think this solved an issue I was having with SONiVOX Big Bang Cinematic drums crashing in CbB (this is a known issue is SONiVOX not an issue with CbB). 

Wrapped SONiVOX Cinematic drums in JBridge, crashes went away.

no crashes is happening. just the plugins aren't working at all.

SO BASICALLY TO RE-EXPLAIN BUT IN MORE CONTEXT!

I work hours on hours to get a good sound with the autotune,reverbs & other effects. I save it because I would like to come back to it another time and I close the project itself and when I reopen the project the autotune doesn't work, and the half the reverbs aren't in the vocals as well, taking my vocals and basically turning them raw when they have the effects saved and everything. just a real pain in the *****. my issue was never the bridging so i have no idea why everyone referred to that I was just saying that I would like to avoid paying for it and that I use bitbridge because there was other forums saying the bridging was the issue.

1 hour ago, Nathan Greenly said:

I work hours on hours to get a good sound with the autotune,reverbs & other effects. I save it because I would like to come back to it another time and I close the project itself and when I reopen the project the autotune doesn't work, and the half the reverbs aren't in the vocals as well, taking my vocals and basically turning them raw when they have the effects saved and everything. just a real pain in the *****. my issue was never the bridging so i have no idea why everyone referred to that I was just saying that I would like to avoid paying for it and that I use bitbridge because there was other forums saying the bridging was the issue.

Can you clarify:

1. Are you using bitbridge with Melda Plugins?
2. Are you referring to Antares Autotune, and in which case are you using 64 bit or 32 bit  and VST3 or VST2 ?

There is no reason to use bitbridge for Melda plugins. Melda does 64 bit versions of all their plugins, so you should be using them.

With regards to Antares Autotune, you should the VST2 version as there are known issues with all Antares VST3 plugins.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, Nathan Greenly said:

I work hours on hours to get a good sound with the autotune,reverbs & other effects.

Don't we all? :)

On 4/4/2021 at 2:01 PM, Nathan Greenly said:

I save it because I would like to come back to it another time and I close the project itself and when I reopen the project the autotune doesn't work, and the half the reverbs aren't in the vocals as well, taking my vocals and basically turning them raw when they have the effects saved and everything. just a real pain in the *****. my issue was never the bridging so i have no idea why everyone referred to that I was just saying that I would like to avoid paying for it and that I use bitbridge because there was other forums saying the bridging was the issue.

If the plugin look loaded and active and the FX bin is active, it's quite odd and it points to something fundamentally wrong with your computer/setup or the project is corrupted. If they look grayed, then they aren't loaded and there's a number of reasons for which that may happen on your system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, Nathan Greenly said:

@Nathan Greenly Use 64bit VST plugins and you will eliminate the issues of effects in the FX Bin not recalling your last settings when you reopen your project.  Also, save settings as presets for each plug in/effect.  

If you must use a bitbridge to utilize 32bit VST/VSTi plug ins, as you know by now, Cakewalk has its very own built in and would be a waste for you to purchase one.  

Check to see if the plug ins bitbridge server configuration matches that in the Preferences.  

Go to Preferences->VST Settings->BitBridge Server Config. (Dropdown menu lists 2 servers and Automatic settings).  

(I suggest opening this first before Preferences to see and compare both windows) ....open Utilities menu and select the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, locate the plug in that you are having issue with and highlight it (single click), then you can open the VST Plug-in Properties that gives you a list of options.  You will see BitBridge Server: 0, 1, or 2. See if your server that is set in the Preferences window matches that in your plug in properties window.

Leave the other plug in options as default or else risk causing total plug in failure....but I know how curiosity works and isn’t easy to overcome so just read up on these features first before making changes.  It’s no fun giving oneself a lot of frustration, as it is a tragic waste of ones time from ones life.  

If you want a good free solution to using 32bit VST AND VSTi Instruments inside and outside of Cakewalk, download NanoHost by Tone2.com

It is a really awesome tool that works a lot like a bit bridge except its not constrained to the DAW and it is very stable and a great way to play with older 32bit synths standalone.  It opens any VST plug in that is installed on your computer.