Entertaining new biz

Gswitz

Wait...  There's a solved Rubik's Cube there?  Ok, that might make up for the accordion...

I used to be able to solve a cube in (according to the Guiness Book of World Records attempt I did) an average of 39 seconds over five scrambled cubes (not even close to the fastest at the event though... 😕).  I even used to do alternate solutions like the one below:

RubiksCubeAlternateSolution2a.jpg RubiksCubeAlternateSolution2b.jpg

Front side and back.  You can't spin a solved cube to get these, you actually need to solve the cube this way!  😀

• Like 1

Badass! That's great!

They didn't know who solved it .

Also, a singer i used to record bimonthly for 6 years or so came in with her new band while i was there.

Gonna make a tape of them soon, i hope. She's friends with the owner i learned.

37 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

Also, a singer i used to record bimonthly for 6 years or so came in with her new band while i was there.

Gonna make a tape of them soon, i hope. She's friends with the owner i learned.

Always good to be nice to those types!  😀

What did you think of the place Geoff? The "sound-proof" on the rehearsal pods is a bit hard to believe.

I am so remote that the closest thing that used to be around here were open mic nights where a band set up their gear and let anyone who wanted to use it. The guy who ran those got sick about 10 years ago, and another took his place for a while he recovered. Unfortunately when he recovered the closest place he ran them in shut down, so I haven't seen anything remotely similar in years (and nothing to the level of what the OP is promoting). Pat Martino actually stopped by and gifted him a guitar as he was recovering, which was an incredibly nice gesture.

• Like 1

Awesome story.

We have some open mics around here.

I do half my recording in bars but I've never recorded an open Mic. Interesting thought.

This is a straight up warehouse. I'm thinking the practice rooms are enclosed for year round climate control as much as sound-proofing. Virginia gets both hot and cold. The whole thing is 1/16th or less of the whole warehouse.

They sell sodas but aim for beer.

So far, everyone I've seen there is over 45. 

They have a slack channel for subscribers only.

You can't store gear there and i haven't seen the bathroom.

None of that matters to me. It is a nice gathering place where religion and politics won't dirty the water.

I was thinking that it'd be a fun space to reamp tracks super loud... Maybe on a Saturday morning before anyone cares.

There is a nearby bay door that could provide a stage for the parking lot on weekends. Industrial park location means loud is no problem.

The owners are enterprising and adventurous. Everyone I've met has been kind.

I'm signing up at some level.

I'll bet everyone who goes also owns a home, but should be a nice crowd to be a member of.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

Sounds like they are off to a good start. The social aspect and getting others involved is the biggest win if the owners can achieve that. Sadly, younger people tend to think of "social" as "online media" rather than "interacting with a person face-to-face," so the 45+ doesn't surprise me too much. Playing instruments seems to also be slipping away, so hopefully they will be able to chip away at both of those issues. The biggest hurdle is getting folks involved in what is going on, so the "everyone I've met has been kind" is a huge plus. Kids will tend to be shy but want to participate, so it takes people doing things with them to get them involved (karaoke tends to be simpler for them). Even with open mic nights here, a lot of the fun was people wanting to sing certain songs and the players doing the best ad-hoc renditions they could.

[Aside since I mentioned karaoke] Karoke bars are actually a business model in China, and they are laid out so that each group gets an isolated room to eat/drink with its own system. I have never seen anything like that in the US yet, but is an idea for folks who really want to participate but really get stage fright too. There is also the subset of people who do not have gear at home, so the only time they can participate is in a place that allows them to touch gear (you see them in GC and the like, but GC isn't overly social for this).

If they keep focusing on social and participation in a laid-back environment, word of mouth should kick in pretty nicely for them going forward. Things that fell apart around this area were when "laid-back" disappeared... it is amazing how people back out of social events when "not fun" enters the picture (yet this seems to surprise those who made it not fun in the first place for some reason).

• Like 1