Behringer interfaces and Asio4All with CbB

winkpain

Question

There seem to be many posts here mentioning the desirability (or un-) of either of these subjects.

The Behringer interfaces offer a hard to ignore economical option for an additional interface for whatever reason, especially in the more than 2 inputs range. I started looking into them and was surprised to find that Behringer does not provide native ASIO drivers for their interfaces and instead "provides" Asio4All drivers! I took this is a bad sign and a reason to avoid. 

But so often here I've seen the Behringer interfaces being trumpeted as a great option, I'm wondering what the actual experiences have been on this drivers front.

Please assume a desire for live input with monitoring, overdubbing, etc. I don't want to use Asio4All for the reasons discussed elsewhere, and I consider not using ASIO drivers to be a downgrade and only acceptable when mobile recording (with laptop on-board audio) and/or not dependent on live overdubbing, etc.  Is this still the right attitude to have?

Opinions and experience are welcome...

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, winkpain said:

I started looking into them and was surprised to find that Behringer does not provide native ASIO drivers for their interfaces and instead "provides" Asio4All drivers!

No, that’s not correct. Their budget options UM2 and UM22 for very cost conscious users do indeed only offer ASIO4All drivers, but all their slightly more expensive options, such as the UMC204HD and UMC404HD, have native ASIO drivers. Just have a look at their download page under Product Group Audio Interfaces.

https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

Edited by Canopus

32 minutes ago, Canopus said:

No, that’s not correct. Their budget options UM2 and UM22 for very cost conscious users do indeed only offer ASIO4All drivers, but all their slightly more expensive options, such as the UMC204HD and UMC404HD, have native ASIO drivers. Just have a look at their download page under Product Group Audio Interfaces.

https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

Thank you. Yes, I am looking at their UMC404HD.

So their "UMC Driver 4.59.0" is a native ASIO driver?  There is no indication of this, and the only mention of ASIO on their site that I can find is for the ASIO4All driver, which is all over the place there.

I'm happy to believe you, tho. You have one of these devices, @Canopus ?

My son has a Behringer UMC202HD he uses for his DJ stuff. I borrowed it to test on my laptop as my Focusrite was playing up and I was extremely impressed with it.

A very solid little unit that sounded every bit as good as my Focusrite 2i4 Gen 1.

I also had a Behringer GMX110 practice amp for a few years and it was a grand bit of kit.

Andy

Yes, I have both a UMC204HD and a UMC404HD. And just to convince you I'm not mistaken, here's an image just fetched from my UMC Control Panel:

JrYAnkP.png

There's another thread in this forum from March last year relating to Behringer's UMC interfaces with some testimonies that you might like to have a look at:

• Thanks 1