Cutoff date for old forum?

Musicianaire

Is there an actual date when the old forums will go dark?  I need to know, because that will determine my next move over there.  Yes, this is a purely selfish and ego stroking concern, but it's valid in my eyes only.  So if anyone can shed light on the coming darkness, please share.  I won't sleep until I know. ...or 11pm, whichever comes first.

• Haha 1

Will the old forum go away?

In a couple of weeks' time, the old forum will become read-only, at which point you will no longer be able to post. However, we feel (and have taken your recommendations) that it remains a vital resource for the long term and we intend to keep it hosted and to remain in its current place at https://forum.cakewalk.com.

This is the only information we have about that topic afaik. But to me that is enough, it will be open a couple of weeks for new posts and then read only for what I interpret as forever-ish. Or however long forever means these days.:) No exact dates but then again what difference would knowing that make really? 

Jesse original post says:

On 12/21/2018 at 4:27 PM, Jesse Jost said:

In a couple week’s time relative to this post's timestamp, the old forum will become read-only, at which point members will no longer be able to post. However, it will remain in place as a vital information resource, which has proved valuable to the community over the years.

So that would imply 4:27 PM (EST) on Jan 4th.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

This is the only information we have about that topic afaik. But to me that is enough, it will be open a couple of weeks for new posts and then read only for what I interpret as forever-ish. Or however long forever means these days.:) No exact dates but then again what difference would knowing that make really? 

As mentioned in my first post, it's purely selfish/ego-centric, lol.  I want to leave the place with 1000 posts.  I'm only a little above 800 right now, so knowing a date would allow me to pace myself (or not) to reach 1000.  It's a '14-year old trapped in a 58-year old body' thing.

Every forum I've seen shut down over years, I've made sure to leave behind an even number in the 1000s (1k, 2k, 5k, etc.), no less, no more (unless it was a sudden closure and I had no choice).  So yeah, let it go?  Really?  This is one of the opportunities to continue my legacy!  I shall not be stopped!

Edited by Musicianaire

I've made my last post there, leaving it at 840 posts.  I just don't have time or gumption or even the words to make enough posts that actually have value.  I'd be spamming the place, and that's no way to leave someone's house.  Anywho, it's all good.  It was a good run; a short one for me - only since 2015.  Glad to HERE.  Glad that Bandlab picked up the hammer and saw. Cakewalk must live on.

Edited by Musicianaire
left out a word that really needed to be there

This may not be the place to post this, but I just can't get into the new forum.   Its not that I can't handle "change".   I've done that all my working career having been in computer maintenance and support and "change" is one thing that we constantly had.   If it wasn't different hardware, it was software or procedures.  Just seems to be too many sections.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:06 PM, Jack Stoner said:

This may not be the place to post this, but I just can't get into the new forum.   Its not that I can't handle "change".   I've done that all my working career having been in computer maintenance and support and "change" is one thing that we constantly had.   If it wasn't different hardware, it was software or procedures.  Just seems to be too many sections.

I just bookmark the Deals forum and its Coffee House mother.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, Jack Stoner said:

This may not be the place to post this, but I just can't get into the new forum.

I like it better in some ways. Everything loads faster, posting YT videos is a breeze, and if you want to quote just a sentence or phrase from a previous poster, just drag your cursor to highlight it and you get a pop-up message asking if you want to use it as a quote in your message. Real quick and simple now.

About the only things I don't like is that we need most, if not all, of the sections from the old forum, and not as "sub" sections. I hate it when I'm on the main screen and see that there's a new post in the coffeehouse by a friend, so I go to check it out only to find that his post is not in the coffeehouse at all but is instead in the Deals forum, which is one of the forums at the old place I never had any use for. A lot of guys seem to like that forum though, so I think they should at least bring back the Deals, Hardware, Computer, and Techniques forums and not as subs. I don't care one way or another about any other forums.

One other thing I don't like is that whenever you hit the enter button it makes a new paragraph instead of a new line break. If I'm making a list of items, I don't want extra spaces between each line, so I'd rather just hit the enter button twice to make a paragraph like we used to do.

36 minutes ago, Will said:

One other thing I don't like is that whenever you hit the enter button it makes a new paragraph instead of a new line break. If I'm making a list of items, I don't want extra spaces between each line, so I'd rather just hit the enter button twice to make a paragraph like we used to do.

[Shift] + [Enter] to make a new line break.

• Like 1