UI Font?

Matthew White

I don’t think that info has ever been made public. I'm using Arial Regular 10.6 points with 25% kerning which is pretty, pretty close and so far good enough for my needs, but if your requirements are very high (e.g. putting your own text over some existing text and you need an absolute perfect match) that might not be good enough.

Edited by Canopus
  • Thanks 1

Tahoma, Arial, MS San Serif, & Times New Roman

FWIW paint programs will never display fonts the same as an application does. If you need "exact", grab a screen shot and photoshop the text. Then copy&paste where you want it to go.

Edited by sjoens
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sjoens said:

Tahoma, Arial, MS San Serif, & Times New Roman

FWIW paint programs will never display fonts the same as an application does. If you need "exact", grab a screen shot and photoshop the text. Then copy&paste where you want it to go.

depends on the paint program.... fwiw, paint,net - a freebie updated version of paint -handles fonts well, as of course do gimp and photoshop

• Like 1

Painted fonts are hard to get spacing and letter width "exact" with app fonts of same face & point size.

For fun, type a letter in Photoshop. Then keep typing that same letter several times. The 1st 3 or 4 letters will be displayed slightly different. If you keep typing the letter it will repeat those variations.

If you grab a screen shot of some text item in CbB/Sonar and zoom in you'll see multi colored pixels, not so with painted text.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

When a vector based font is rendered into a bitmap in a program like Photoshop, it normally uses anti-aliasing to make the contours smooth. Thus when the text blends with the background there’s more or less “smear” around it. Unless not only all the font attributes (size, weight, slant, spacing etc.) are identical with the Cakewalk original, but also text and background colours and perhaps most importantly rendering algorithm, there will be differences.

In Photoshop CS6 (which is what I use) there are five different text rendering options which can be found at the bottom of the Font panel: None, Sharp, Crisp, Strong and Smooth. I think that newer Photoshop releases have a couple more. Depending on font attributes, the selected algorithm may have a huge impact on the rendered result.

With all these different parameters I would say that it’s practically impossible to create text in a theme that matches Mercury and/or Tungsten perfectly. Unless, of course, BandLab would publish a theme font manual. But I can't really see that happen in the foreseeable future...

• Like 1

Thanks for the insights peeps! I'm doing a theme with buttons inspired by the Gran Vista Theme (excellent theme by the way @Canopus) where it starts lighter and goes a shade darker each step down then the sudden drop to darker shades about half way down but I've chosen shades to overall give it a rubbery / leathery  look, anyway, with the lighter shades at the top and darker at the bottom painting around the original (Mercury) text left some necessary parts of the text at the top of some buttons too dark for the background and I was unsuccessful re-painting those parts, just couldn't get them to look right but filled them in then used Arial which appears to be the best match, or at least for the one's I was having trouble with. Cheers!

Edited by Matthew White
Brainfart Typo