Cakewalk Expansion Packs & GPO

sjoens

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

Were the Expansion Packs part of Garritan's sounds?

Other way round.

The expansion pack appear to use some of the bundled GPO data.

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

To me the GPO - Flute V Legato sample sounds identical to the Expansion Pack 1 - RGC Flute in The Venue minus a little reverb?

Notice both programs use the same sfz file.

I'd be surprised if we do. honestly, the sounds in v.5 are no better than v.4. In some cases I prefer the v.4 sounds. About the only thing I got with v.5 was Garritan Orchestral Strings, which once in a blue moon I might use.

The Pocket Orchestra sounds that are bundled with Dim Pro are even older, but they sound better. And you can shape them nicely. My harp - the only one I use - is the one in Pocket. It sounds great and is louder and has more presence.

Dim Pro also has a nice string library. I forget what it is based on ,something with the word "Saint" in it I seem to recall. I occasionally use some of them as well.

Edited by mdiemer

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

I know the GPO sounds are not the best but I always thought his idea of building the orchestra instrument by instrument was great for educational purposes.  I learnt a lot by experimenting with it.  

I never attempted that. Doing the normal stuff you do with a DAW is tedious enough! Although I'm sure the results would be much better. The problem with string patches is that they are a bunch of say, violins playing, and of course not in agreement 100% with each other. that's how it is in real life, too. In actual performances, high strings are often screechy. Only massaging the sounds with EQ or other FX will alleviate that, but many feel that destroy's the authenticity. So you have to accept that strings will be a problem in your midi projects. I have yet to hear a string library where you don't have to spend a lot of time on the high strings, to make them clear while minimizing the screechiness. 

@mdiemer   I had a college text book from quite a few years ago, MIDI Orchestration I believe it was called, and went through building it up. You are right it was tedious but I did a few mock ups using some old church type music.  It was actually fun slowly working on it. Now in my old age I don't if i have the patience anymore :D