Random chirps with new build

Terry Kelley

Has anyone else noticed random chirps in the audio? I am getting them both during playback in CW but also in mixdowns/exports. Maybe once every 2-3 minutes.

I am playing with my core number and idle but nothing seems to help. I am not saying it's the latest build (27.01.0.098) but it seem to have showed up around then. It's doing it in files that before never had an issue. They just show up here and there.

Edited by Terry Kelley

5 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

None of my plugins are demo but that is something for me to remember. I know Melda does static.

The sound is like when you edit a wave poorly and there is a short spike where they join. But it happens in random places.

Do you use an Audio Interface? 

Remove Asio4All if you have a Interface. Go on the interfave website and download the latest drivers.

Also check your buffer settings in preferences. 

I have a Presonus with the latest ASIO drivers. Their web site did suggest it can be caused by cores going into idle and not waking up properly so I disabled idle but it didn't change. I also turned off multi-core/thread in Cakewalk and still got the chirps. Buffers big or small don't appear to affect it. Cores temps are fine. The machine is an i7 4970 with 16GB of ram and SDD. It's not wanting for speed.

It's hard to test because it might happen once in 10 minutes or to three times  in three minutes or not at all for hours.. If I am playing a song in Cakewalk, it randomly moves around. In a wave export, it might happen once in the mixdown.. I think I will disable everything (cores, multi-processing, wifi/lan) and see if it goes away. Then add things back in.

Something has changed and I need to figure it out. It's possible it's some Windows update but I have to look at everything. None of my wave programs do it, only Cakewalk. I doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing it.

18 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Has anyone else noticed random chirps in the audio? I am getting them both during playback in CW but also in mixdowns/exports. Maybe once every 2-3 minutes.

If you play the exported files on a different system is this still happening?  Do you also hear this when you play other music files?

Might be a hardware issue.   

Open the files in a wave editor and play them and make note of where you hear the click. Zoom in. And if the clicks don't happen in the same place everytime then it's for sure a hardware issue. 

Your Cables including USB.

Your interface. 

Your monitors

Your house wiring- as in your furnace coming on. Any wireless stuff. Example I can hear my hydro meters mirco burst transmission on my clock radio. 

Its a process of elimination.  

Edited by John Vere

No, you can see it in the file. Same place regardless of the system I play them on. If I zoom in, some are discontinuities in the waveform and others are a sharp spike. Also, the internal audio is disabled.

I'm thinking something is interrupting the audio processing. I checked some midi only projects and they appear fine. You have to listen a long time for one to show up.

I do appreciate the suggestions!

Edited by Terry Kelley

OK so that narrows it down when you say this is something that gets Printed to the audio. 

Possibilities are your audio interface drivers acting up. 

Too low a buffer setting. 

Is this on any particular tracks or all of them. Example only tracks recorded via your interface, only tracks recorded with input one etc. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, Terry Kelley said:

i don't think it's the interface drivers unless they are somehow involved in mixdowns. I am not sure why they would but hey I didn't invent this! :)

But I did an update of the drivers (only one revision behind) and no change.

I have had (actually have) the exact same issue as you Terry. Which is annoying since it has evolved recently and sporcadically during the past two years. Powerful computer. RME UCX interface with the latest drivers. CPU only sweats around 20% for 70-80 tracks, 10 buses with some 30-40 plugins, and NOT a buffer issue (never has been). The exported (!) file tends to have one or two chirp regardless of dither settings, exporting in realtime, having largest possible bounce buffer size and so on. I mostly think it's could be due to some plugin, but all are green lighted. Suggestions from others tells me it could also be ghost automation lanes (or active ones) with lots of movement. Very annoying since not an issue with, for example, REAPER.

Edited by Rick Lang
  • Like 1

Hi Rick,

Yes, I still have it. I have nailed down the track that will do it, but I can't figure out why it does it. It appears to be related to how CW brings in an audio file to start it playing. The chirps occur at the start of the clip. Fading in through automation, removing FX/PDC, chaning buffer sizes, resizing the clip to get past the chirp, editing the start for a confirmed zero crossing start -  nothing stops it.  Wi-fi off, BT off, LAN off, different interface, changing driver revisions, restarting CW,  restarting computer, no other programs running - well turning off the computer does ...

But the perplexing part is that I can  sit there with the space-bar and start the track over and over and sometimes it doesn't chirp. Why not? If it was some issue with the wave, then it should happen all of the time. I also notice the chirp position can drift around a bit (under 100mS window from what I tell) and not happen at exactly the same time.

I've been watching to see if it starts as the song gets more complicated (more tracks, more effects.) Anecdotally, it does "appear" that way. At some point, here comes the chirp. My work around is to mix down multiple time and hope I get one without the chip. 1 in 10 times, it will be clean (or unnoticeable.)

And I have too transferred to Reaper and it doesn't chirp but I can't say I have totally reproduced the environment in Reaper exactly like CW.

Weird.