How to use an expression pedal in Cakewalk

Ale

Hi guys! 

I looked around but couldnt find any other topic about this, if somebody knows about it please link it below!

I'm head over heels with the new Archetype Gojira plug in and after seeing Ola's video about it I even bought an expression pedal just to play Silvera.
So basically I dont know how to connect it and use it inside Cakewalk with this plug in and in particular to be used with the pitch shifter pedal (inside said plug in). 
I'm using a Focusrite 2i2.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

It might depend on what kind of expression pedal you have. Most expression pedals are just a changing resistance and so you have to plug it into something that can interpret the resistance into a value. Multi-effects units usually have an expression pedal input. To get it into the computer to control a VST or other software you would need either a midi expression pedal, or a device into which you plug the expression pedal and then it converts the values into midi that could be used inside your PC.

Oh damn I see, makes total sense. I feel stupid for not checking this before hand.
I'll see now if its more convenient to buy an adapter or give back my expression pedal and get a midi one.

Thanks a lot for explaining!

No need to feel stupid. This may change in the future when everyone's implanted with knowledge chips at birth, but AFAIK nobody is born with an understanding of either expression pedals or MIDI.

You can buy an inexpensive adaptor that converts the variable resistance in your pedal to MIDI data. Works for any resistance-based or switch-based analog pedal. You'd then be able to keep the pedal you've already paid for.

For just a little more money you could get yourself a cheap synthesizer/MIDI controller that has an analog input for an expression pedal. That would open up even more possibilities for data input, even if you're not a keyboard player. You could, for example, pound out drum beats with your fingers. And of course, use the expression controller without the need of an adaptor.