Audio Getting Saved In Project Template .cwt

Geoff Merson

Question

I have a project that I'm happy with, so I've decided to save it as a Project Template, using the 'Save As' function. In this case, Save As 'Template'.

When I open a New Project, and select the Template that I saved, all the Audio Data from the project I used to create the Template from, is still there. It was saved as Template with the .cwt suffix added, and saved to my Project Templates folder location. I repeated this a few times, to make sure that I had correctly followed the procedure, and as far as I can tell, I have.

Any clues as to what's going on?

8 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

I would delete the audio from the template project and then save as.

Thanks, that is an option. It's supposed to not save any data, other than the template itself, which means all the markers, time signature changes (that seem to persist for some reason), Project End etc etc. will be loaded as well.

For now, I'll save Track templates and put them together and then save a Project Template from that.

Thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, Geoff Merson said:

It's supposed to not save any data, other than the template 

Project template save much more than the track layout. From http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Templates_KeyBindings.2.html#1105448

As a rule, any parameter that is saved in a project file is also saved in a template file. Following are some useful parameters that are saved in template files:

• Track configuration and track parameters
  • Timebase
  • Sysx banks
  • File information and comments
  • Tempo settings
  • Meter and key settings
  • Clock and synchronization information
  • MIDI data
  • MIDI In/Out/Thru settings
  • MIDI metronome settings
  • Selection start and end times
  • Record mode and punch-in times
  • Drum maps
  • Audio data
  • Automation

As mentioned above, wipe the tracks before saving the template.

19 hours ago, scook said:

Project template save much more than the track layout. From http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Templates_KeyBindings.2.html#1105448

As mentioned above, wipe the tracks before saving the template.

According to this video, no audio is saved with the Template, and it wasn't in this case. I'm confused.

Edited by Geoff Merson

Notice: in the video the template was not saved and opened in real time instead; the presenter opened a template they created earlier.

The video is wrong when it comes to what is saved in a template.

Feel free to let the video creator know about your discovery.

2 hours ago, scook said:

Notice: in the video the template was not saved and opened in real time instead; the presenter opened a template they created earlier.

The video is wrong when it comes to what is saved in a template.

Feel free to let the video creator know about your discovery.

Thanks Scook. You saved me more head scratching.