Edit: Easily Accessible Filter Groups/Folders In Inspector Panel w/ Solo Visibility Functionalities(Useful In Large Projects/Track View)

Hello guys. I would like to propose a feature that would allow the user to filter groups/folders in track view mode using an outliner. I am aware that there is a similar feature available in the console view but it would also be nice to have it in the track view. The inspector panel would be very useful to place the outliner/filter, make it more easily accessible to quickly filter any folders that are not needed in some cases.

Here is a mockup for the track view filter/outliner(Left panel):

1.) User enable GUITARS group & KEYS group : Only the guitars and keys folder groups would be displayed in the track view.

Untitled4.thumb.png.f9004e59d646d0e47e433d7131fa876e.png

2.) Guitars only

Untitled5.thumb.png.0f15d995438e4d55e7a1b81d66af1c44.png

Thanks Cakewalk Dev Team.

Edited by John Paul Anthony Dela Cruz

I think maybe can be added functionality to existing track manager : ) I don't like track manager in inspector view how it in Studio one i like How its in Cakewalk with pressig key H  and it's independent

Edited by solarlux
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

You can already show and hide whichever Folders you want just by bringing up the Track Manager ( shortcut H ) 

image.thumb.png.c413ef006d8a248f888f29f8005b8638.png

3 hours ago, solarlux said:

Yeah and search and filter funcionality can be added here in track manager.

I see. I forgot that is possible but it would be nice to have it easily available in the inspector panel. 

One advantage in having it quickly accesible in the panel is to have it like a live browser for the project where you can just quickly enable a solo functionality to one folder just by clicking one group & the track view will instantly translate the changes made.

At least there is a track manager already, I might make a new proposal that focuses more on the advantages of having a live file outliner/browser similar to what 3d modelling softwares use. This could make the workflow more easier and faster.

6 hours ago, solarlux said:

I think maybe can be added functionality to existing track manager : ) I don't like track manager in inspector view how it in Studio one i like How its in Cakewalk with pressig key H  and it's independent

This could be added as an optional feature and can be placed similar to the properties panel. 

image.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Paul Anthony Dela Cruz said:

One advantage in having it quickly accesible in the panel is to have it like a live browser for the project where you can just quickly enable a solo functionality to one folder just by clicking one group & the track view will instantly translate the changes made.

Everybody's workflow is different, personally I think it's actually quicker to hit the "H" shortcut than going over to the Inspector and finding it in there.

If you want to solo a folder you can already do that in the standard view

image.thumb.png.0f40bb5afc870c5f58280f992f36d91c.png

And quickly hide all the other folders if you prefer..

image.thumb.png.fb8243f0609e14b56e688f99c722e59e.png

Personally I wouldn't want the extra bloat in the Inspector for something that already works pretty well

Maybe there is a better way ? Maybe you could have a new SOLO MODE ?

i.e It could be an extension of the " Exclusive Solo " Button ....so if you right clicked there would a tick box option to say something like 

" Auto Hide Tracks On Exclusive Solo "

And when activated only the exclusively solo'd track / folder / buss would be visible  ( and audible ) ..that seems more streamlined and logical to me without taking up extra space in the GUI or forcing on those that wouldn't work that way.  

• Like 1

I get your point, that is why it is just an optional feature that could just be place similar to the properties panel.

Regarding the SOLO mode, it is not the same with the track solo but it is specifically for visibility in the track view. When you solo a group only the group would be visible in the track view. Very helpful in large projects.

45 minutes ago, John Paul Anthony Dela Cruz said:

When you solo a group only the group would be visible in the track view. Very helpful in large projects.

Yes helpful for you maybe... like I said we all have different workflows.  I have some very large sessions and make a lot of music but I have never once thought Sonar or CW was needing anything extra for this.

I would much rather they added sub folders to the folder view, this would help me out way more