stop at project end...

Lombardi

I have a project that I've been working on for a couple of months which used to stop at the end of the project.  For some reason that I can't determine it no longer does and keeps playing ad infinitum unless I hit the spacebar.  All other projects work as normal.   I have unchecked and rechecked the "stop at project end" box in options and searched for any midi or audio data for hundreds of bars in the track view with no luck.  Not a deal breaker for sure, but annoying.  Any suggestions? 

In cakewalk the end is determined by the last event, node, clip etc. in the track view. Check automation for nodes past where you want the end. You can also try to select a bunch of time past the end of the project in the timeline and then select all tracks, while keeping the time selection, and hit delete. Check the event viewer as well for Midi or other notes past the end.

Sometimes I've found that this kind of problem happens when there were some  drums bars that I deleted. In fact the project stopped where the deleted drums part ended.

In these cases instead of the deleted drums bars it was possible to see a void dark grey strip long up to the end of deleted bars.

It is sufficient that with  the smart tool you push the dark grey strip until the point that you want that your project ends.

Actually, I spoke too soon.  The problem still exists.  I chose the wrong project! Duh!!!  Anyhow, I tried all the suggestions above on the guilty file, and still it does not stop at the end of the project.  I took it a step further and selected all the tracks in the song, copied and pasted them to a new project and the song stopped as it should at the end of the project.  So if there were some unseen events, nodes or whatever, wouldn't they be all copied into the new project?  Again, not a show stopper, but baffling.  What am I missing?

You may want to also review this earlier thread. Answer seems to be that there is no way to "force" a project end marker into a project. A couple of workarounds have been used but when a project doesn't end and keeps going ad infinitum, Cakewalk needs to develop an "Insert Project End" marker.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/25072-audio-tracks-not-stopping-at-project-end/

i've found on some projects, my automation envelope was the issue - it was changed to a solid instead of the dashed (skip) line, so it went on forever. changing it to skip (dashed line) made it stop since the envelope was just a bit longer than the audio (by design - lets reverb and delays settle out).

Yes, I have tried unchecking and re-checking the stop at project end in the tracks/options menu numerous times with no change.  Also this project has no automation envelopes.  I have been looking for a something within Cakewalk to insert to create an endpoint, but evidently that does not exist.  It seems to me  that the ability to insert an endpoint would be a worthwhile feature. 

Hit ctrl + end

This will tell you where cakewalk thinks the project ends. That's a clue

If you select from where you want it to end and the Cakewalk end point you should be able to "Delete Hole" like you did in the other project

Failing that, you can use Ripple Editing to delete the empty space

There is ALWAYS something "out there"

Automation Nodes

Hidden/Archived Tracks

Ditto for Busses

Meter/Key changes

Tempo changes

CC Events

Bristol, I think you misunderstand the problem.  There already is an endpoint which should be where the project should end.  It does not.  All attempts to select the space beyond that point and delete the hole, are unsuccessful, as no data of any kind is revealed in any view.  Yet the project will play on in silence ad infinitum.

21 hours ago, Lombardi said:

Bristol, I think you misunderstand the problem.  There already is an endpoint which should be where the project should end.  It does not.  All attempts to select the space beyond that point and delete the hole, are unsuccessful, as no data of any kind is revealed in any view.  Yet the project will play on in silence ad infinitum.

Yes, your last sentence is the real issue, "The project will play on in silence ad infinitum." There is nothing beyond the actual project endpoint. The only recourse is you have to be at the monitor to hit the spacebar to stop Cakewalk from playing on. As mentioned by several commentors, a lack of being able to insert an "Endpoint" is a true nuisance problem, and hopefully Cakewalk tech folks will figure out a simple way to include it on a future release.

Just now, Charles Czerny said:

Yes, your last sentence is the real issue, "The project will play on in silence ad infinitum." 

Of course, this is unprovable but it may play for a very long time.

I have seen one report involving projects built using a corrupted template having a similar problem. Both regular delete and ripple edit (make sure to try this and set it to edit all tracks) failed to remove the data causing play past project "end". Starting with a freshly built project template addressed this user's issue.

There may be other causes but aside from project data far down the timeline and a corrupted template (or project?)  I am unware of any.

Is there a way to either create a new template or for that matter, select a basic template, and import all the channel settings, plugins and vsti settings, etc...?  As I mentioned earlier, I did open a basic new template and copy and pasted all the tracks into the new project and the project did end as normal.  However all the channel settings,  vst assignments, synth view and so on, were lost.  The time it would take to go in and reassign every channel is not worth it.  I'll just hit the spacebar to stop...

My project did this. I found it was my automation lanes that went out beyond the song end. I am not sure how I did this. And I found it quite hard to trim or delete the extra bits. Click the "Transport" so start/stop/record etc windows pops up. Under the record button, there is a "go to the end" button (its a button that has a right pointing arrow & then vertical line). This will take you to where your project thinks the end it. You will find there is something between the end of the song & this point. Individually delete bits or set left & right markers & delete the whole section. Click "delete special" & select all options. If you have an "end" marker, that will get deleted too. And I found I had to do this to get it to work. Then just add that marker back in. This fixed my problem. But 1) I don't know how I did it in the first place (I'll put it down to user error), & 2) I found I couldn't "split" an automation lane, & 3) even when I delete nodes, there was still an ongoing dotted line where they used to be.

Ok, just to be clear, the endpoint that the transport or ctrl+end gives, is the actual end of the song.  That's where the now time ends up when the ctrl+end is selected.  I have checked and there are no automation lanes, no midi events or data that shows in any view beyond that point.  I have edited normally or ripple edited, deleting all and the hole from that point to 10's of thousands of bars beyond that point with no difference.   My guess is that somehow the template of this song has been corrupted in some way.