Pink Floyd!!!

garybrun

Good that there is different music for different people.

The guitar lines Gilmour is playing( very melodic and bluesy )in many songs is awesome-,his and the sound cosmos  

of Pink Floyd were unique for the 70th.

Apropo sound:

Queen once rented a quarter of the equipment from PF and played with that PA aso in the Wembley stadion in front of 80000 people.

Pink Floyd sure have not been one the fastests band ever, but it´s all about sound-

to not have  them seen playing live is an  education gap.😀 

Cheers , a PF fanboy.

6 hours ago, garybrun said:

This is going to cause a few discussions....  but!!!!!!

I am 57 years old and have just listened to Pink Floyd for the first time  ( I have heard another Brick In The wall before as a kid)
But seriously... can someone please explain to me the hype....  I dont get it!!

You don't have to like them.

But it also sounds like you only listened to a single album of one of the most respected bands that constantly changed their sound (but always soudned like PF).  I'd suggest listening to the entire catalog and then come back posing a different question.

Since everyone else in the world bought their albums, listened to them over and over again, your OP just sounds like trolling.  If you can't appreicate or connect with the music they created on an emotional level (Comfortably Numb one of the most iconic guitar solos of all time as an example) then they just are not for you.  But I also can't imagine hearing their catalog of music and not finding something in it that speaks to you as a human emotionally on some level.  It doesn't all sound like DSOTM or ABITW ptII.  Neither of which do I think is their best work, though I can still appreciate the genius of it.

• Like 2

hey gary

my dad said that all the cool kids listened to this

sometimes, when the adults were upstairs having martinis and smoking pall mall while discussing phillip roth, rights and what not too

the kids snuck downstairs, burnt some incense, and had feelings

Edited by Jesse Screed

But... not about trolling,, I don't troll!!
I really cant be arsed following the crowd...  that's why I asked the question!!
I just don't get it!!  I was hoping for someone to explain it to me!!
The euphoria about the Beetles also I don't get!! 

Music to me   (me talking) has a feeling and experience that you will never forget.
It is an expression that  is a once in a life time thing if you wrote it.
It never existed. until you wrote it!!
No one can make it or reproduce it until you write.
That is the fascination of music to me!

55 minutes ago, garybrun said:

I really cant be arsed following the crowd...  that's why I asked the question!!
I just don't get it!!  I was hoping for someone to explain it to me!!
The euphoria about the Beetles also I don't get!

Music to me   (me talking) has a feeling and experience that you will never forget.
It is an expression that  is a once in a life time thing if you wrote it.
It never existed. until you wrote it!!
No one can make it or reproduce it until you write.
That is the fascination of music to me!

Musically, the Beatles as well as Pink Floyd made some epic songs that everyone recognises  - you don't have to like them, but they did this incredible stuff, songs for eternity so to say. Beside that, they are strongly connected to a very special time in music history, they influenced and evolved modern music, it's childish not to realize what impact these Giants have to modern Music. Sorry for my direct speech.

Edited by mkerl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

Pink Floyd created this for literally millions of people....Talk to one single person that saw them live that doesn't have that show (or shows) as a strong memory.  

Honeslty there is no other band I can think of that I think would encompas that statement better than Pink Floyd.  

They are arguably the greatest combination of Live and Studio band that has ever lived becuase they created those memories and experiences, and they played very well.  They could create an overwhelming emotional expereince.  

People talk about bands like Led Zeppelin, who were also great, but Live they could be just down right bad/sloppy (or great, depending on the night and tour).   I don't think anyone had the magic of both like Pink Floyd.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2

Gary, we don't need no education? Another brick in the wall? That bassline? Those funk guitar riffs and lead? In America it was overplayed almost as much as Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven. . . all of those are hardwired into our old guy DNA!

It's ok Gary, still much respect!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Pink Floyd created this for literally millions of people....Talk to one single person that saw them live that doesn't have that show (or shows) as a strong memory.  

Honeslty there is no other band I can think of that I think would encompas that statement better than Pink Floyd.  

They are arguably the greatest combination of Live and Studio band that has ever lived becuase they created those memories and experiences, and they played very well.  They could create an overwhelming emotional expereince.  

People talk about bands like Led Zeppelin, who were also great, but Live they could be just down right bad/sloppy (or great, depending on the night and tour).   I don't think anyone had the magic of both like Pink Floyd.

This is what Pink Floyd was to me. The first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon, it was like an epiphany. My world up to that point had been mostly mono. To put on the headphones, turn out the lights, and let the music wash over me was an experience like no other.  Not a single drop of acid was consumed or needed. When the guitar screamed out on Time, I knew I had found my musical home. And nothing prepared me for The Great Gig in the Sky.

I am not sure why music affects people in different ways. All I can say is DSOTM is as far from boring to me as can possibly be as any music that touches my soul.

15 hours ago, garybrun said:

This is going to cause a few discussions....  but!!!!!!

I am 57 years old and have just listened to Pink Floyd for the first time  ( I have heard another Brick In The wall before as a kid)
But seriously... can someone please explain to me the hype....  I dont get it!!

90% of everything is bollocks. Without Pink Floyd it would only be 85%.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

The first time I heard Dave Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb off Delicate Sound of Thunder was an epiphany - I'd only ever heard The Wall on the radio when I was young and was always "meh".  But after that, I was a huge fan: I've seen Roger Waters live twice now (pseudo-Floyd) doing The Wall and DSOTM and apart from a couple of his newer songs he dropped in which did not stand the test of time, they were amazing gigs (Dave's place was taken by Lemmy's son!), and been to a very intimate Dave gig (couple of hundred people) where he also told Floyd anecdotes, which was a real experience.  I almost managed to meet him at a work event a few years ago, but missed it due to...work 😞

That said, they do only have one tempo 🙂

27 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

The first time I heard Dave Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb off Delicate Sound of Thunder was an epiphany - I'd only ever heard The Wall on the radio when I was young and was always "meh".  But after that, I was a huge fan: I've seen Roger Waters live twice now (pseudo-Floyd) doing The Wall and DSOTM and apart from a couple of his newer songs he dropped in which did not stand the test of time, they were amazing gigs (Dave's place was taken by Lemmy's son!), and been to a very intimate Dave gig (couple of hundred people) where he also told Floyd anecdotes, which was a real experience.  I almost managed to meet him at a work event a few years ago, but missed it due to...work 😞

That said, they do only have one tempo 🙂

A Delicate Sound of Thunder is one seriously good album (although the use of the Roland JX-8P does kind of date it) - but if there was a "best of" album for Pink Floyd, that would be it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

A Delicate Sound of Thunder is one seriously good album (although the use of the Roland JX-8P does kind of date it) - but if there was a "best of" album for Pink Floyd, that would be it.

OK...  Ill take a listen.
Thanks

They were new, didn't sound like the everyday rock and pop you heard on the radio. Added sound effects that weren't normally used in music. Kinda spacy, trippy. Good musicianship and cryptic lyrics which made a lot of folks wonder what they're singing about, and keep listening.
In the summer of 1973, I was between 10th and 11th grades in high school. I got a summer job so I could buy my own ticket to visit my brother in Raleigh.
One of the first things he did was put DSOTM on, slapped headphones on me and said "listen to this". I was blown away. He went to work and I listened to that LP for hours.
Thanks, Carl.