Pink Floyd!!!

garybrun

This is going to cause a few discussions....  but!!!!!!

I am 57 years old and have just listened to Pink Floyd for the first time  ( I have heard another Brick In The wall before as a kid)
But seriously... can someone please explain to me the hype....  I dont get it!!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

They went through a lot of changes over the years. When they started they were more of a 60's psychedelic band. When their lead singer OD'd on acid and went nuts and left they got more serious. Then came Dark Side Of The Moon and it's the best album, ever. Literally. The Wall is extremely overrated. Mother and Whatever Happened to Vera Lynn (who actually died recently) are my favorite songs on the entire 2 LP set.

That's the entire Pink Floyd story.

2 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

They went through a lot of changes over the years. When they started they were more of a 60's psychedelic band. When their lead singer OD'd on acid and went nuts and left they got more serious. Then came Dark Side Of The Moon and it's the best album, ever. Literally. The Wall is extremely overrated. Mother and Whatever Happened to Vera Lynn (who actually died recently) are my favorite songs on the entire 2 LP set.

That's the entire Pink Floyd story.

I have here the vinyl LP of Dark Side Of the Moon here...  only played by the Mrs  a few times.

This is what I dont understand... what is so special??  I dont get it??
Money with a cash machine ringing out....   I am a musical person...      but dont understand!!

3 minutes ago, garybrun said:

I have here the vinyl LP of Dark Side Of the Moon here...  only played by the Mrs  a few times.

This is what I dont understand... what is so special??  I dont get it??
Money with a cash machine ringing out....   I am a musical person...      but dont understand!!

It was the sound quality and how it flowed I think. And the album cover too. It all just seems to flow like one piece of artwork. It's hard to explain. And back then those sound effects were ahead of their time. Now days it's super easy to do those kind of things with loops and DAW's and samples so it may not seem so revolutionary now. Also it had the F word in it which was kind of unheard of at the time too.

What fascinates me is the story behind the album, but I didn't know any of that until recently. Some of the songs were done as demo's for other projects. The clock chimes were part of another project they were doing. The voices in the background were just random recordings they made of various people around the studio. The woman's voice was just an off the cuff thing. I think that was the first take of her warming up iirc. In other words, the entire album was sort of pieced together and not this big 'concept project' everyone thought it was at the time.

• Like 1

Urban Myth (as yet proven or unproven) is that DSOTM was written to sync to The Wizard of Oz movie.

@garybrun In 20 years or so whatever music floated your boat some young turk will chime in and say the same thing.

I've got 11 years on you as I tuned 68 yesterday, so from The Beatles (they landed in NY on my birthday 1964) on through the '70s all rock music is pretty much king with me.

My son, an accomplished musician, composer and arranger, is 46 and to this day still doesn't 'get' The Beatles. He says "they're ok". I still love him anyway.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

I am 57 years old and have just listened to Pink Floyd for the first time  ( I have heard another Brick In The wall before as a kid)

I had also never properly heard it, so I loaded it up on my mp3 player to take on holiday with me a couple of years ago thinking that I should probably see what all the fuss was about. I never made it past the track with all the clocks in it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Urban Myth (as yet proven or unproven) is that DSOTM was written to sync to The Wizard of Oz movie.

@garybrun In 20 years or so whatever music floated your boat some young turk will chime in and say the same thing.

I've got 11 years on you as I tuned 68 yesterday, so from The Beatles (they landed in NY on my birthday 1964) on through the '70s all rock music is pretty much king with me.

DSOTM - wouldn´t surprise me a lot of it´s true.

A bit late but I hope you had a really great and merry Bapday, oh go on celebrate for at least a week - you deserve it Bapu!

Anywho: My thoughts on explaining old "classics" to people who haven´t heard it or don´t get what´s so great about it is kind of "you had to be there at the time", i.e. put it in perspective of what other music (& in some cases what was going on i society) was around at the time it came out.

When people are talking about 70´s music they´re usually referring to Led Zep Orchestra , Deep Purple, Boney M etc. - what I remember actually hearing on swedish radio though was old folks music, primarily jazz and folk music on fiddle and accordion with maybe 4-5 hours of what was modern music at the time thrown in on late friday nights or saturday afternoon.

Imagine the contrast between slow accordion jazz and Jimi Hendrix´ Fuzzfaced strat and the impact it had on (at the time🙄) tiny me.

I remember seeing on the news that he had died and how cool I thought he looked with the strat, I was a 6 year old runt at the time but he made a lasting impression.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, paulo said:

I had also never properly heard it, so I loaded it up on my mp3 player to take on holiday with me a couple of years ago thinking that I should probably see what all the fuss was about. I never made it past the track with all the clocks in it. 

That's part of the problem. The format. 

I have the Mobile Fidelity 1/2 Speed Master recording of DSOTM as well as The Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed and Queen's A Night At The Opera. MFSL's version of Days Of Future Passed is the best recording I've ever heard. MFSL DSOTM comes in 2nd IMO.

As for the Beatles and younger people, I think they'll come around to them like they did Johnny Cash. He was more popular with young people toward the end of his life than he ever was in the 50's and 60's. Funny how that can go. It's hard to argue with McCartney's $1.2 Billion Dollar catalog of music. He's the richest musician in history. Not a very good bass player though imo.

Add in the proper ingredients whilst listening to any of those 3 albums I mentioned and well, you'll see. I don't partake anymore but I hear it's all pretty much accepted nowadays. That's how I discovered the slowed down then sped up harmony part on side B of Abbey Road. I never heard it then one night ... I was like, what the ____ is that?! Years later I read an article about how they slowed the tape down, McCartney sang along with it, and he sounded super high pitched when played back at normal speed. It's during the 'love you, love you, love you' bit toward the end.  I also saw John Fogerty's head come out of my speakers one night, but that's another story for another time.

Edited by Shane_B.

3 hours ago, garybrun said:

How many hits of acid did you do?

Well, do one more and you will get it! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

That's part of the problem. The format. 

Nah, the best sound system in the world wouldn't make it not boring.

Taking something to make it not boring is the equivalent of beer goggles - she didn't get any better looking, you just think she did.😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

My son, an accomplished musician, composer and arranger, is 46 and to this day still doesn't 'get' The Beatles. He says "they're ok". I still love him anyway.

I was born in 1964... 11th feb to be exact!!

1 hour ago, paulo said:

Same here...lol

12 minutes ago, paulo said:

Nah, the best sound system in the world wouldn't make it not boring.

Taking something to make it not boring is the equivalent of beer goggles - she didn't get any better looking, you just think she did.😉

I didn't say I took it to make it better. :) I can take it or leave it but I will admit I heard things I didn't before. I certainly wasn't doing that when I was a little kid which is when that album came out, but I still loved the album then. As well as the Beatles.

When you lose all the dynamics like in new these new 'remixes' and 'remasters' and compressed lossy formats it's not the same. It is funny what some people find boring and others think is great. My true love is 50 ~ 60's country music. Puts most people to sleep but it triggers my brain. Some of those old recordings back when they were micing a real band in a real room in 1 take through all that analog gear just sounds amazing, to me but puts most people to sleep. 

• Like 1

I love 50's and 60's music. Seem so simple  (maybe the same)  but you seem to know what is coming next.
The one hit wonders of "two pints of lager and and a packet of crisps please" and other covers of old artists... but not may originals.

I love music... cant explain what it is.
I work a lot with youth and church music, write my own too.
To see people with Alzheimer's and how music influence's them and brings them back to normality... just lows me away.

Music can make me cry, happy...  just one record can take me back to years ago... the sight, sound, smell... emotional roller coaster ride!!

• Like 2

The Legend of Pink Floyd roots to the sixties, flower power and drugs and those things . . . . . Listen to Ummagumma (1969) or Atom Heart Mother (1970), that's quite different to "Dark side of the Moon" or "Wish you were here" (greatest hits). And they did a lot of recordings like that back in the days. The Wall finally was true commerce, I know several Floyd addicts that simply stated "that's not Floyd". 

For the record: I'll turn 60 this week, so I got a little sense of the late sixties.

To understand Pink Floyd you got to understand the sixties. Subcultur, Flower Power, Drugs.

Jm2C

Cheers

Edited by mkerl
  • Like 1